Jump Jet Heat Penalty

No replies to this topic

#1 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

All of the finagling and borking around with the jump jets to try and get things balanced has led me to a conclusion: That it's impossible in the current methodology. PGI has been hitting symptoms and making it somewhat less appealing without going for the throat to limit the poptarting and making it no longer the strictly best tactic out there. As such, I have a suggestion.

What should occur, when one fires their jump jets, or the jump jet gauge is not full, that you automatically incur an X% increase in heat when firing your weapons while in the air. This would compound with ghost heat (should ghost heat be incurred), and become an automatic detriment to this tactic.

If I may, an example. Say you're taking an IS mech with 1 PPC and jump jets. While firing the PPCs on the ground, you would generate 10 heat, which would require some time to cool off. Now, if you, instead, decided to fire the PPCs while in the air or while the jump jet gauge is not full, you would generate an extra 20% heat from each weapon. So, in the aforementioned example, you would now generate 12 heat rather than 10. Now, say you were to do this with 2 PPCs, you would generate 24 per shot.

This may not seem like a lot, but consider, now. Most jump snipers fire more than just 2 PPCs in the air, usually in the area of 2 PPC + 2 AC5, for a total of 22 heat. Plus the additional penalty, that number increases to 26.4 heat. If someone were dumb enough to fire 3 PPCs, that number would stack with the ghost heat penalty in place for firing 3 PPCs simultaneously.

This actually would change the number of times that jump snipers would be able to fire before waiting to cool down. Also, while the jump gauge is recharging, you still incur the penalty. Imagine, for a moment, what would happen to said jump sniper if a brawler got in range and the gauge wasn't full. Each time they fired, they would incur the penalty until the gauge recharged.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users