238 replies to this topic

#41 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 09 July 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

I'm getting much more close games than before, have you tried to, you know, L2P?

Yeah cause when you top damage with 850, and have the only 2-3 kills on the team while everyone else is under 200 it's totally L2P

#42 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

This game is the most balanced it has been since I started playing back in 2012.

#43 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:14 AM

Solo games is a bit different with the new MM, but mostly in the skill department (and not in a good way).

The good thing though is you can teach (assuming you can type fast enough) players to be a little more aggressive in order for teamwork to work better. While you can't really expect your teammates to be efficient, just pointing them in the right (and sometimes wrong) direction and reminding them to focus fire does wonders.

While some things changes, some things do stay the same. The Solo matches are a lot more "consistent", but you have to work at nudging them in the right direction... otherwise they will crumble with you.

#44 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostMartin Oberhofer, on 09 July 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Sometimes the outcome on kills is misleading

Once we were defeated 12v5, but the enemy made a great flank so we lost, BUT it was really a good game

That's one of the primary contributor to player complaint... Missing the forest for the trees. Players become fixated on the end result not acknowledging the quality of the battle that was waged in the process. There are multiple occasions I rolled and or been rolled and the winning team, even having a sound composite score (like your 12v5 example) but that enemy team is essentially held together with bubble gum and bailing wire.

Too many players fail at appreciating finer context...

View PostJohnny Reb, on 10 July 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

Um.. balanced be damned, I was commenting on the elo. Elo, is just one form of "balance" and I think its fooked!

Correction.... Elo is not a form of balance. Elo is simply a tool the game utilizes to "attempt" to construct composite teams of similar strength. Elo cannot in any way shape or form know how that composite team will work together toward their common goal.

In order to have balance, one has to be able to control the equity in all facets of the game, to include the potential actions or inactions of the most volatile catalyst in the game... "us".

"Balance" in terms of equity in human contribution is a myth and anyone who tells you you can balance a game around human contribution is clueless.

Edited by DaZur, 10 July 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#45 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostKaramarka, on 10 July 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Yeah cause when you top damage with 850, and have the only 2-3 kills on the team while everyone else is under 200 it's totally L2P

hey if you had learned to focus all your damage to CT/rear CT or cockpit only that 850 damage should have been more then enough to kill all 12 enemy mechs

i mean god dude L2P ;)

#46 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

I've found the matches to be pretty good, myself. Except playing late night/early morning Pacific time. I guess it's just the low pop forcing the MM to grab anyone who hits launch, but that's when I find matches full of people that leave me staring at my screen and wondering why I'm being punished. I honestly wondered if I had missed an announcement of Clan Trial mechs, after one match.

#47 ktKAPS

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

I use to see more stomps pre-patch compared to now.

Many of my solo drops appear to be close an don't get me wrong, I still see the usual stomp here and there but not as much as before.

#48 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:11 AM

Elo is still fine, they didn't change anything with it. It's just that most of the better players are not in the solo queue any more. They're playing with friends in the group queue.
Now that the solo queue is deserted of groups, it's 90% terribads and newbies left in it. Now every time I drop solo I see people chasing their own tails in the spawn zones, PuG star formation and terribads trying to "teach" newbies how to "play the game".
All the while I can wreak havoc and collect kills while facepalming over the incredible amount of derp left in steering wheel underhive.
And yes, most of the times games tend to be closer, because nobody knows anything about positioning, tactics and aim is usually terrible.

#49 Tipid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationI am not sure.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

been seeing alot more close matches than befor. ;)

#50 SprechenSieSexy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostShredhead, on 10 July 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

Elo is still fine, they didn't change anything with it. It's just that most of the better players are not in the solo queue any more. They're playing with friends in the group queue.
Now that the solo queue is deserted of groups, it's 90% terribads and newbies left in it. Now every time I drop solo I see people chasing their own tails in the spawn zones, PuG star formation and terribads trying to "teach" newbies how to "play the game".
All the while I can wreak havoc and collect kills while facepalming over the incredible amount of derp left in steering wheel underhive.
And yes, most of the times games tend to be closer, because nobody knows anything about positioning, tactics and aim is usually terrible.

