#21 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

I run my DDC like this: AS7-D-DC

It might seem like it is undergunned with the med lasers, but the point of this build is to be able to fire for as long as possible at point blank. You can't run away to cool down in an atlas. All the weapons have 4s cycle time, so they work really well with torso twisting. I have killed plenty of less heat efficient assaults once they shut down after causing me 150-200 damage. You are a sitting duck past 270m though, so you need to be sneaky.

#22 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

I run my D with 4LL and an AC20, and my DDC with 3SSRMs, 2LL, and an AC20. Works pretty well.

#23 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Can always cause trouble with this. Old School. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f25dbe7e44ac506

#24 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostAegic, on 21 July 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Can always cause trouble with this. Old School. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f25dbe7e44ac506

:D While the old school idea is commendable, you could prolly try this instead http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3907fb6d2437c8c

Your exact same weapons loadout with more heat efficiency and a whole 10km/h faster speed. The ammo storage that you had, with everything on the left side, is probably not the best idea neither. Yes, most people will automatically aim for your right side (rightfully so...pun), but if they take out your left side, you AC20 becomes useless as well in your case, leaving you with only 3MLs (half the fire power of a jenner).

Stripping some armor off the legs is never a problem on an atlas, beeb using them alot before I took a break, and maybe been legged once or twice tops. Taking some back armor and putting it on your front is sorta a flavor thing I guess, but I find it to be more effecient that way, cuz hell if you're caught alone somewhere and get pecked to death by faster mechs, you're prolly in the infamous "LRM boat" atlas anyways...which uh, is a bad idea in itself imo :).

I used to like stripping off some head armor and putting it elsewhere or just to free up tonnage, but then I got cockpit sniped twice in a row in my lumbering giant. Could be the ammo in the face blew up since some lucky hit stripped off the armor with a glance, but yeah no longer risking that, 18 armor it is! Atleast in the atlas.

Edited by Saiyajin12, 21 July 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#25 tm10067

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

My new D variant for pug runs.
AS7-D

DDC is nothing to invent, AC20 + 3ASRM6 still do the job.

#26 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 22 July 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

quoted a deleted post

Times have changed, man. Atlas can't use old tricks against clan mechs anymore. Imagine you have to fight a Daishi armed with uAC20, 2xuAC10 and 4 medium lasers. If you spend 1 second firing medium/large lasers that gives the enemy the time to fire all his uACs... almost twice. He will punch trough your side torso first it you stare at him.
So what do you propose? Arming your Atlas with nothing but AC20+3xA-SRM6 and ambushing enemies?
I tend prefer to use a pinpoint 40 damage alpha and spend the next 4 seconds twisted away from the enemy. A Timber Wolf cannot use his speed advantage when it's legged. And there's always a chance for a lucky headshot.

I tried running Large Pulse Lasers but found them lacking. According to my stats:
LPL 6,31 damage per hit (4.42 per shot with 70.13% accuracy)
PPC 10.07 damage per hit (5,42 per shot with 53.87% accuracy)

According to my stats, I deal 498,2 damage per match using PPCs. It seems to be the second most dependable weapon, after AC5. Not only the PPC has damage advantage over LPL, but all this damage is pinpoint. If a TW shows his missile pod around the corner, I can nail it before it an react.

And, also according to my stats I do more damage per match using LRM5s then I do using LRM15s.

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 23 July 2014 - 01:10 AM.

#27 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

Since I'm no friend of the "Assaults are bulletsponges" philosophy and in my opinion brawling is one of the most stupid things you can do with large stompy robots in a team game and since one is encountering Clanmechs with superior ranged weapons all the time, diversity for weapon load outs on Atlas is pretty restricted. This one delivers decent firepower in all situations, isn't too vulnerable against light swarms and with sensor range module it will have an awsome sensor range even if your enemy fields ECM. D-DC

#28 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have gotten good results from AC20, 3 ASRM 6's, and 2 LL with a std 330 on my DDC. As for the D I've been playing with 2 LPL, 2 ML, and AC20 with a std 360.

Edited by Sword of Morning, 26 July 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#29 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

I like 3 regular large lasers + AC20 (4 Tons ammo), 4 DHS, 350 Standard engine on the Atlas D.
Take off 11 points of armour from each leg. When it gets hot chain fire the lazors.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 26 July 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#30 OldCowboy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

i've been running this build for a long time now. Before clan invasion and stat resets it had a k\d of around 2.7
i recently came back and only have a few hours of play and it runs around 2.0 By far my best atlas build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1f2ecbab9829a71

Edited by Sekzone, 10 August 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#31 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 23 July 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

Times have changed, man. Atlas can't use old tricks against clan mechs anymore. Imagine you have to fight a Daishi armed with uAC20, 2xuAC10 and 4 medium lasers. If you spend 1 second firing medium/large lasers that gives the enemy the time to fire all his uACs... almost twice. He will punch trough your side torso first it you stare at him.
So what do you propose? Arming your Atlas with nothing but AC20+3xA-SRM6 and ambushing enemies?
I tend prefer to use a pinpoint 40 damage alpha and spend the next 4 seconds twisted away from the enemy. A Timber Wolf cannot use his speed advantage when it's legged. And there's always a chance for a lucky headshot.

