Pug Games Worse Than Ever

238 replies to this topic

#61 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Lead by example. Often the new guys will follow.
Show them strike and move.. Maybe mention occasionally looking at the mini map to stay with the thick of the team.

#62 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostDaZur, on 09 July 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

;) Wow... Players still think there is some magic mathematical algorithm that can clandestinely influence the outcome of a game.

Game mechanics = unregulated.
Human element = unpredictable.
Elo = unreliable.

End result = Chaos.

And in Chaos...Khorne is king. Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skullthrone!

Amidst the chaos of 'mech warfare, the "good player" is the one that can read the situation and dish out pain the most effectively. Reading the pugball is an art.

#63 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostChagatay, on 10 July 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Sure I have bad strings of games, but for the most part it is way better. Way way better.

I disagree. It is much easier to learn what not to do if you don't die in the first 30 seconds and leave the game permanently.

It is like everyone that is not part of the PUG crowd and plays exclusively in groups is a god's gift to mankind pilot or something....

I can't disagree with this statement enough and I don't understand all the derogatory rhetoric that gets flung around. There are plenty of extremely skilled pilots

No, there aren't plenty, hence my 90% terribads and newbies estimation. There are indeed good solo players, but they are rare and inbetween.

(I am not one of them, I am just average at best) that play solo. Solo play is much different than group play and requires completely different skills.

I agree. Grouped up you can rely on your teammates not to be complete ***** and base your positioning and tactics solely on map, gamemode and movement direction, while dropping solo your positioning only relies on where the other PuGs are (going).

The top level of solo play probably would be a very, very competitive environment (I know just speculation on my part).

That's impossible due to the Elo system. Would it be based on real ranking, it could be.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with group play but you have to recognize there are skilled and unskilled people in both camps alike and the ratio is about the same between them.

There are indeed skilled and unskilled people in both camps, but the ratio is not even slightly comparable. That's due to the nature of (MWO's) solo queue and missing forms of communication.

#64 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

I could see the argument for having a separate new player queue for say, the first 100 games or so, that ALL new players fit into, and get sorted into ELO...and then THAT is the ELO they play with upon entering the big kid queue.

I do NOT have information at my fingertips to know what that would do to the MM though.

#65 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 09 July 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

River City. Alpha, GTFO of B4. Get out. At once. Go. Go fast, go now, quit freaking standing up there until the other team rolls you. Charlie, conversely, GTFO of C2. Go to D4 with the rest of your team. Go fast, don't delay, sprint like an SOB.

Why nobody gets this....

My finger is usually on the W key even before the match start countdown ends. "Git there fastest with the mostest" usually works.

#66 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Confused by the "Elo don't work crowd" in the solo queue. I have now dropped 75+ drops since the change and not once have I been in Charlie lance. I am assuming that this has to do with Elo but I would be more then willing to listen to why I am wrong.

I am not saying that Elo stops facerolls, I am just saying that it does have an effect in group composition. Once we are able to fully deflate the artificially high Elo scores(comparative to their skill) of some players I think it will lead to even better games.

#67 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostScreech, on 10 July 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

Confused by the "Elo don't work crowd" in the solo queue. I have now dropped 75+ drops since the change and not once have I been in Charlie lance. I am assuming that this has to do with Elo but I would be more then willing to listen to why I am wrong.

I am not saying that Elo stops facerolls, I am just saying that it does have an effect in group composition. Once we are able to fully deflate the artificially high Elo scores(comparative to their skill) of some players I think it will lead to even better games.

In the Solo queue it means the matchmaker chose you as one of the first 4 to fill the team. Nothing to to with Elo except that you matched the target Elo.

#68 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

There no honor anymore. i guess 6 lrm boats 6 snipers with 8 smoke strikes is the norm.

******* thanks for the fun times house of lords and steel jag *cough*

I remember when the point of the game was to play your mech, build your own unique build and be GOOD in it, totally original.

Now I only play to fight the meta, with lasers.

#69 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostBilbo, on 10 July 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

In the Solo queue it means the matchmaker chose you as one of the first 4 to fill the team. Nothing to to with Elo except that you matched the target Elo.

Do we have anything saying that? I find it extremely hard to believe that it is random when I have never been in Charlie since the change. Have you been in Charlie lance in the solo queue since the change?

It just seem very odd that if it is random as you say that I have not been in Charlie since as it should be a 1 in 3 chance if random.

#70 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

View Postjaxjace, on 10 July 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

There no honor anymore. i guess 6 lrm boats 6 snipers with 8 smoke strikes is the norm.

******* thanks for the fun times house of lords and steel jag *cough*

I remember when the point of the game was to play your mech, build your own unique build and be GOOD in it, totally original.

Now I only play to fight the meta, with lasers.

You sound mad.

#71 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostScreech, on 10 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Do we have anything saying that? I find it extremely hard to believe that it is random when I have never been in Charlie since the change. Have you been in Charlie lance in the solo queue since the change?

It just seem very odd that if it is random as you say that I have not been in Charlie since as it should be a 1 in 3 chance if random.

