So the NDA has been lifted on Star Wars The Old Republic...

19 replies to this topic

#1 Yeach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

http://www.swtor.com...ad.php?t=630104

I find it tough to navigate and keep track of all the threads from this forum and that.

Anyways I have been a beta tester for SWTOR since June... so...
I probably refer you to the general forum if you have questions.... :)

#2 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

I only got in for the last stress test weekend, but were you as unimpressed by it as I was?

#3 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Someone on the Eve Forum leaked their thoughts on it when it was still under NDA. It's total stupid like i knew it would be.

#4 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

It is good for what it is.

The mechanics of the game and the story usually gets better after level 10 when you get off your origin planets.
After level 10 you define yourself by
1. Advance class.
2. Crafting.

I pretty much imagine this game like a really really long single player game with co-op.
Very easily replayable because of the light/dark side options and different advance classes, crafting, and romanceable companions.
However repeating a story can get tedious at times. If you played Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Kotor or any other Bioware game you'll probably know what I am getting at.

Pvp seems like a add-on afterthought. Real pvp I hear doesnt actually get started until your reach the pvp planet at level 50.
Funny thing is I have never got a character past level 41 because each time I get there a new build comes in and my character gets wiped. I have played all classes to level 10.

Stories is ultimately what will sell this MMO. The stories are great and there are 8 stories for the 8 classes.

#5 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

Oh the stories are definitely the selling point of it; I just hated the "everyone has to be a pet class" aspect and the fact that it felt more like "World of Warcraft: The Phantom Menace, now with voices!" expansion than anything.

#6 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

View PostKudzu, on 19 November 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

it felt more like "World of Warcraft: The Phantom Menace, now with voices!" expansion than anything.
That was my fear. WoW really sucked, so I'm always looking for MMOs that differentiate themselves from it...

#7 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

I don't know what TOR has to do with MechWarrior, but I'll play along.

If you're a Star Wars fan, you'll enjoy TOR.

If you're an MMO fan, you'll enjoy TOR.

If you're an RPG fan, you'll enjoy TOR.

imho, I've enjoyed TOR more than any other MMO I've played since I first started playing them more than a decade ago. I also enjoy it more than I enjoyed ME or DA.

Is it perfect? Of course not.

But between TOR, Diablo 3 and MWO, I'm going to end up three shades paler by the end of next year, I'll be spending so much time playing computer games... ,-)

#8 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

View PostMelissia, on 19 November 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

That was my fear. WoW really sucked, so I'm always looking for MMOs that differentiate themselves from it...

Have you checked out The Secret World? It's the one I've been keeping my eye on.

#9 Kyll Long

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

View PostKudzu, on 19 November 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

Have you checked out The Secret World? It's the one I've been keeping my eye on.

What faction Kudzu? I am of course Templars :)

#10 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Flipping between Templars and Lumies at the moment, actually. I'd eventually like play all three just for the different story lines.

#11 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

I too got into the last stress test and have very mixed thoughts (generally unfavorable) about the game.
Disclaimer: My opinion is from an old-view on mmos and is likely to be a minority one.

#1 MMOSPG + Voice!

I understand that the beginning of a game is supposed to set up your expected experience for the rest of the game but ******* the intro for my Bounty Hunter was frustratingly long. I click a few times on a pre-canned conversation and so on. Eventually I can play right? No, first thing I do is go into another instance and initiate another conversation. I understood going in that there would be FULL VOICE!™ and that I would not be entirely acceptive of it so bear in mind much of my viewpoint on this game stems from there.

I come from a MMO background that is NOT themepark. MMORPGs as I have enjoyed them were "sandbox" and player-driven. I really really miss them, and greatly dislike the profitability of themepark mmos because they brought in a playerbase that doesn't give a damn about community imo. But that is all for another never-to-be-made thread.

#2 Character Customization
It is beta so whatever all options are probably not included, but I was very disappointed and if I were to play SWTOR; I do not look forward to seeing another lookalike of my character. This includes armor which by now I cannot believe the lack of variance to clothing in mmos (this includes WAR and WoW). -Why aren't art teams adding every different little sketch of an armor into the game? I want VARIETY!

#3 Combat and combat animations.
Nothing special.

#4 Social features
General chat only included in stress test. When you join one of your converstations to start a quest, everyone around you disappears. Ok cool you dont need clutter while you watch some CG of your character(I mean their character) talking to someone. But why is this not just a single-player game? I did not get a chance to experience any group quests or convos so that might be redeemable.