I tried running Large Pulse Lasers but found them lacking. According to my stats:
LPL 6,31 damage per hit (4.42 per shot with 70.13% accuracy)
PPC 10.07 damage per hit (5,42 per shot with 53.87% accuracy)

According to my stats, I deal 498,2 damage per match using PPCs. It seems to be the second most dependable weapon, after AC5. Not only the PPC has damage advantage over LPL, but all this damage is pinpoint. If a TW shows his missile pod around the corner, I can nail it before it an react.

And, also according to my stats I do more damage per match using LRM5s then I do using LRM15s.

you know, i made that post a really long while ago, i havent been here in all that time and since my post was deleted I can't really carry the conversation anymore. I don't even know why it was deleted because I don't remember what was in there, but I'll try to keep this conversation going.

weapons, in this case - battle mechs, are nothing more than glorified hammers. While a good carpenter can make better use of better hammers, most people are not good carpenters.

in the context of this game, at least in random games, when solo dropping you dont encounter groups of intelligent players frequently so the best way to win a random game is to stack meta and camp around the water holes, maybe even put down a salt lick so that all of the less skilled players come to you for their deaths and the good players on the opposite team are left outnumbered.

what it really comes down to is most people although THINKING they are unique and supremely intelligent are still just dumb animals running on instinct and preconditioned reflexes. Humans can be trapped just like any animal if you know their habits and since poor gameplay is a majority habit there are always some things in there you can use that are virtually universal meta abusers. Don't get me wrong either, I'm not somehow exempt from this fact just because I recognize its existence. Every human being no matter how intelligent or talented has buttons you can push for a desired effect and habits they are slave to unless they both know the habit is there and recognize its potential negative effects which itself is difficult to do unless you have some knowledge of the future. It is a fact of life. If there was a ffa mode however, it would still be whomever can farm the defenseless players the fastest, and the only place where individual skill and ability is genuinely most important is in duel settings that amount to more than stand across from each other and dps until someone runs out of hitpoints, and

I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you cannot beat good players or better mechs just kill all their teammates until you outnumber them and there's nothing they can do because the damage race meta always wins. Of course with that said there's the matter of finding the right combination of damage output/speed/range, in which ecm can compensate for many holes in the ratio because most people only react to what their hud tells them.

but please for the love of god don't make a sniper d-dc or an lrm atlas. Atlas is a brawling god because it spreads damage magnificently and can pack a good close range punch. ECM only augments this for aformentioned reasons.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 August 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#32 Thanik

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostVeryVizzy, on 12 July 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

I highly recommend something of this flavour for the DDC:

2 LBX10, 3 SRM6 + A, 2 Medium Lasers, ECM, STD 325 engine

LBX10's are hardly flavour of the month, but couple them with 18 tubes of SRM and you can do some very satisfying melee damage. I won't lie, it can be tricky to get into optimal weapon range but once you do, everything melts and it's probably the most fun I have in this game :)

Edit: Quick comparison of 2x LBX10s v AC20

Pros (2x LBX10):
Much lower heat,
Faster weapon cycling (cooldown),
Bonus to crit damage
I'd also argue they're better for legging lights, but that's subjective.

Cons (2x LBX10):
Damage is spread (negligible at sub 99m, tolerable from 100-270m, anything more than that is only really good for grabbing assists),
Weighs more and takes more crit space (12 slots and 22 tonnes v 10 slots and 14 tonnes)

AC20s are fantastic weapons, however in my opinion they run too hot coupled with 3 very toasty SRM 6s.

Chainfiring 2 x LB10x on one button and 3x ASRM6 on another is the funniest thing ever. The cockpit shake is so relentless that people think they're being targetted by 6 mechs and just panic. Plus the heat is sustainable for days if you don't fire lasers.

Of course this is pug matches with my terrible elo, so ymmv :P

Edited by Thanik, 13 September 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#33 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 23 July 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Since I'm no friend of the "Assaults are bulletsponges" philosophy and in my opinion brawling is one of the most stupid things you can do with large stompy robots in a team game and since one is encountering Clanmechs with superior ranged weapons all the time, diversity for weapon load outs on Atlas is pretty restricted. This one delivers decent firepower in all situations, isn't too vulnerable against light swarms and with sensor range module it will have an awsome sensor range even if your enemy fields ECM. D-DC

One of the most frustrating things in pug matches is assault mechs sitting it out. You need assault mechs to break through. This doesn't mean you just storm in like a headless chicken, but it does mean that you should soak up the first wave(s) of damage so you light/medium/heavy's don't have to. When you are on a team that understands this and follows you into battle you can roll over any enemy team in minutes. Not sure what you mean by saying it is a bad idea because it is a team game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users