Wish Me A Speedy Recovery

99 replies to this topic

#61 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 22 August 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

I have muscle relaxants but.. I am very hesitant to use any drugs. In truth I am terrified of drugs and their effects and what can happen could happen... I don't like using any of them. I might use one later if it gets bad, but only if it gets unbearable...

As someone else who HATES taking any scrips ... yeah. I know the feeling. Sitting here with a 4.5mm kidney stone lodged in my ureter... no fun. When it moves, it feels like someone has stuffed a brick into my lower back (and that's just to start).

On the pain pills - remember, never stop them cold turkey, especially the really effective ones. Some of them you shouldn't even START cold turkey. Something else to watch out for... seems lots of scrips can cause constipation! If you get dry mouth from all the junk, biotene mouth moisturizer is great. If you're having trouble getting enough protien to rebuild and you HATE the powder, look for a good-high quality liquid protien/amnio acid - talk to your doctor about this, obviously. Ask your PT guys if they know of any local places you can workout with water-weights in a pool - high resistance with low impact.

Other than that ... what was the vehicle you were in when you got hit? I used to work at a junkyard as the body-panel dude, so i've seen a lot of mangled cars. Minivans actually are some of the WORST things to get hit by these days ... the seinna and sierra as of about four or five years ago weighed 6,000-6,600 pounds or more and are/were built like brick-poophouses. Airbags - yes, they're quite terrifying, aren't they? Having the fun of setting off a few remotely at a long distance away for kicks you find out those things are DANGEROUS! Turns out that side-curtain airbags that drop down can actually decapitate you if you are leaning your head against the window. TBH I would rather see fewer airbags and better restraints (one over each sholder + lapbelt) and a tougher body "cage." Some of these airbags are crazy-dangerous if you aren't strapped in tight and exactly where you were designed to be.

#62 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 23 August 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

It was a 2001 (or 2003) Toyota Sienna. That model was ranked the safest car of the year (not kidding) and in the crash it preformed well. The Minivan that hit us I have no idea.

Pardon, the 6,600 is the max total working weight on those vans. Their curb weight is about 3,800-4,000 lbs.

I've chopped up several siennas ... those things are well built. Or at least were two or three years ago!

I was knocked out cold and only have a brief fleeting image of it in my head (45 minutes of memory loss and all). It had both side, front, and I think ceiling airbags. I was hit by the side airbag (straight on I was in prefect alignment with it) straight in the temple which caused my memory loss.

That would have been the side-curtain airbag. It runs along the entire top side of the passenger compartment by the grab handles and drops (explodes is more like it) downwards.

I woke up and I just see my lap is covered in shattered glass, My hands and face are crusty with blood (I had a rather intense head laceration from high speed glass and am still plucking pieces out -not lying-), and a lump sticking up in my leg where that shattered bit broke away.

... my dad was picking glass out of his scalp 30 years after a pretty gnarly accident. The stuff is all but impossible to get rid of.

In the Hospital the nurses were surprised I was going so long without Painkillers and let me tell you I was doing it barely. Finally the head Nurse said "Enough. You are sitting here about to crack your clenched teeth. You are getting pain meds." I took a few for the next 2 weeks and quit them as soon as the pain was manageable.

Heh ... if you could have done it with a straight face ... you should have asked for a leather belt to bite on. :D

No PT until my leg can be walked on. When It can I will have PT for 3 months and it will take a full year to finally rebuild the muscle back to where it was.

I am getting all the nutrients I need. My only problem was maintaining my hemoglobin (because of the blood loss). I had one transfusion of blood and I am on vitamin drops to increase my Calcium and Vitamin D.

My dad has an internal bleeding problem and strangely enough, the LP helps keep his counts up, even though he's already getting iron suppliments.

#63 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 23 August 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

It was a 2001 (or 2003) Toyota Sienna. That model was ranked the safest car of the year (not kidding) and in the crash it preformed well. The Minivan that hit us I have no idea. I was knocked out cold and only have a brief fleeting image of it in my head (45 minutes of memory loss and all). It had both side, front, and I think ceiling airbags. I was hit by the side airbag (straight on I was in prefect alignment with it) straight in the temple which caused my memory loss. I woke up and I just see my lap is covered in shattered glass, My hands and face are crusty with blood (I had a rather intense head laceration from high speed glass and am still plucking pieces out -not lying-), and a lump sticking up in my leg where that shattered bit broke away.

In the Hospital the nurses were surprised I was going so long without Painkillers and let me tell you I was doing it barely. Finally the head Nurse said "Enough. You are sitting here about to crack your clenched teeth. You are getting pain meds." I took a few for the next 2 weeks and quit them as soon as the pain was manageable.

No PT until my leg can be walked on. When It can I will have PT for 3 months and it will take a full year to finally rebuild the muscle back to where it was.

I am getting all the nutrients I need. My only problem was maintaining my hemoglobin (because of the blood loss). I had one transfusion of blood and I am on vitamin drops to increase my Calcium and Vitamin D.

