#21 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostCerberias, on 04 September 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Wow, there are some seriously puggish (i.e. terrible) timbie builds in here. Thanks for providing easy kills to the real builds out there.

Thanks for being a jerk about it. Remember not everyone who plays this game is in RHoD. Some people actually play this game just for fun.

How about instead of just going thanks for being puggy badz you actually contribute to the thread next time with actual suggestions since you seem to know all about the REAL builds.

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 04 September 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#22 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

MG's are bad because sustained fire means sustained failure to torso twist. LRM's are terrible because they're easily countered, trade badly in almost all situations, and once again require a staring contest. Oh and the enemy can essentially choose exactly where your missiles are going to hit (usually including rocks/walls). Then there are the fine tuning things, such as small lasers being a waste of energy slots when you could just use a medlas for half a tonne more (and better everything), ammo in side torso's instead of arms go boom to lower survivability (and hence heat requirement of the enemy mechs). SRM's are generally fairly bad because; 1. pugs are too uncoordinated to brawl effectively 99% of the time, and they add extra hit locations to your mech for ease of destruction. PPC's are spread damage heat inefficient and virtually useless at range with the speed nerf, so while they could be reasonable for a brawl build the throughput and TTK is terrible compared to lasers. Oh and UAC's are terrible, once again sustained dps requiring sustained exposure time is never a good thing. You'll be beaten every time by the guy that pops out for a high damage alpha.

High alpha, range and sustained dps are what will kill the enemies before they kill you, so building mechs around none of these will generally lower your damage exponentially (as enemy will be less pressured over time, meaning more shots onto your position and lower survivability for yourself.

Edited by Cerberias, 04 September 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#23 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yes I agree. Except LRMs can be effective but require multiple people working together, terrible for a solo player. SRMs is preference based. Not terrible but require a certain proximity to the target. MGs while they can be super cool when your enemy has no clue what he or she is doing, are also just a waste on something like the Timberwolf unless your willing to trade AMS for them or have nothing else to fill the tonnage and space otherwise. MGs are far more effective things on stuff like the Ember or Firestarter because you have the speed to out maneuver and work best when paired with lasers to get faster crippling shots on exposed internals or removing an enemies legs. Lasers on the Timber are my number 1 goto weapon of choice. I have one build with NARC and 3 LRM15s but only run it when I'm grouped on coms and that's the modus operandi of the team.

You'll see a much better return for tonnage vs Damage using laser combinations like the C-LPL and C-ERML combo. Unfortunately that is pretty much the meta and I understand that there are more then a few pilots that actively avoid it as such.

#24 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Problem with LRM's is that even if you are running them as a team, a well positioned enemy team can completely negate your weaponry. They just have to think long enough to stop running stupid pugstrats and they might realise. Also, I run 3 erlarge/gauss, but obviously that's a very long range mech, and won't compare to the standard meta in closer range.

Edited by Cerberias, 04 September 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#25 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostCerberias, on 04 September 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Problem with LRM's is that even if you are running them as a team, a well positioned enemy team can completely negate your weaponry. They just have to think long enough to stop running stupid pugstrats and they might realise. Also, I run 3 erlarge/gauss, but obviously that's a very long range mech, and won't compare to the standard meta in closer range.

Fortunately, and very sadly, very few people have realized how to play the maps outside of the A-typical molds that were established in the pug scene. Even though there are much more effective places to battle.

We had a beautiful game on Alpine playing off of H12-13 instead of the typical H10 hill I wish we had video of.

#26 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 04 September 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

not sure why you would boat one of the most sh**t weapons (PPC) via nerf on a Timberwolf that can do other things infinitely better

Challenge to do more damage and snipe, by firing one PPC at a time from behind cover.

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 04 September 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

I'd remove 2 of those things and look at some SRMs.

That would just kill the long range, high heat challenge I created for myself.

View PostCerberias, on 04 September 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Wow, there are some seriously puggish (i.e. terrible) timbie builds in here. Thanks for providing easy kills to the real builds out there.

I bet I could out damage you, out maneuver you, any day snowflake.

- Edit -

In case anyone is curious. And no, I do not use jumpjets.

TBR-C

Edited by Ryvucz, 05 September 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#27 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

2 large pulse 4 er medium. Done.

#28 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

Sure you could mate. That build isn't terrible at all.. hahhahahahahahah.. nice throughput lololol

Pretty sure I just got trolled.

Edited by Cerberias, 05 September 2014 - 03:16 AM.

#29 LtColVeers

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnion-class DropShip Ofnir, Supernova First, 10th Wolf Guards, Icar lower orbit

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

http://www.mechspecs...php?board=225.0
Just try the build that suits you best falcon...

#30 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostRyvucz, on 04 September 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Challenge to do more damage and snipe, by firing one PPC at a time from behind cover.

That would just kill the long range, high heat challenge I created for myself.

I bet I could out damage you, out maneuver you, any day snowflake.

- Edit -

In case anyone is curious. And no, I do not use jumpjets.

TBR-C

Sorry but thats bad. I dont think you would have a slightest chance against him.

You loose an arm, you loose 50% of armaments. Very "valid" build sir.

3x cERLL 2x SRM 6 + artemis...

Semi Comp build with Pug situation diversity. You keep your distance, engage at cERLL range (optimal one if possible) You use SRMs for enemy pushes, luring backstabing lights from allies back, and decent for Close range brawl.

Edited by MechB Kotare, 13 September 2014 - 06:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users