Srm Heat

2 replies to this topic

#1 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

Now that SRM damage is registering, it's worth carrying them. But the current heat values don't make sense for them.

Type Dmg/Heat
SRM2 2.15
SRM4 2.87
SRM6 3.23
CSRM2 2.00
CSRM4 2.67
C-SRM 6 3.00

SRMs get significantly more effective per heat the larger the launcher. While this is good in theory, smaller launchers get further penalized because their more rapid cool down makes them run even hotter than the SRM6s. SRM4s also get hit with ghost heat.

3xSRM6 delivers 18 missiles--38.7 damage for the Inner Sphere and 36 damage for the Clans.
4xSRM4 delivers 16 missiles--34.4 damage for the Inner Sphere and 32 damage for the Clans.

3xSRM6 produces 12 heat and are unaffected by ghost heat.
4xSRM4 produces 13.2 heat (12 base heat + 1.2 heat scale penalty).

So SRM4s do less damage for the heat they produce than the SRM6s, even before accounting for ghost heat and the cool down.

The values need to be rescaled so that taking smaller launchers is a viable option.

Edited by Mizeur, 05 August 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#2 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Heat vs. cooldown time is how they balance the SRMs against the other SRMs...

its basically like this for all missile weapons.

Smaller launchers have a faster cooldown, but higher heat per damage.

Therefore, multiple small launchers will help your DPS (Ex: 3 srm2), while fewer large launchers will help your heat efficiency (ex: 1 srm6)

I think that all SRMs are a little too hot, though.
Sure, they do more damage per heat than lasers do, but they are also less accurate.

Ideally, I would like to see a situation where I think:
"Ok, my mech is overheating, but since I am in SRM range I can use those instead of the lasers."

Currently, they will do less damage per heat to the actual intended component in most cases, except if you are shooting a slow moving and large target.

Lowering heat on SRMs wont make them any worse in the alpha strike game, but it would improve their DPS in a brawl situation, making them better at the role they are designed to fill.

Edited by Fire and Salt, 05 August 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#3 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

The problem is that the heat isn't properly scaled for a high threshold, low dissipation heat system. Heat per missile should be static or at least a smaller difference because the rapid cool down allows the smaller SRMs to run hotter. And that's before accounting for SRM4s having the same ghost heat threshold as SRM6s, which is ridiculous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users