In-game economy and Mech income

41 replies to this topic

#1 costi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I can't think of any other.

I'm considering buying the Elite Founders pack, but I'm not sure which Mech to get (torn between Cat and Atlas). Since the Founder Mech will have an increased credit income, I'd rather get one that has a higher potential profit margin.
WIth this in mind, here's the question: does anyone know how the in-game economy will work with regard to Mech classes?
In World Of Tanks the higher the tier, the more expensive the tank is to run, with the highest tiers (8/9/10, depeding whether you're on premium or not) being unprofitable by design, while the sweet spot for earning credits is tier 5/6. On the other hand, tier 8 premium tanks practically print money, but they're completely outside the tech tree...

Will we have something similar in MWO? I'd hate to get a premium Atlas that struggles to turn a profit, or learn too late that I should've gotten it instead of the Catapult...

Edited by costi, 20 June 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#2 Logan Doyle

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTundra

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

I think it will be based on overall match/mission. I don't think mech class will have have anything to do with it. This seems to be how the gaming world works these days. Mission complete/fail you get defined amount. Mechs/vehicles killed bonus. I think this might be the way they might go.

I dont think based on what mech your using will make a difference. You do that and all is lost. People won't play lance rolls. It just turns into another run and gun. If you get my drift.

Edited by Logan Doyle, 20 June 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#3 Name48928

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCoMo

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostLogan Doyle, on 20 June 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

I think it will be based on overall match/mission.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

But does anyone have any confirmed information from the developers on how the in-game economy will work?

#4 Logan Doyle

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTundra

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Nope sure dont. Still early at this point. Just trying to put a little thought in the system.

#5 CookieMonster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

we really have no idea how the economy will work...how much difference the payout/repairs/rearming of any of the mechs will look like.

so really, at this point...its a crap shoot. pick a mech you THINK you'll like to run, and good luck!

will say this. once the game goes live, any new non-founder/non-premium player will HAVE to be able to put their mech back out into the field with at least SOME "profit" margin after wins..otherwise this game will die in a very loud and violent way.

--edit--

just saw your reply, sorry. not that I'm aware of. Devs havent said a word about how the economy will work, and definatley not as specific as what you are looking for. :-/ sorry

Edited by CookieMonster, 20 June 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#6 Nikolii

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostMinionJoe, on 20 June 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

But does anyone have any confirmed information from the developers on how the in-game economy will work?

I bet you our guess is as good as the developers' at this point.

#7 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

If you have any BT/MW experience, pick a BattleMech appropriate to your play style.

Fast Spd/Agile/Scout - Jenner
Average Spd/Striker/Brawler - Hunchback
Average Spd/Fire Support - Catapult
Slow Spd/Juggernaut/Fire Support - Atlas

#8 Shadowstone

Rookie

• 4 posts

The hevier the mech the more expensive will be to repair!!!

It will probably depend on the equipment you mount and how much damage you get.

Sweet point will probably be between mediums and heavies.
But that is just guesses as nobody knows.

#9 Tovran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

The only thing we do know is that the lighter mech chassis are apparently cheaper. I believe it is in the founder pack question thread that Russ mentions the in-game currency we get could buy about 8-10 medium mechs, or less heavies and assaults.

Now if I had to geuss, I would say repairs will be higher on a heavier chassis. However you might get more earnings for higher damage done etc. So average earnings may overall be quite similar.... or not who knows.

#10 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

I wonder if it will be possible to go broke and be unable to play (without paying cash).

You need credits to repair and buy ammo so would it be possible to get "stuck"?

As in no money to repair / re-arm.

Edited by Purlana, 20 June 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#11 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

Need to wait until my paycheck tomorrow to get my founder package. But when I do I'm going with the Catapult, it just seems like the most mechy mech. For instance, when I think "mech" I don't think of stuff like the Commando or Awesome, I think of stuff like the Stalker and Catapult.

Edited by Audit, 20 June 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#12 Nikolii

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

World of Tanks solves the problem of being broke by having the lowest chassis' ammo and repair be free. If the mech was actually your last, I'm sure they'd give you a free repair and ammo.

#13 pvtbryan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostPurlana, on 20 June 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

I wonder if it will be possible to go broke and be unable to play (without paying cash).

You need credits to repair and buy ammo so would it be possible to get "stuck"?

As in no money to repair / re-arm.

Doubtful. That would make little financial sense for Piranha. I imagine there will always be a "low tier" type mech that's available gratis.

#14 TheSkeletor

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

So you can buy ingame currency booster for real cash in this game?
Also saw something about expiriece booseter.

“Anything that would affect or give you a tactical advantage, you can’t purchase with real cash. You have to earn that by playing the game,”

So they sell more than cosmetic changes or did i missunderstand something?

Edited by TheSkeletor, 20 June 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#15 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostTheSkeletor, on 20 June 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

“Anything that would affect or give you a tactical advantage, you can’t purchase with real cash. You have to earn that by playing the game,”

I believe they will sell credit / xp boosters, cosmetic skins, and mechs. I believe the mechs purchased for cash will have the same combat performance as the ones bought for credits.

(The mech bought for cash may look different or earn bonus cash/xp, but will perform the same in battle as one bought for credits.)

#16 Nikolii

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostTheSkeletor, on 20 June 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

The paradigm is cash for time. I could spend time to farm out the C-bills for this Atlas, or I could spend cash for it. The Atlas will function the same either way.

#17 TheSkeletor

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

ok, i understand.
Instead of earning it with playtime you can buy it with cash.
I call this pay for ingame advantage. Thank you for your fast awnsers.

As an old batlemech fan i really hoped they would keep their promises.
I should know better. Perhaps someone else will make a fair mechwarrior game.

im out. have fun.

#18 MiniChiken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 107 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Without saying too much, the ingame economy is still not final but you will not have to worry about making only marginal amounts of C-bills per match. You should be able to keep your mechs going and progress to your next mech easily if you pick a play style you're comfortable with and have fun playing.

View PostTheSkeletor, on 20 June 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

ok, i understand.
Instead of earning it with playtime you can buy it with cash.
I call this pay for ingame advantage. Thank you for your fast awnsers.

As an old batlemech fan i really hoped they would keep their promises.
I should know better. Perhaps someone else will make a fair mechwarrior game.

im out. have fun.

Just to clear this up for you, there is no pay to win. There are boosters which enhance the rewards you get from a match, but there is nothing which will make you perform better than any other mech jockey out there.

#19 TheSkeletor

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

View PostMiniChiken, on 20 June 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Without saying too much, the ingame economy is still not final but you will not have to worry about making only marginal amounts of C-bills per match. You should be able to keep your mechs going and progress to your next mech easily if you pick a play style you're comfortable with and have fun playing.

Just to clear this up for you, there is no pay to win. There are boosters which enhance the rewards you get from a match, but there is nothing which will make you perform better than any other mech jockey out there.

If you can do anything with xp or credits you get more of it.
So you have an advantage. So its pay to win.
If you play you have more xp and more credits than the guy who dont pay.

I see what they try to do by saying everyone can get it over time. But with same argument you can defend anything.
"Everyone can someday find the best item. Or you just buy it from us..."

Sorry but this trick is far to old and to cheap to fall for it.

Edited by TheSkeletor, 20 June 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#20 GenWarhammer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCT. USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Every FTP i have been in there is some advantage to buying into the game, or else why would people. They need to make this profitable for their efforts. I dont know how it will play out yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users