The "new, Improved" Awesome: Is It Enough?

BattleMechs Balance Metagame

85 replies to this topic

#61 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Back in The Day™ I actually ran an XL Awesome and got some mileage out of it. With DHS and the energy buff, with a big XL, can the AWS actually beat the Ghost Heat?

Edited by GreyGriffin, 31 July 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#62 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Honestly nothing is going to make that profile any harder to miss. With the center torso buff its better, but it could still use bigger arm hitboxes such as making the shoulders part of the arms. No one loses arms in an awesome. The barn is simple too big a target.

Edited by ManDaisy, 31 July 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#63 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 31 July 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

Back in The Day™ I actually ran an XL Awesome and got some mileage out of it. With DHS and the energy buff, with a big XL, can the AWS actually beat the Ghost Heat?
Yes, within reason. An AWS can run 3 PPC's easily without particular trouble; it could fire 3-4 LL's all day without breaking a sweat.

#64 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 31 July 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

Pinpoint instant convergence is a problem, but its not THIS problem. Fixing pinpoint doesn't fix the Awesome, which has long been hampered by a huge, impossible to miss barn door torso and reliance on heavy energy weapons severely cursed by our heat system and Ghost Heat.

So, yeah, pinpoint is a major issue, but it doesn't belong in this thread.

all roads lead to pinpoint

#65 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 31 July 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Honestly nothing is going to make that profile any harder to miss. With the center torso buff its better, but it could still use bigger arm hitboxes such as making the shoulders part of the arms. No one loses arms in an awesome. The barn is simple too big a target.

True. Watching an Awesome trying to protect itself with it's arms is like watching a fat man pole dancing and trying to deflect incoming beer bottles with the pole.

Making the arms bigger would help, but the issue is that the sheer width of the Awesome means that the arms take a lot longer to swing into position to defend the chest. It would get to the point where the Awesome could use it's arms for advertising space.

Posted Image

I don't know, maybe I just need to accept the fact that the Awesome will never be a (competitive) brawler. Support is ok, if you're not the center of attention. Or anyone's attention, really.

#66 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

One the Awesome is kind of dumb looking with it's tiny shoulder plates.
Two, the mech is too tall in my opinion. And too wide. Extend the arm hit boxes to about 1/2 of where the STs are now, and up the shoulder plates width so that it can actually shield it's CT and STs with it's arms.

#67 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

I just took out my Pretty Baby for a spin packing 2xERPPCs and 2xSRM6s, after several months in the hangar. 3 kills, all Clanners, makes for a good run. :P :wub: :wub:

#68 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Been using the AWS-8Q and it usually goes badly, but occasionally when no one pays attention to me I can get like 4 kills and 4 assists or such. I will have to try the Pretty Baby with some SRMs. SRMs might cover for when I get noticed. The Awesome is still that fat damage magnet.

#69 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 31 July 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

True. Watching an Awesome trying to protect itself with it's arms is like watching a fat man pole dancing and trying to deflect incoming beer bottles with the pole.

Making the arms bigger would help, but the issue is that the sheer width of the Awesome means that the arms take a lot longer to swing into position to defend the chest. It would get to the point where the Awesome could use it's arms for advertising space.

Posted Image

I don't know, maybe I just need to accept the fact that the Awesome will never be a (competitive) brawler. Support is ok, if you're not the center of attention. Or anyone's attention, really.

New sponsor paintjob. Advertises any ongoing sale on the arm. 100,000 bonus C-bill reward for every round you run with it.

That should balance it alright.

#70 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

While your mileage will vary with personal anecdotes, I find the arms work better than on most other mechs. Even before this patch a lot of games the first thing I lost was my left arm. I find twisting on the Awesome doesn't work as well against FLD builds or in peek-a-boo snipe fights, because they shoot you while you're front-on lining up your own shot. But it works great in middle to close range where everybody's moving.

I think it may be a matter of builds and mastery level though. Once mastered the Awesome is very nimble for its size.

