Atlas Ddc

14 replies to this topic

#1 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

I was pondering an Atlas with more armor for tamking, good in a brawl, even heat responsible when dispatching pesky lights, but more range than the "AC/20, SRM6, M Las" ballbuster and came up with this.

I wanted it to be faster than my un-elited Stalker builds, but no need for 350+ engines.

Does it look potent? Hoping Jiggly chimes in on this one! :D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b6379c7180b7638

Or this with the stock engine until a larger motor can be afforded:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a169fe5573611d

*** added benefit, only 3 weapon groups!

Edited by The Unknown Pilot, 01 January 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#2 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 01 January 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

I was pondering an Atlas with more armor for tamking, good in a brawl, even heat responsible when dispatching pesky lights, but more range than the "AC/20, SRM6, M Las" ballbuster and came up with this.

I wanted it to be faster than my un-elited Stalker builds, but no need for 350+ engines.

Does it look potent? Hoping Jiggly chimes in on this one! ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b6379c7180b7638

*** added benefit, only 3 weapon groups!

This could work. :rolleyes:

Armor distribution and tacitics:

The rear armor looks a little thin. I've seen some people do this but they max out their frontal armor. This makes sense for an AC5 build because AC5 is a dakka weapon and you cannot do much torso twisting. So you use paper thin armor in the back and put everything up front. But now you have to be very careful to not get shot from the back, particularly when you are facing lights.

Vs. lights:
The tactic that Atlas pilots with this type of armor distribution use when faced with lights, is to back up into the nearest wall. Then they have infinite armor in the back and massive armor in front, and the lights have to come into its firing arc to shoot at it. I've personally never tried this but it works for some good pilots.

What I run and some battlefield experiences:
I actually used to run an even more minimalist version of this without the streaks because I'm comfortable using just my ER LLs and UAC/5s for hitting lights. I use ER LL on this mech because it's already so cool running the extra heat doesn't matter that much in real use.

AS7-D-DC

Success with this type of build has been very situational for me. I think you have to be extra conscientious of what the team is doing when piloting an AC/5 Atlas. There are a couple of reasons:
  • You are doing a lot of damage from mid to long range but not much killing because the AC/5 or UAC/5 shots end up landing all over the enemy mech.
  • You cannot basically not torso twist during a fight. This makes you take more damage to the front in 1 v 1 fights and much more vulnerable when facing multiple enemies.

Now, firing UAC/5s or AC/5s with your LLs from medium range, you are absolutely devestating to individual mechs from mediums on up, particularly if you aim for their cockpits, which then allows your shots to interfere with their aim. A lot of people will not hold up psychologically against the combination of withering constant fire and an enormous amount of frontal armor that they can't drill through. They'll turn to run. However, you may find that even if they do, they can take a long time to kill. I've once chased a scared medium mech a 500 meters in my Atlas, shooting him the entire time with my weapons, striping off both arms, before he finally died.

With these particularly in mind you have to adopt certain tactics on the battlefield.
  • I've had the most success using my mech as a part of concerted pushes with other large mechs, using its guns to suppress particularly dangerous longer range threats (eg, LRM boats, gauss snipers) while others did most of the killing.
  • This mech can also be very useful in holding down choke points where enemy mechs have to walk through one by one.
  • This mech is useful on hot maps such as terra therma because it runs cool enough to maintain its dakka even when most other dakka mechs have heat trouble.
Thus, I've had some really successful games holding narrow passes on terra therma, where I used my atlas to hold back half the enemy team using a combination of massive frontal armor, UAC5 dakka, LLs, air strikes and arty strikes.