I hate to say this but the PT is also to get your range of motion back. They are going to bend you past the point where you think is too much, to stretch out the tendons and ligaments that are stiffening up from lack of use. After my motorcycle accident I had to do this after my bone healed along with strengthening my muscles (which was a cake walk although tedious) just to get me ready for surgery to have my acl repaired. Then I had to go through it all over again once the healing period was over. Durring the stretching, I was always kicking myself in the ass for not taking my Vicodin but afterwards some 800mg IB profin kept the pain manageable. My biggest advice to you is once you are able to bend your leg safely without reinjuring yourself try to get your range of motion back before PT or in between sessions. The more that your stretch things back to normal the easier PT will be. I swear that they get off, torturing people.

#64 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Do you know what pain meds they gave you? Like, the chemical name?

#65 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

How's it going? Any progress/regress?

#66 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 26 August 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

So far exactly the same other than while at church, I was in my wheel chair when it fell from the side walk. Wasn't bad but was painful for a while.

Ouch.

Well, on the bright side of this, you'll have a miracle story to tell.

#67 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 26 August 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

So far exactly the same other than while at church, I was in my wheel chair when it fell from the side walk. Wasn't bad but was painful for a while.

ouch, hopefully you didn't fall on the side with the very injured leg.

You know, I think you need a proper hover board.

#68 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

At least it didn't make something worse. Cramps are better than re-braking your leg, right?

#69 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

I hope the muscle spasms have stopped by now.

#70 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Hey, think this way: your leg cramping is just all those trapped muscles bursting with livelihood!

Well that doesn't really help does it ;)

#71 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 27 August 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

That is the side I fell on. Was not bad at first. Right now it is cramping a lot.

It's just angry, and letting you know it!

At least you are out and about now. That's always a good thing. So, are you killing mechs again yet? Or that too strenuous at the moment?

(And do we get to call you the Bionic Man now? I mean, you do have metal in your leg, that makes you a cyborg, right?)

#72 ShadowDraconis

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDeep within the FRR paving the way for the invasion.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the updates. Glad your getting better and in good spirit ?

Hope to see you on the battlefield "Bionic Marack". ; )

#73 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Oh, something I just remembered MD.

If you're getting regular blood tests, have them test your potassium/calcium/magensium levels. My potassium was out of whack and I had ugly muscle pain, weakness, cramps and all that stuff.

Edited by Pht, 31 August 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#74 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 31 August 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

I have been doing some metal melting lately. Just got new controllers for my N64 so I was playing that for the first time in years. And yeah I am already getting that nickname lol.

Not regular tests. I got a few and my Hemoglobin was so low I had to have a transfusion. I have to take Iron and VitD supplements though. My Potassium has always been kinda high.

Take the nickname with good humor please. But do let us know if your leg starts to receive strange radio signals... :ph34r:

Lay off the bananas man! (Especially if they have ever been in a tailpipe! Sorry, I know a mechwarrior who's name is Banana in a Tailpipe... Couldn't help myself... again... I need to learn some self control! :rolleyes: )

#75 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

Sucks that you had to have a hemoglobin-related blood transfusion. But it still sounds like you're going strong!

View PostPht, on 31 August 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Oh, something I just remembered MD.

If you're getting regular blood tests, have them test your potassium/calcium/magensium levels. My potassium was out of whack and I had ugly muscle pain, weakness, cramps and all that stuff.

Potassium is used in neuro-transmission. So if you're sending/getting a lot of signals in one area (because of, like you said, your muscles) it may be related to the whole neuro-transmission thing,

#76 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 September 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Well guys I just bought my Elder Scrolls Anthology... Bye! lol. I will keep updating here but Skyrim and Oblivion call.

See you in 10 years bud.

#77 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

Marack,

I don't know how I missed seeing this. So sorry to hear about your accident. Happy to see you making progress in your recovery. Hope to see you on the battlefield. Wishing you a swift recovery.

Jody

#78 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:51 AM

Your positive attitude is a great thing. Every day is a victory.

#79 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 July 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

On Saturday around 7:00 me and my mother were on our way to the airport to pick up my grandmother. We were hit by a minivan going at 80 mph straight in the engine hood and it the smashed into the rest of the car. I was knocked out cold by the airbag and when I woke up my leg had been pinned against the door and dash board which had caved in. My mother received extensive bruising to her rib cage and had whiplash against her neck. My Femur had a 10cm break (literally 10cms of shattered bone) and I went into surgery that same night and I also had stitches in my head from a glass wound. I have a Titanium rod that goes from my knee to my hip and my leg will never grow again. They said I will be in crutches for the next 3 months and will be recovery for a year. Please keep me in your prayers (and if you don't believe in Prayer) and wish me luck.

You forgot to torso twist!

Ok, gamer jokes aside!

Hope you heal well and your mom is ok as well.

#80 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 02 September 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

School started today for me. Positive attitude gone lol (not really).

Well, on the bright side, you get slack because you're injured right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users