Just Not Having Fun Anymore.

74 replies to this topic

#61 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostKoniving, on 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Certain Atlases (the K for example; but in general all of them) are useless because others got hardpoint fluffing (an Atlas D-DC is an Atlas D with FEWER weapons to fit the command center; so why does it have more missile hardpoints?) + ECM.

But yes.. just some intelligent design philosophies would be nice.

This really grinds me up... I love the Atlas but I can't help feel that I'm a walking Pinata half the time.. And for a 100 ton "assault".. where is my scary assault loadout? there are some mechs which pack a far meaner punch than the Atlas.. which strikes me as stupid since if that's the case.. what's the point of the Atlas at all?

as you noted I don't get the Variants.. and the Boars Head is just plain stupid. It's useless as a laserboat, and lacks enough balistic or missile HP to make it useful as a true assault. only way it doesn't overheat is if you throw in it's Original XL400 engine.. but then you're easily killed due to a side torso loss.. there are mechs which lasboat and don't overheat like the BH..

I don't know.. The game is really in a weird place now. I've noticed an increase now in LRMS again, less brawling, lots of weird balance issues in the MM (and no my ELO didn't take a nosedive), and overall I find myself playing less due to the frustration of dropping into a fireworks festival...

#62 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

Oh, we're in k-town now?

In that case...

Posted Image

#63 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostBaronBastardKiller, on 06 August 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

This really grinds me up... I love the Atlas but I can't help feel that I'm a walking Pinata half the time.. And for a 100 ton "assault".. where is my scary assault loadout? there are some mechs which pack a far meaner punch than the Atlas.. which strikes me as stupid since if that's the case.. what's the point of the Atlas at all?

as you noted I don't get the Variants.. and the Boars Head is just plain stupid. It's useless as a laserboat, and lacks enough balistic or missile HP to make it useful as a true assault. only way it doesn't overheat is if you throw in it's Original XL400 engine.. but then you're easily killed due to a side torso loss.. there are mechs which lasboat and don't overheat like the BH..

I don't know.. The game is really in a weird place now. I've noticed an increase now in LRMS again, less brawling, lots of weird balance issues in the MM (and no my ELO didn't take a nosedive), and overall I find myself playing less due to the frustration of dropping into a fireworks festival...

In the case of Atlases, the Boar's Head was based on a canon design.
"AS7-D Atlas Danielle

Piloted by Wolf's Dragoons Captain Danielle Rondema, this modified Atlas carried three medium lasers in each arm, trading away the SRM rack to do so. The additional heat was dissipated by two additional heat sinks that replaced the rear-firing medium lasers."

It still had an AC/20 and the LRM-rack (which was supposed to be 5 tubes as ALL Atlases had 5 tube LRM-20 rapid reload racks except the K; the K replaced the SRM launcher with a larger tube count LRM rack).

Far as the other Atlases, all Atlases had 1 ballistic hardpoint, up to 2 missile hardpoints and with THAT one exception, only up to 4 energy hardpoints. All torso energy hardpoints are REAR mounted to shoot backwards.

I know none of this works in MWO, and the favoritism came with a few things (to include ECM on a mech that doesn't carry it mainly due to the lore reason "there isn't even enough room to properly mount a proper LRM-20"). So instead lets take a minute to look at the Atlases in the source material to make some sense out of them, and to have an idea of what the game could have been like with some intelligent design.

Energy hardpoints and Atlas Cockpit to Dual Cockpit design.
Spoiler

Ballistics.
Spoiler

Posted Image
Now count the tubes here before continuing. How many holes in the left shoulder? 6. How many in the pack on the left? 5.

Missile hardpoints.
Spoiler

Meanwhile it should be noted that an Atlas cools with its stock configuration in 15 seconds from an overheat to 0 under nominal temperatures using standard heatsinks. (The same speed as 10 DHS would if thresholds didn't rise). At any one point in time, 50% heat (or 15 units of heat, 1 ER PPC -- it should be noted that ER PPCs in lore do not instantly generate their heat but build it over time) is the beginning of a 3% shutdown risk. Much like any other mech (who usually cool slower), the Atlas cannot generate more than 30 heat at once without a huge risk to itself. Therefore, it is perfectly viable as is if this game was done correctly and actually looked at the lore.