Suggestions:

Consider getting rid of the streaks:
  • More heat sinks and armor may be a better tradeoff.
  • Waiting on the streaks to lock could interfere with your "battle rythm"
Consider UAC/5s instead of AC/5s:
  • More psychologically devestating than AC/5s due to higher rate of sustained fire
  • You can carry two and put them on staggered fire to lessen problems with jamming.
  • If both guns jam you can fire your lasers and torso twist!
LLs vs ER LLs:
  • The ER lls give you more long range punch, but you have to be careful. They may tempt you into engaging earlier than wise. At long range, your shots and your laser will be all over the enemy mech, not hitting a single component. This makes them much less effective at killing even though they are doing the same damage.
Consider Adv. Zoom module:
  • This allows you to use your lasers and UAC5s to do long range suppression fire out past 500 m.
  • You have to be careful with this: you can use this ability to deny certain areas of movement to the enemy, but you are not hurting them that much. So you need to think of this as a kind of traffic controller functionality in support of the team.
Arty and airstrikes:
  • The DDC has 3 module slots. You should definitely take advantage of this by carrying some strikes. On mine I carry both an air strike and an improved arty strike. As a new pilot, probably not a great idea to use the strikes every match (40K cbills), but once in a while you see the perfect opportunity to lay down a strike on a large cluster of enemy mechs. I would carry at least an arty strike.

Hope this helps and happy New Year!

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 01 January 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#3 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the voice of experience.

Now here's the hard one: A cool running, face melting Boar's Head?

#4 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hmm, would not recommend any Atlas except for the DDC in the current meta. They are all hard to use, in fact, and without the ECM... yikes!

The Boar's Head used to be especially bad because there was a bug where the cockpit area was oversized and prone to destruction. I think it's been fixed but I still get a lot of headshots on them for some reason. Not sure why, maybe the color scheme makes for a nice bullseye. ;)

#5 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 01 January 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Thanks! I appreciate the voice of experience.

Now here's the hard one: A cool running, face melting Boar's Head?

Not particularly cool running but I'm fond of my 60 pt alpha BH featuring twin PPCs, AC20 and 4 ML. Anything that has 6 energy slots is probably not going to be cool running. Or if it is, you're wasting the Atlas' firepower potential.

I've tried every BH build in the book and this is what I've more or less settled on. The 6 ML AC20 build is common (and relatively cool) but it just doesn't feel as effective since you are gimped at range and you're a huge moving target with no ECM.

Edit: The Boar's Head is painful until you get those doubled basics because of all the energy slots.

Edited by Sagamore, 02 January 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#6 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I rather like a AC10 & AC5 combo , along with 1lg laser and 1 med laser and a full load of SRM's of any mix. almost full armor and as many dbl heat sinks as I can cram in. it runs cool and has great fire pwr at all ranges. ;) (oh , a 330 engine)

#7 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Tried the UAC5 Atlas today.... Have to say it's really hard to be competitive in this build in the current meta. Unless you are on a very well organized team, the wide separation of the spawn points in many maps means this Atlas has a real hard time getting the type of support it needs to be effective.

#8 Exozen

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Im currently running my DDC with the standard A/C20 , 2x LPL , and SRM, works very well and it never overheats , the best brawler setup in my oppnion thou you have around 50~ dmg per click

And ofc you have the Ecm so being a target for enemy Lrm is pretty low .

#9 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

You can still run the standard "grinder" build and still have some range. Just swap out one of the missile slots for an LRM10 instead of running 3 x SRM6's. It'll work -- provided your team doesn't hang you out to dry (which WILL happen running slow assaults from time to time). It works best with a 4-button setup, but the advantage of having the LRM rack is that it'll force targets to take cover. They're not going to sit there and trade with a lock on you... and you use that to work yourself forward into range. It also gives you a weapon to use without line of sight on the target. It won't do gobs of damage for sure - but it's as much a "tool" to use as anything else. It tends to work better than loading LR weapons on the low-slung arms... Direct fire weapons are great - but they don't tend to suppress targets as long, and Atlases are slow and literally walking billboards. Once you fire, you'll be taking counter fire. With LRMs that's not quite as much of an issue - cause you're laying on the button till the target covers. And you can start firing from cover yourself...

