33 replies to this topic

#1 Topshot Tiger

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

I know they hes currently on sale, is he worth the price? He looked kinda like a more bulky Kintaro to me. I love playing medium mechs so i was thinking of giving him a go.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Actually Trebs are skinnier (though taller; same height as a Shadowhawk). But Kintaros are bulky Trebs. (Kintaros are shorter, wider).

In the face of meta-bound group play it's ****. For solo play it'll be fun.

Just imagine a Kintaro with jumpjets.

#3 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

The Loup de Doop is my favorite mech to run. 2x SRM6A, 2x SRM4A, 2x ML, XL300 w/ 2JJ.

Running at 106.9 after speed tweak and you simply wreck faces, when things get up close and dirty. Love it.

#4 Topshot Tiger

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Can be ran with an Reg engine as well? I'm generally not a big fan of running xl's on medium mechs.

#5 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostTopshotTiger, on 26 July 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Can be ran with an Reg engine as well? I'm generally not a big fan of running xl's on medium mechs.

Just went in the Mechlab to test it out.

STD260 (92.6 after tweak) 3x SRM6A, 2x ML, and there's 4.5 tons left for ammo and JJs. Not bad, I may have to run that.

Edited by Kevjack, 26 July 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Depends on the tonnage you throw in. Ammo would be limited.

Personally don't see a point. The side torsos are half as long as the CT.

At the time these were taken, it was a basics only mech still unlocking the basics.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd black out the names, but the pic is uber old and I kinda just don't care. People played pretty decently in those.

(Given that the Treb in the score screens had a 180 XL engine; it doesn't really matter if you have a standard or XL running for it. Much like a Dragon.)

Edited by Koniving, 26 July 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#7 SolarCleric

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

I run it quite a bit as a solo mech as stock. Can be a lot of fun when close combat begins. However, I think it tries to fill a light mech's role in medium mechs chasis, and I still enjoy my spider and raven more. Overall think I would have rather got a clan mech for the $$ instead in retrospect.

#8 Cptn Goodvibes Pig of Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

G'day,

I picked one up a few weeks ago and was pleasantly suprised. It works well as a fast striker, especially now that short ranged missiles have been fixed. Like others, I was initially cautious about using an XL engine, but have found that the extra speed is a bonus in the role. It is still fairly durable in combat and might have something to do with side torso boxes that are smaller in this mech? At any rate, I use 4 x SRM4's as the primary weapons, as they lend themselves to a good alpha strike using all four and are not as heat intensive as the SRM6's. Also, they spread or group well when targeting. It is a short ranged combat mech, so you do need to use speed and cover on your approaches to and departures from firing solutions. Also note that the War Wolf comes standard with BAP (not in my build), which can be used with other applications. As with other mediums, you really need to hit and run, keep moving and don't stick around for too long. Yes, the mechs profile is rather tall, but it is very skinny. Am generally finding that this sort of tactical approach can work well against Clan mechs, which are generally slower and usually favour a "head to head standup" sort of encounter. Obviously, you will seek to avoid this while using a fast medium mech of this build.

Heres the build that I run with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1eca146d64ae676

Regards'
Draughluin

#9 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Personally I reckon anything the loop de derrrrr can do the golden boy can do better. Unless you absolutely must have jump jets. My loop de DEERRRRR has been relegated to lrm boating.

But I don't mind lrm boating.

#10 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:01 AM

I play it as a fast, long range, support/flanker/harasser, feels like a weird crossbreed of Spider and Catapult ..... also, a great c-bill maker

ERPPC + TAG + 4xLRM5 (5tons) + XL280 +2DHS + 2JJs + Warhorn/"pressure chamber" (trophy from a dead clanner..)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...641ec9c919a4b53

I'm guilty of having fun with this build!

Edited by Dagon Zur, 28 July 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#11 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Probably not what you are looking for, but i use it as Light-Hunter like this: LOUP DE GUERRE

You can do similar things with the SHD-2D2, GRF-3M or KTO-18/19 but them being 5tons heavier means you need to waste a lot more tonnage on the engine to get them to a comparable speed. Further the KTO doesn't have JJ. The SHD is wasted for such a build, and the GRF-3M should carry a (ER-)PPC imo.