Final Note:
The only thing that would get me to play this game is if someone else was teamed with me at all times so I could actually experience a multi-player story with someone, but the likelihood of that happening is low for me so :).
-OR- If open-world PVP was worthwhile. Seeing as the WAR-team is part of that and I have heard talks of PVP-lakes(themepvpark) I have little hope.
:|

Also looking at TSW (Templars!) due to 3-factions.
/Damo

Edited by Damocles, 19 November 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#12 Kyll Long

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

Well if either of ya'll decide to run a Templar(s) let me know. It Betas in April and I'll have some time for it to keep me occupied before this launches. Thinking bout founding a Cabal over there if I can find enough people who think and play close to my style.

#13 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

For SWTOR
If you are a World of Warcraft player or someone who has played Bioware's single player games, you might like this game.
In a matter of speaking it gave me the same feeling I felt when I played the WOW beta; I lost alot of sleeps over playing it.

For old-time MMO who are use to sand-box games, probably not so-much.

For me, I am enjoying the game and always find I need to play more and more.
Only after level 10 and after the origin planets does the co-op gameplay really bring in the multi-player aspect that was so enjoyable.

#14 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

SWTOR is a good game as long a you don't dislike the specific subgenre. I only got to play for a weekend, but it was a fun weekend.

No, it's not a sandbox MMO, but that can't be held against it, because that's like saying Supreme Commander is a bad game because it isn't a first person shooter.

I liked the Mass Effect and KOTOR series of games, so while TOR will probably only hold my interest for so long, it's definitely a game I can enjoy for what it is, because it succeeds fairly well in its intended niche.

#15 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

I don't like the whole story approach to SWTOR, having AI companions in an MMORPG struck me as backwards in an MMORPG where the point of the game is to play with real human beings.

Especially since now everyone will have the same set of companions based on character creation choices which totally makes the AI companions out of place, killing immersion.

I don't see myself switching from WoW to SWTOR, I'm going to wait for Dark Millenium Online.

#16 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 21 November 2011 - 06:49 PM, said:

I don't like the whole story approach to SWTOR, having AI companions in an MMORPG struck me as backwards in an MMORPG where the point of the game is to play with real human beings.

Especially since now everyone will have the same set of companions based on character creation choices which totally makes the AI companions out of place, killing immersion.

I don't see myself switching from WoW to SWTOR, I'm going to wait for Dark Millenium Online.

Sure its best to get human players when possible as the AI is a little lacking. Heck you can play most of the game without companions.

But think more in terms of Guild Wars where you need that last spot filled and you can't find anybody.
Tada a companion can substitute for the last spot.
Much better than waiting to find someone to do a quest.
Stories are also accessible now by classes other than your own so you can watch other people's soryline.
I would say SWTOR caters very well to couples or buddies.

#17 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Did anyone see anything even remotely ground-breaking for SWTOR?

Cause I sure didn't, underwhelmed and disappointed is my best summation of how I felt after about 15 sec in game.

I really, really dislike the whole number keys = weaps format (oh, shoot that guy, 1,1,1,1,1,2...etc...)

It's going to flop, bigtime, sad really for bioware...another decent MMO house brought down by selling out.

#18 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Big SW fan here (well all Sci Fi really)
Ive only ever played Xwing years ago, and the two force unleashed wii titles

Posted Image

#19 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

View PostKaemon, on 21 November 2011 - 07:21 PM, said:

Cause I sure didn't, underwhelmed and disappointed is my best summation of how I felt after about 15 sec in game.

I really, really dislike the whole number keys = weaps format (oh, shoot that guy, 1,1,1,1,1,2...etc...)

It's going to flop, bigtime, sad really for bioware...another decent MMO house brought down by selling out.

Wow to how you can really tell about a game in 15 seconds if its going to flop or not.

I'll just have to say that the story immersion is whats groundbreaking and sticking with tried and trues mechanics found in wow is the safe way to go about it.

I enjoyed the game and I really hate how Im not playing it now.
It is as addictive as the Wow open beta back in 2004.

#20 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

View PostKaemon, on 21 November 2011 - 07:21 PM, said:

Considering 15 seconds would still leave you in the opening cinematic, you must sure have hated it to condemn the entire game for it ^_^

If you were expecting the game to be anything other than multiplayer KOTOR, then you clearly haven't been paying much attention for the past several years.

To be honest, it's hard to fathom what you were expecting. Saying you wanted it to be "groundbreaking" certainly doesn't constitute much of an explanation of what you found wrong with it, oh but I forget, you had already made up your mind before the opening cinematic had finished.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users