Do you base this on your experience?
Since you are a new player and all.

I can inform you that, for new players, it's broken. It's basically unplayable.
Doesn't matter if you "L2P".
Wallet-warrior ********.

#51 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

New players get stuck smack-dab in the middle of ELO and usually above their skill level. This is still profoundly derpy on PGI's part.

That being said, solo is better than it was. Sync drops? Gone. Most premades? Sucked into filling out group queue.

This means you have solo queue as a herd of cats, but at least now the OTHER side is one too.

#52 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

It's a joke out there, I just posted about this, I think it's because of less groups in the PUG que.

#53 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

View Postwanderer, on 10 July 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

New players get stuck smack-dab in the middle of ELO and usually above their skill level. This is still profoundly derpy on PGI's part.

Yep, i made a thread about it too. They shouldn't start in the middle, because than it's no good for themselves, nor their team.

#54 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

Did the OP just demand that PGI fix stupid people?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him learn.

That applies here.

#55 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostSprechenSieSexy, on 10 July 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

Do you base this on your experience?
Since you are a new player and all.

I can inform you that, for new players, it's broken. It's basically unplayable.
Doesn't matter if you "L2P".
Wallet-warrior ********.

Of course this is terrible for new players, that's the essence of what I was trying to say. New players should be eased into the game by having their own queue at first (like 50 games or so) and then get introduced to better Elo ranges with grouped, experienced players on both sides that can take matters into their hands and be an example and teachers for the new players. The terribads that are left in solo queue won't do that.
And a big fat LOL at that "wallet-warrior" bullshit, you knob.
Just found this, lmao:

Siriothrax said:

Solo queue, solo queue
Exists just to **** with you
Bracket builds, every size
Causing pubs, to die like flies
Looook out, you're in the solo queue!
Groups are strong, stomping pubs?
We've got OP clan pack mechs.
Can we shoot your fat head?
Overheat, then you're dead.
Hey there, it's a twelve-oh rolllll.
River cityyyy night,
it's the hundredth time,
your pugs don't fight,
they're practically sliiiime.
Solo queue, solo queue
Idiot overflow solo queue
Move and aim
Is too hard.
Tactics of a ******.
To wit, pubs are going to be crying
As they keep on dying
Even in the solo queue!

btw: https://twitter.com/...252642821718016

Edited by Shredhead, 10 July 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#56 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

I've been having some great matches. Everyone seems to work together with some form of extrasensory perception.

#57 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

I can't agree with the op. Some of the best matches I've had in a very long time since the new MM dropped both in the solo and group queues.

#58 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Sure I have bad strings of games, but for the most part it is way better. Way way better.

View PostLynx7725, on 09 July 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

PUGs can't learn in the solo queue

I disagree. It is much easier to learn what not to do if you don't die in the first 30 seconds and leave the game permanently.

View PostShredhead, on 10 July 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

PUGs are terrible and only terrible people PUG

It is like everyone that is not part of the PUG crowd and plays exclusively in groups is a god's gift to mankind pilot or something....

I can't disagree with this statement enough and I don't understand all the derogatory rhetoric that gets flung around. There are plenty of extremely skilled pilots (I am not one of them, I am just average at best) that play solo. Solo play is much different than group play and requires completely different skills. The top level of solo play probably would be a very, very competitive environment (I know just speculation on my part). Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with group play but you have to recognize there are skilled and unskilled people in both camps alike and the ratio is about the same between them.

Edited by Chagatay, 10 July 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#59 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Overall the MM has been pretty good, some times I stomp, sometimes I'm stomped but mostly I have fun fights (and to be fair, even some stomps can be entertaining and more hard fought than the final score suggests).

#60 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostKaramarka, on 09 July 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Grats, one time i played counterstrike and got 5 headshots in a row. Averages/statistics my friend, a stomp is more common.

Cool. Lets see your data that proves the average pug game is a stomp. Don't have the data, and using your own anecdotal experiences to color your opinion? Color me shocked.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users