34 replies to this topic

#21 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

I agree totally. It's not just the profanity. My son plays and if he make a bad decision, he has at times been griefed mercilessly, being called a moron, etc. Why should the players who are trying to enjoy a game be persecuted by those unsavories (at all) and then have to be the one responsible for the reporting? We should be able to report, but we shouldn't have to bear the burden. The admins need to step up.

#22 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Amusement park rides have a sign that states, "You have to be this at least this tall to ride." Can we do something similar -- "You have to be this civilized to play"?

#23 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

If there was a poll for this topic, I would vote in favour of the ignore commands for in-game chat channels. This game really can accomodate more than just the majority of players who choose to speak up in matches. Most people don't want to hear some of the filth in-game that degenerates MWO's image into some kind amoral cesspool. A filter is just what we need!

#24 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

um i find reading makes me wounder if you peaple spend time any where else on the internet
not that i find some what comes up in chat bad i do but if not here trust me they will find it
some times from friend there hone age >_<

#25 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

Sheltering your kids is a terrible idea, because it is basically guaranteed to fail. Kinda dishonest too. Tsk Tsk. Childhood is supposed to get you ready for the real world.

If you are concerned about them reading "F*** this map" I assume that you don't allow them to go to school either... MWO online chat should be the least of your concerns.

But hey, you can always stick some duct-tape on the corner of the screen :P

#26 CorranHorn

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

The ability to toggle off chat, ignore certain players, or to at least add a filter would be nice. I am not a child, I do not have children, I just don't like the language that some people choose to use. I do not necessarily want to punish them every time they say something that I don't want to see/hear. But I would like to also not have to see/hear it.

#27 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

A mute button would be nice. I would settle for a block feature though - would actually prefer that. This would let me permanently ignore crude and vulgar individuals.

Other games have it, why not ours?

#28 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

the 1 issue i do see if they added some thing like this is that i could mess up strategy thats my 1 big worry

#29 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Can you guys get over yourself? This isn't a "PG" reality where everyone is going to be sheltered from bad words or bad people.

If you don't like whats in the chat -- DONT READ IT.

What kind of children are you raising where you shelter then from even reading an in-game chat, when they surely hear worse from their friends at school or other various sources? Are you that diluted?

And for you people complaining about "F-bombs" -- is this some christian game? You are destroying mechs and essentially killing things. Seriously.

You diluted sheep need to unwrap the metal foil over your heads and open you eyes up to reality and if you want to get holier than though, put down MechWarrior and actually read the news or go to your local church, if your that religious.

View PostPodex, on 01 September 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Amusement park rides have a sign that states, "You have to be this at least this tall to ride." Can we do something similar -- "You have to be this civilized to play"?

No, height is tangible and can be mathematically quantified. "Civility" can't.

So much for your subjective, abstract ideologies.

View PostFire and Salt, on 01 September 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

Sheltering your kids is a terrible idea, because it is basically guaranteed to fail. Kinda dishonest too. Tsk Tsk. Childhood is supposed to get you ready for the real world.

If you are concerned about them reading "F*** this map" I assume that you don't allow them to go to school either... MWO online chat should be the least of your concerns.

But hey, you can always stick some duct-tape on the corner of the screen :P

Thank you. More low IQd breeding more drones into the gene pool, gotta love it. I'm sure they are going to love all the sheltering than the explosive exposure to the "real world" that will make their get psychotic, depressed or some serial killer. Logic 10/10 parents!

#30 Centari

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

I'm new to the game, just found it last week. The chat has been very helpful to me more often than not. I've seen some abuse of it as well. Being an old fart, it hardly fazes me, but I definitely understand the concerns of others.

I would like to see an ignore option, a friend option, and a scroll bar. (I haven't taken the "Evelyn Woodhead sped redding" course. :) ) An off button also has it's place for others.

As an aside, players getting lots of ignores, would be able to be flagged and monitored by admins.

The friend option would be nice, as memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember what the first thing is to go.....

VOIP is great, but you generally need an organized team, and not all of us can hear all that well anymore. (aircraft, rifles, and radio test tones in my case. I imagine I'm not the only one....)

Even with all the problems, I'm truly enjoying this game. Good hunting ya'll :)

#31 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

Energy hit the nail on the head why I want the ability to turn off chat. It ISN'T PG, or PG13, and I should be able to shut off something I find objectionable. If I had young kids Id not be able to let them play this game because It is my choice. You don't care? Fine, have at. Others who don't want it should have the choice.

#32 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

Thank you PGI for sneaking this in the patch yesterday. I really like having the check box options to turn the chat off when my kids are playing.

#33 Hammer Hand

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

PGI - Thanks for getting this done. I appreciate you listening to us, and your efforts to get it done quickly.

#34 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

^ Totally agreed. From all the bad calls, this feature is greatly appreciated. I get to hide from all the trolls and ******* whos got a need to scream bullshit in chat. Very distractive and annoying.

AAAAAh.

Sweet silence.

#35 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

I can only wonder why "All chat" is turned off by default, I am sure they had a reason.
But at least the team-related chatter is on by default. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users