2MLs, AC20 (4 tons), 2SRM6 (2 tons) LRM10 (2 tons) with a standard 350 engine, 544 armor and 15 DHS. Good heat profile, fairly quick for an Atlas, and it's brutal against anything that walks into range. I'd link the build, but it's late :ph34r:

#10 Chippey

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ac20 with 3 srm6 + art an el laser and a flamer. Flames to face when brawling scares some peopl/ adds distractione. Srm6 and ac20 all linked for bug damage. Surprising lights and one click kills are un with ECM

#11 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

my ddc is kinda the standard brawler meta but sort of not... AC20 with 35 shots, srm 6 srm 6 srm4, 200 rounds. 2 MLs, std 300, ecm. kinda fun really. smashing faces with the ac20 and srms is fun! sadly All the weapon points (unless you want to be a mix build with lrms) are so low i hate sniping with it.

when i need c-bils tho i change it as many lrms as i can get and spam fire :ph34r:

(lol no. actually when i need c-bills its a 1 erLL raven 3-L with tag and narc. tag bonuses are awesome.)

#12 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

@OP

Honestly, the Atlas D-DC should STAY a pure short range brawler because it has an ECM. (I use this build http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df681a426846995)

General changes that can help.... those builds above have issues
Do the top build be do the following...
-Change to STD 325 (has 3 DHS on engine, notice the top 1 only has 1 of 3 slotted on engine)
-Change to 3xSRM4 + Artemis and ditch the Streaks.. (too many ECMS ingame...waiting on a streak lock for an Atlas is a "NO-NO")
-Max CT, RT, LT, RA and LA armor.
-Front load the armor on the RT, CT, LT so that only 10 points are in the rear...(lets you take more alphas... if they get your rear, 10 more pts back there does jack IMO)

I own and mastered all Atlases and love playing them regardless of what the meta junkies say.... I still do very well in them. Hit me up if you have questions.

Edited by Creovex, 24 August 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#13 UndeadEdd

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:34 AM

AS7-D-DC, STD350, AC/20, 3xSRM6+A, 2ML, ECM
This build punches so hard that most assaults die in 3-4 hits in the front CT. I've been able to take out 2 Atlases in a row and keep fighting. I've been able to take down a Dire Wolf in the open while he kept shooting me with his superior DPS.
How to use:
Basically, use your ECM cover and 62KPH speed to get close to a victim and then punch them in the face! Usually it's a good idea to wait for a while until your teammates soften them up, then you'll usually be able to take out most targets in 1-2 shots. Weakened targets won't usually expect someone to just throw ~60 damage at their CT in one shot.
The 2xML help finish off near-death targets without wasting ammo.

#14 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

It's not as fast as some of the above builds, but I've had really good success in my DDC with 2 LL, Ac20, 3 arm 6+A, and a std 330. The alpha is just devastating. I love setting up near the front line behind cover, watching the enemy approach on seismic and then just slamming them to the ground as they round the corner. The panicked initial movements are pretty funny to watch as your target spin and dance as the pilot panics trying to figure out what just shredded half his/her mech.

Edited by Sword of Morning, 12 September 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#15 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Best results I'm getting with my Atlas' now isn't the D-DC oddly. Since the Clans got into the game I've been running my Founders Atlas in Stock plus Artemis, DHS and a STD325... I'm no ace pilot but the mixed load out has been very effective against highly mobile enemies.

My old Atlas o' Doom D-DC builds just seem to be too over specialized for the meta-with-a-touch-of-Clan. DWF out snipes and the TImberwolf out brawls... oddly the mixed load out allows real sustained damage... and then ECM...

ACTUAL BUILD FEEDBACK: go UAC5 and drop the SSRM(unless you want to add BAP, counter mode shows everyone where you are). SSRMs will screw with your AC DPS.

In all honesty the burst damage of IS ballistics is their strong point... leave sustained DPS for the Clan ballistics built for it, stick with the AC20 and up you speed. Dire Whale is your nemesis but if you can make it waste time on your arms and then zip around and kick it in the face a few times you'll have it.

Edited by Sam Slade, 12 September 2014 - 08:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users