But we have rising thresholds (which when you add heatsinks you are adding cooling over time which thusly helps your mech fit all of its queued firepower into 10 seconds, in MWO you are adding cooling over time AND maximum heat/alpha potential). We also have PGI's belief that "1 AC/20 use in tabletop must be 1 shot" rather than 1 AC/20 use is 1 AC/20 use.
(For the Victor 1 AC/20 use is actually 100 shots, for the largest IS AC/20 it's actually 4 shots, and thus it can be anywhere from 4 to 100 shots for an IS AC/20; the typical range is in the area of 100mm (15 shots) to 120mm (12 shots).)

And so, the balance of things is pretty out of whack. With each patch PGI conjures up its own balance, and while this makes some weapons more practical against mechs (AC/2s for example), the purpose of the weapons is getting increasingly warped and lost.

In trying the MWO meta in BT, it doesn't work. Even with a perfect 0/0 pilot who can make jumpjet landings with only one leg from the PRONE position while under fire, the weapons are virtually worthless. I've tried many combinations. Twin PPC + AC/5 with max armor, JJs, Endo, etc. for a Shadowhawk. LRM boats. 6 SRM-6s (kept overheating), 5 Streak-6s (rarely would fire, tried it again with Streak-4s and streak-2s and it turned out to be best and most viable to carry Streak 2s). Every feasible meta in MWO failed in BT as absolutely worthless. Even changing to Solaris Rules, these mechs were being creamed by Locusts, being creamed by STOCK mechs, being creamed by tanks, jeeps with SRM-launchers, just..absolutely worthless.

But it's meta here, and it's entirely due to PGI's own version of balancing.

More on missiles; particularly minimum range
Spoiler

The Clan / IS Gauss + PPC meta.
Spoiler

-------------
But all of this is just some food for thought.

If only if PGI had some foresight, or at the very least read some of the manuals with an open mind. The basic Solaris rulebook doesn't cover it, and in fact is very screwed to begin with.

Edited by Koniving, 06 August 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#64 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

Lotta work for a post

that's now in

K-town

Here, have a tostada!

Posted Image

#65 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostLordSkippy, on 06 August 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Lotta work for a post

that's now in

K-town

Here, have a tostada!

Just put some more work into it to make it pretty.

However I kept a copy, and I'll be starting my own little blog thingy. Just churning out ideas after ideas. Sooner or later I'll try my own hand at a good Battletech mech sim. I'm keeping stuff like this for when that time comes. :(

Besides, better K-town than deleted.

#66 MarineTech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

Oh, you may rethink that

stance when we get done with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

I think, the most of the "BT-lover" player always forgot one major thing: This is MWO, not BT. Even if it looks similar from the far distance, it is a whole different thing, and this will never change. The rules here are made by Devs, not by your Sourcererbooks.. You can accept it, and enjoy it somehow and play it too, or don't accept/enjoy it and go away, to search an other games..

But, I think, if you always see everything here thru your "BT-Glasses" you will never enjoy it.. Every player have here a few or many ideas, how could be this game better.. But, none of us, and nothing can change that one major thing:

This is MWO, and the rules are made by Devs..

Please, try to accept this, and find here something, that a little bit enjoy you... anything... or just go away... But, someone will miss you,.. surely..

#68 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

nice post Koniving, have a cookie! ;)

but that's my point.. if the BH is kinda based on lore, then why didn't they base ALL the other atlas's on the book lol...

Add to the fact the main points as you menton about weapon use and heat means that the Atlas just ends up a regular ole big mech with nothing special about it at all.

#69 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

No no no

This thread is in K-Town now.

There will be no further

rational discussion.

That time is past.

The time now is for goofiness.

Posted Image

#70 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostSky Hawk, on 06 August 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

This is MWO, not BT [...] The rules here are made by Devs, not by your Sourcererbooks..

You were here back in the day; you should remember that the devs said they would make a game as close as possible to BattleTech lore. It was what made me plunk down $120 for a Legendary Founder pack.

Does anyone want to argue that the current MWO is "as close as possible" to BT lore? No?

#71 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Seems pretty close. Nothing horribly opposed to lore.

#72 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Dood, give it a chance, it's still in Beta.....

#73 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

View Poststjobe, on 20 August 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

You were here back in the day; you should remember that the devs said they would make a game as close as possible to BattleTech lore. It was what made me plunk down $120 for a Legendary Founder pack.

Does anyone want to argue that the current MWO is "as close as possible" to BT lore? No?

They said a lot of things... Although I'm sad to see Red go...

#74 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

TRAITOR

Well, eventually only the devoted will be left. And there will be no more whining. Just sense and fun and competition.

#75 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

And tacos.

Don't forget the tacos.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users