I have. It's not often, though, and usually after a long wait.

#72 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 July 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

You sound mad.

and you sound 13

#73 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostScreech, on 10 July 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

I have only been in Alpha lance since the queue changes. It's certainly not random. And it ain't ping or loading into the match specific either

#74 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostKaramarka, on 09 July 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Grats, one time i played counterstrike and got 5 headshots in a row. Averages/statistics my friend, a stomp is more common.

While playing in the solo queue, the vast majority of my games end with the losing team having at least 5 kills. That's not a stomp; that's actually a pretty close game due to the way momentum cascades in a game like this.

Yes, there is the occasional 12-0 or 2-12 stomp, but those are the anomalies and not the other way around. In fact I've had more 12-9/9-12 or closer games than 12-2/2-12 or worse games. I've had several 11-12 games, in fact, and FINALLY got the "Survivor" achievement (which is a 12-11 game). Let me tell ya, getting almost 800 damage, 4 kills, and 7 assists in a LOSS is frustrating! :P

Generally speaking, the quality of the solo queue has been pretty good at my Elo rating. No idea where that is in comparison to yours, but stomps just aren't happening all that often at my level.

#75 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 10 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I have only been in Alpha lance since the queue changes. It's certainly not random. And it ain't ping or loading into the match specific either

Same here. I suck at forum search so I can't find it, but someone posted an explanation from one of the devs and it has nothing to do with Elo rating.

I can't see a pattern to it. I'm clearly not the best person on my team, nor am I the worst. But for some reason I've been in Alpha every match while soloing since the Clans came out.

#76 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 10 July 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Lead by example. Often the new guys will follow.
Show them strike and move.. Maybe mention occasionally looking at the mini map to stay with the thick of the team.

they don't. I have every game today told the team where to go and what to do. Win or lose they don't.

I'm on point super aggresive top dam and kills pretty much every game.

they just mouth breathing turtled up no movement scrubs

edit: literally post that, very next game actually had pilots I recognized. still most of the other players just pottered about getting thrashed.

Edited by Ghogiel, 10 July 2014 - 10:16 AM.

#77 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Yesterday was a good play day in solos and even got stomped a few times due to my team not coming together. Its pretty obvious when that happens as the games still go long without reams of concentrated fire. Saw the Russ tweet and it looks like they have a handle on it so it will get better. Have faith guys and hang in there.

#78 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostShredhead, on 10 July 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

No, there aren't plenty, hence my 90% terribads and newbies estimation. There are indeed good solo players, but they are rare and inbetween.

I think you underestimate people too much, but hey we can agree to disagree.

View PostShredhead, on 10 July 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

That's impossible due to the Elo system. Would it be based on real ranking, it could be.

A valid point. PGI will probably need to make more elo buckets for solo play. 3 is probably too low but someone will need to suggest that to them on whatever platform they use to communicate with at the present...seems that is the twitter thing-a-ma-jig-do-hicky now which I don't use because I am too old for that crap.

View PostGhogiel, on 10 July 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

they don't. I have every game today told the team where to go and what to do. Win or lose they don't.

I'm on point super aggressive top dam and kills pretty much every game.

they just mouth breathing turtled up no movement scrubs

edit: literally post that, very next game actually had pilots I recognized. still most of the other players just pottered about getting thrashed.

Well it happens, people are risk adverse. Especially in the jungle and all. Keep being aggressive though as it is generally a good/winning play (even if you die). As long as you state your action and then fearlessly commit usually you can get a few people to follow.

Edited by Chagatay, 10 July 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#79 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostBilbo, on 10 July 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

I have. It's not often, though, and usually after a long wait.

OK, I guess I will give it another 100 or so games and really pay attention to composition.

View PostRoadkill, on 10 July 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

Same here. I suck at forum search so I can't find it, but someone posted an explanation from one of the devs and it has nothing to do with Elo rating.

I can't see a pattern to it. I'm clearly not the best person on my team, nor am I the worst. But for some reason I've been in Alpha every match while soloing since the Clans came out.

Really would be interested in finding that post(I tried and failed) as there is something changed and would like to know what.

#80 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostHeeden, on 09 July 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

That absolutely solved the problem with the solo queue. If you change "people are stupid" to "people are less skilled/experienced" it makes a huge difference that those players are no longer getting farmed by groups with the organisational skills to remove any chance of a half-decent learning experience.

Sometimes I see the last few mechs alive all being played by some pretty poor players, but it's good that they're getting that chance to learn more and actually play the game. When it was the norm to get PuG-stomped the last alive would usually get instagibbed.

I was thinking along these lines myself.I have actually in a few matches where I thought it may make a difference "backseated" a bit to give tips to what looked like a shinny brand new noob in a champ mech floundering about.

I think it helped a bit.

I know that there are some players who will firmly disagree with me when I say every player of MWo should find a player run unit to join right from the get go.Step One should be find a unit.The benefits received by having access to experienced players and training are HUGE.

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users