I enjoy the LG very much, and the LG is the only reason why i now need to buy another TBT, so i can elite the chassis. After the 7K i thought this chassis would never see me again ;)

Edited by Myke Pantera, 28 July 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#12 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

4xSRM6s, 2 small lasers, max jumpjets and a standard engine. Its a solid SRM Brawler, packs a pretty big wallup.

#13 Kanigit

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 28 July 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

Probably not what you are looking for, but i use it as Light-Hunter like this: LOUP DE GUERRE

You can do similar things with the SHD-2D2, GRF-3M or KTO-18/19 but them being 5tons heavier means you need to waste a lot more tonnage on the engine to get them to a comparable speed. Further the KTO doesn't have JJ. The SHD is wasted for such a build, and the GRF-3M should carry a (ER-)PPC imo.

I enjoy the LG very much, and the LG is the only reason why i now need to buy another TBT, so i can elite the chassis. After the 5K i thought this chassis would never see me again :)

Let me recommend the 7K as your next variant. It looks like crap, right? It's one of the most entertaining mechs I've played, and it consistently rocks. Notice it is the model that Koniving was driving in his screenie above. Give it a try, it's actually the variant I enjoy the most.

Happy meching treb fans.

#14 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Unless you want to get owned my Timber wolves all day you better put in a XL engine and go atleast 100KPH. The arms can take alot of damage because they are huge, thus protecting you XL engine a little longer, although it means you always lose the firepower in your arms aswell.

My favorite treb is a TREB3C with an XL390 (140KPH) 4 medims and 2 streaks, wrecks lights all day.

#15 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostKevjack, on 26 July 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

The Loup de Doop is my favorite mech to run. 2x SRM6A, 2x SRM4A, 2x ML, XL300 w/ 2JJ.

Running at 106.9 after speed tweak and you simply wreck faces, when things get up close and dirty. Love it.

This is the exact build I use too. It is really fun to play. I highly recommend it. Fun to sneak behind the line and flank the enemy. Use hit and run tactics. You can alpha most other mediums and some heavies in the back and they'll go down in one volley. Fun stuff. Did I say "Fun"!! ?

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostTopshotTiger, on 26 July 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Run the XL, it's not an issue with the Trebuchet. You'll lose your Center Torso before you lose your Side. As some have mentioned, the arms are huge. Put most of your firepower, SRM6s, in your side torsos. Put 2 ML and 2 SRM4 in the arms and go wreck face. If you lose an arm, at least you only lost one SRM4 and a ML. You're still deadly.

Jody

#17 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostKanigit, on 28 July 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Let me recommend the 7K as your next variant. It looks like crap, right? It's one of the most entertaining mechs I've played, and it consistently rocks. Notice it is the model that Koniving was driving in his screenie above. Give it a try, it's actually the variant I enjoy the most.

Happy meching treb fans.

You're probably right, the 7K (i misspelled as 5K) is the best TBT there currently is, but it never worked for me. It was the second mech i've bought with the Recruit bonus, but once i got the ShadowHawk i couldn't think of anything the 7K could do better then the Hawk. So i decided to sell it and never play TBTs again. Until the LG came out :)

Now i'll probably grab the 5J because of JJ and my not willingness to pay for the XL250 in the 7M.

#18 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

Just bought yesterday, and yes: it's very fun to play with it.
What I like more is its spread out hardpoints: you'll have always weapons to fire 'till death.
Just the opposite of yin yang centurion :)

#19 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 27 July 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

Personally I reckon anything the loop de derrrrr can do the golden boy can do better. Unless you absolutely must have jump jets. My loop de DEERRRRR has been relegated to lrm boating.

But I don't mind lrm boating.

I love my KTO-GB, but the LG is a much better SRM brawler, simply because of the speed advantage (100+ kph) and JJs; you can be in and out much faster. The GB is also a seriously bulky target.

If you want to boat LRMs the Golden Boy is far better than the Loup, because you can throw the XL220 back in and bring to bear three Artemis heavy launchers.

#20 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Don't like the Mech, don't like the name that's all I can say here!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users