With the exception of the 9M and PB, you don't suffer a tonnage tax putting in the biggest possible engine. The 300 STD really is a nice size for an 80-ton mech. It sits on the balance point where you're not losing payload tonnage in engine vs a smaller mech and the inefficiency of trying to make it go as fast as a heavy. (Weight difference between 250 and 275 = 3 tons. Weight difference between 275 and 300 = 3.5 tons. Weight difference between 300 and 325 = 5.5 tons). It's also a bit counter-intuitive, but energy-intensive Awesome builds are good candidates for endo steel. Most variants have a total of 8 crits you can't fill with DHS (2 CT, 2 LL/RL, 2 LA), so if you sacrifice two external DHS you can gain another 4 tons. That is conveniently enough to go from a 275 to a 300 and grant space for another heat sink in the engine.

Awesomes will suffer if you stick with the stock engines. In MWO 48 kph is too slow for 80 tons and the lower twist rate makes it harder to use your arms. However I think it's under-rated in a brawl. With these changes now, it may just make a superior pulse laser boat.

#71 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostMystere, on 01 August 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

I just took out my Pretty Baby for a spin packing 2xERPPCs and 2xSRM6s, after several months in the hangar. 3 kills, all Clanners, makes for a good run. :P ^_^ :ph34r:

Sounds like an Awesome Thug...

#72 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Tried the Pretty Baby, was even worse so I went back to Mechlab and tinkered an AWS-8Q together that uses all the energy slots, MLAS, some PPCs, and this one works well with one caveat, you must be standing next to an Atlas or Direwolf. The AWS-8Q makes a very good wingman for the bigger Assault mechs.

#73 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

They need to move the chest energy hard points up a bit, not up to the shoulder, but just higher. And partly encroaching on the the CT. Higher firing points while also reducing the size of the CT would make it a better design.

#74 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

i was piloting awesome from before the buff.

i wish they hadn't buffed anything - it opened the floodgates for a lot of noobs asking for quirks for the atlas in the stupidest possible way

besides, it was extremely short sighted to give the boost to the armor on the CT.
the problem with the awesome was always the sidetorso, not the center torso!
it seems like paul has played this mech about once!

right now for what it is, the firepower is a little bit better but you will get disarmed in no time by shooting your side torso
and people have stopped ignoring my mech too so it is even harder to pilot now !

the only ride that has been made better is the zombie 9m because of the buff to ct armor, but not as much as you'd think

this would have been A LOT better

Posted Image

and it's not like we haven't been telling em - this is what was needed.
what they did as usual, just makes you scratch your head

#75 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

the CT of the Dragon needs a similar boost to the AWS.

But only, if they change the hitboxes back to the old one. With the new hitboxes, the side torsos are much more of a problem. They are so easy to hit and go down so quickly, especially with splash damage from Clan PPC.

#76 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostBromineberry, on 02 August 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

But only, if they change the hitboxes back to the old one. With the new hitboxes, the side torsos are much more of a problem. They are so easy to hit and go down so quickly, especially with splash damage from Clan PPC.

That would be a LOT of spash to blow the sides of an 80 tonner.

#77 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I've piloted the Awesome 8q and I can agree... first thing that goes when you run into guys is a side torso. In under 10 seconds due to how easy a target it is for focus. SRMS spread? Side torsos eat the bulk. Focus fire? Side torso eats it as well. Arms? PERFECT CONDITION when your side torso gets blown to bits.

Awesomes do not make good front line fighters, too easy to concentrate damage anywhere.

They fixed the center torso by making it a bit tougher, just before no one went for the side torso because the center was an easy target. Guess what? Now the side torso being an easy target is getting more attention.

Edited by ManDaisy, 02 August 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#78 orion0117

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAbyssal Netz

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

It's better, not enough but it's now slightly closer to Awesome than Bummer on the scale. Still has a long way to go to be good and live up to its lore and predecessor incantations like in MW4. Its biggest flaw is its modeling, it's just too wide.

I've been tinkering with the 9M, XL375, 2 ERPPC and 1 ERLL. It can actually alpha strike 2-4 times depending on the map without a meltdown.

Awesome is starting to be awesome PUG fun again. Stay mobile, stay near friendlies. DO NOT run off and try to take on the enemy alone. Even a locust. I believe it's well know the AWS is a med-long range fire support chassis. It can pack an assault punch at range but can't take it in return at any distance.

#79 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 02 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

That would be a LOT of spash to blow the sides of an 80 tonner.

Think in this instance we are talking the Dragon.

#80 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 August 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Think in this instance we are talking the Dragon.

That would make more sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users