Third Orion And A Thing Or Two.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Quillon

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Trying to decide what to do about my third Orion, right now I'm thinking about one of these two builds: Orion-M support or Orion-VA SRM

Either of these worth trying, not worth bothering with, or perhaps workable with adjustments? On a note, I already own a Protector and a K, and usually try to stick with either the stock engine(if it's not poorly suited) or use an engine I already own(which leaves either a STD-300 or STD-275). Though I'm not entirely adverse to buying a new engine if it's a STD....

Also, while not immediately looking to get one, been thinking of something like this should I ever decide to grab a Quickdraw 4G. Think it's usable? Last, I know it's not a heavy, but was thinking of trying this alternate build(purely equip swap) on my BJ-1DC and was wondering if it seems usable?

On one final note, thank you for taking the time to read and/or provide feedback.And sorry if the links are initially broken or anything, heh.

#2 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

The VA is a far superior LRMboat IMHO, but in that configuration, you're going to bother some people if you're a good brawler. If you really wanted to drive people crazy, do that as an LRM5 boat.

That M configuration could lose the LRM 20 for an LRM 15. I would convert the tonnage into a bigger engine (XL325/335 range) or more ammo. You could also get away with 1 ERLL and 1ML combo... works very very well in my experience. Again, bigger engine, more ammo.

That's just another opinion of course.

#3 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

About your VA- Artemis is pretty much unnecessary on SRM-4s unless you really really want to spend all your time hunting light 'mechs (which requires an even larger engine so you can actually track the darn things). The missile spread just isn't that large to begin with. Save the C-bills and four tons of weight for something more useful- bigger engine, more heat sinks, AMS, something like that.

Concerning your M- This is not the Orion to go to for missile support- if you're really dying to hurl LRMs, you want a V or VA- the added tubes and missile hardpoints are much more useful than having two backup lasers and TAG instead of picking between a second laser and the TAG. If you're carrying Large Lasers, you can afford to make them ER and then you really shouldn't bother with the TAG- anything you have line of sight on should be shot with the lasers instead so you can strip armor from a selected location rather than spatter damage everywhere. By a similar rote, Artemis on LRM launchers only works if you have direct line of sight- and again, in that case you should be using your direct fire weapons instead so as not to consume ammo unnecessarily or risk losing shots when an enemy ducks behind terrain after you fire.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 24 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#4 Quillon

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

I see, from the sound of it I'll probably be better off with a VA build. Wasn't too concerned with the cost since I already have all but one of the launchers, but you make a good point; the spread of the SRM-4s doesn't seem big enough to justify sinking 4 tons into it instead of something like heatsinks.

Do these builds seem better?
VA SRM + AMS
VA SRM + BIgger Engine
VA LRM-20
VA LRM-40 (changed it around a little from initial posting)

Edited by Quillon, 24 July 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#5 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Nearly my "Pain Train" build that got me two games with 8 kills and over 1400 damage on a few occasions. My best missile boat ever.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...78c2803197d7bfd

BTW, except for Gauss ammo, never store it in the arm.

Edited by Kjudoon, 24 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#6 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 July 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

BTW, except for Gauss ammo, never store it in the arm.

I'm going to call this not an advisable position to take, actually. Whether it's safe to store ammo in arms depends entirely on the 'mech. For an Orion ammo in the arms isn't bad, really. The ON1 rarely takes serious arm shots- most stuff hits the big shoulders and body. Mind, it's not super-advisable (enemies rarely try to leg an Orion, so in its case the legs are safer than the arms) but you're unlikely to see serious pain out of arm-stored ammunition.

Quillon-

SRM+ AMS: This looks pretty good. As long as you don't provoke ghost heat by rapid-firing all four SRM racks, this looks like a really strong ambush heavy- jump out at someone, unload a few spreads of missiles and laser fire, duck behind a building to cool off. Fast enough to pull that off too, and with a standard engine, it can afford to draw attention.

SRM+ Engine: Also a nice ambush option. Less capable at sinking its heat than the other, but faster, which means getting into SRM range more easily. I could see either of these first two working out quite nicely.

LRM-20: Nice! With the concentrated LRM-5 damage, you can strip the armor off a heavy/assault's center torso and then tear it up once it's in view via the ERLLs. I highly approve of this model.

LRM-40: An interesting alternative. Given the short-range firepower winds up being just a pair of medium lasers, you may want to consider either using an XL engine or a slower engine so you can fit a ballistic weapon of significance (AC/10 or 20, or an LB-X) or upgrade those medium lasers to standard larges- but not ER Larges because those LRM-15s generate enough heat at long range, thanks. A little less specialized of a long range bombardment, so don't get too enthused about LRMing lights, but I can see this working as well.

I like all of the builds you've put together here. These all look workable (although that LRM-40 one is likely to be really vulnerable at close ranges).

I hope you don't intend on using those exact armor values- your rear armor on the side torsos is really heavy, and were I you, I'd consider shunting 3-4 points of that armor forwards- Orions take a lot of face damage in combat, and with the high speeds you've got these things chugging along at, you can relatively easily keep your rear facing out of fire.

#7 Haggle

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

The VA with 2xSRM6+A,2xSRM4+A,AC20,2xML, AMS is my favorite ambush mech. With a near-80 Point alpha, it can melt many mechs if positioned right. Bad mech on caustic and alpine, but anywhere you can setup an ambush, preferably with a wingman turning their backs towards you makes this my favorite heavy.

#8 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'd just like to say that you should consider a bigger engine for your VA build... Much bigger... 360XL big.

Yes, I'm serious, I've had good results with the 360XL in Orions. F***er moves with a big engine, and if you play it right makes for a decent heavy skirmisher/cavalry mech. As a bonus, if you don't like the 360XL in there, it is the max engine for most of the 55 ton mechs, and re-purposing it to one of them would do wonders for turning it into a light hunter.

#9 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

This is my ON1-M: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a344239e502f4d9

It's not a Mech to start fights, it's one to finish them. :) Support a friendly assault and let him peal armour, then come in and go crit hunting with the LB-10X and 3 ASRM4's.

Still one of my favourites even with owning the full Clan lineup, 3+ kills a match are not uncommon.

Edited by GTV Zeratul, 17 August 2014 - 12:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users