- - - - -

Missing Something Obvious?

14 replies to this topic

#1 PAD the MAD

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hi, I'm new to the game and am missing the obvious - 'where do I get into the game' button... I've got an account and have downloaded the installer but not getting into the game via any of the visible links. Any simple instructions to let me know what I'm missing?:angry:

#2 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Did you click the "patch" button? You'll need to patch before it turns into a "launch" button

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

Once you install the game, run the game launcher (either from the start menu, or your desktop link.

Once you get into the game from that, there is a blue button on the top towards the right of center that has Launch or Play Now or something like that that lets you launch (It should ask private or public match, you want public)

#4 PAD the MAD

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

Cheers guys - I've seen a patch button and will give it a go. :angry:

#5 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostPAD the MAD, on 18 May 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Cheers guys - I've seen a patch button and will give it a go. :angry:

Depending on your connection, patching takes some time.

While you are doing so, you might want to take a look at this thread that has loads of helpful information http://mwomercs.com/...uidestutorials/ Also, if you're more of the watching then reading type , a nice , recent, new player friendly video was uploaded here

Last but not least, consider joining up on a community run VOIP server. Even if you don't have a mic you can team up with individuals and help make the early grind more bearable http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1208973 and https://mwolobby.com/

Cheers and have fun!

Edited by Helmer, 18 May 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Yeah, the launcher will let you PATCH the game to remain up to date, then it will be replaced by a PLAY button when complete.

Once in the game, PLAY NOW is a green button in the upper right; select public match and choose desired game mode(or any)

A mech will be selected for you (i think) or you can go to mechlab and choose any of the 4 free trial mechs.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 May 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

A mech will be selected for you (i think) or you can go to mechlab and choose any of the 4 free trial mechs.

just to offer further clarification when you go to the mechlab you will see 4 mechs (at least until you have purchased more) these mechs will have a buy button underneath bottom center, click anywhere on the mech picture and you can try that mech in-game.

On mechs you own the buy button is replaced with a configure button, to buy the trial mechs costs real money but you can create that exact loadout with money earned ingame if you want.

The reason I mention this is that a freind of mine recently tried MWO, he dropped first in the trial Jenner, before our second game (on a team together) I asked him if he liked the Jenner or wanted to try another mech, his response was "how do I get another mech, the only ones I can see ask me to buy them?"

I suggest playing the first 25 matches (where you will earn money far faster than usual) before buying anything.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 18 May 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#8 kardam

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 18 May 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

(...)

The reason I mention this is that a freind of mine recently tried MWO, he dropped first in the trial Jenner, before our second game (on a team together) I asked him if he liked the Jenner or wanted to try another mech, his response was "how do I get another mech, the only ones I can see ask me to buy them?"

(...)

That's UX for ya! I wonder how many players are driven away from the game due to mechlab's not-so-stellar interface...

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Late, I know. Seems you figured it out already, but in case if someone else can't figure it out and sees this..

View PostKoniving, on 05 April 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Question: "How do I start the game? I downloaded the installer and now I'm at the online page but I can't play."

Alright.

Step one, this is not a web-based game and does not require the website to launch. Only to download the installer.
That said, if you ran the installer you should have this little guy in your start menu.
Posted Image
Please click it now and say "yes" to allowing it to run in administrator mode.
Now you'll see this screen.
Posted Image

Step 2. See that pretty blue button with the white text? Says "Patch." Click that. When it's good and ready -- some long time later -- you'll be ready to play.

Skipping an hour or three...

Now you'll see this.
Posted Image

Alright! It's ready to go.

Step 3: Hit Play.

You'll find yourself here after the publisher and developer are done kindly reminding you who brought this game to you; which they will do every time you start the game. Hit space repeatedly to tell them "Yeah, yeah, START THE GAME ALREADY!!!!"
Posted Image

Now enter your email and password.
Once there, you'll find yourself on a page much like this....with a lot fewer mechs.
Posted Image

That's the game reminding you that you're space-poor. But don't worry, for your first 25 matches the game will shove LOTS of c-bills (money) down your throat until you've got roughly enough to get almost any mech you want for your first mech. Click one and then click launch.

Or better, click "Home", "Tutorial" if it doesn't already put you there on its own. Then after, click "Home" and "Testing Grounds," to get familiar with things before really mean people in large walking battlemechs (mechanized walking tanks) shoot you.

And that's...
Posted Image

#10 PAD the MAD

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Two months in, and I've died 250 times... for a sum total of 7 kills to my name. Not great, but fun anyway.

#11 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Don't feel bad, I had a KDR of 0.04 about 5 months into the game and all I was playing with were the stock trial mechs, my ravens, and the DDC atlas. Then I found a mech and play style that worked for me, that was about 13 months ago. My favorite mech has a KDR of 2.21, but I have other mechs with no kills that are still fun to run, and it is not a locust.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Took me a month to get my solo kill. And back then mechs were slower and easier to hit. (But everyone had standard heatsinks). And while heaven forbid if you got too close as someone could ram you, it's quite a bit harder on a new player now than it was back then.

#13 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

It took me until game #53 or something like that to record my first kill, and I felt like such a boss.

I wish I could have bottled that enthusiasm and taken a sip from it occasionally over the past year and a half...

#14 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Sometimes in those close games that end 12 -10, 12 -11 or similar I can tap into that first kill enthusiasm.

You are right, that first kill is great experiance.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 18 July 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#15 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostPAD the MAD, on 18 July 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Two months in, and I've died 250 times... for a sum total of 7 kills to my name. Not great, but fun anyway.

everybody starts out like that man, so dont be to hard on your self
especially with mechwarrior, it is so much harder than most games (on par with dark souls id say)

make sure your always experimenting with different mechs and weapons (trials keep that process cheap)
as every mech is a different way to play the game it can take a while to find what you really like / excel at

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users