10 True Double Heat Sinks Per Mech, Regardless Of Engine Size

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Change rules for true double heatsinks? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the first 10 heatsinks be true doubles, even if the engine is smaller than 250?

1. Yes (15 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No, I am afraid of locusts. Leave it as is. (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

Currently, all double heatsinks that are hardwired in the engine are 2.0, and all heatsinks added (to the engine or elsewhere) are 1.4x as efficient as single heat sinks.

This hurts the locust and commando a lot.

It also hurts the current clan light mechs, which aren't terrible, but easily get out brawled by IS lights.

Proposed System: First 10 heatsinks 2.0, the rest of heatsinks 1.4, regardless of engine size.

To implement this, i suggest that all engines below 250 include special variants of heat sinks.

Ex:
XL200 - 2 heatsinks short, meaning that there will be 2x 1.4 efficiency heatinks that will be added, which we want to buff to 2.0. The difference is .6 * 2 = 1.2
So the XL200 gets 2.0*8 + 1.2 = 17.2 heat dissapation instead of its current heat dissapation of 16.

In effect, the engine heat sinks on an XL 200 will be 2.2x each, which will make up for the first two added heatsinks being 1.4x each.

An XL200 with 8 internal and 2 added heatsinks will cool as well as an XL250 with 10 internal heat sinks.

This way, all added heat sinks can still be 1.4, and we can avoid determining which of the added heatsinks are 2.0 and which are 1.4 (this matters when they are destroyed)

So what do you think?

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:48 AM

How about ALL double heatsinks to be made into truedubs? <_<

It'd be fine with decreased heatcap, i'm sure.

#3 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 02 May 2015 - 05:48 AM, said:

How about ALL double heatsinks to be made into truedubs? <_<

It'd be fine with decreased heatcap, i'm sure.

to many inballances here, also makes singles obselete.

I think making all 10 true doubles would be nice. it brings some engines out into usefulness.

#4 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 May 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

I think making all 10 true doubles would be nice. it brings some engines out into usefulness.

Singles are ALREADY obsolete.

#5 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 02 May 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

Beat me to it.

#6 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

No. The way it is is consistent with the classic rule system and is fair.

And honestly, you are living in some crazy fantasy world if you think this would be an advantage.

Light mechs have plenty of crit spaces to allocate every heat sink with no difficulty. And doing so helps protect your key components like your engine, and your weapons. The more stuff you have in your crit tables the lower the chance is to take a crit for the one thing you care about in that component. What you are asking for, is actually a nerf for lights.

You should instead be begging for the option to pull heat sinks out of the engine and allocate them to help protect more valuable components. This actually was an option in the table top rules right from the start, and was even used on some of the stock mechs.

P.S. And lose the blatantly biased poll questions. Afraid of Locusts. Seriously?

Edited by DoctorZuber, 02 May 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#7 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 02 May 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

Still usefull on 10 variants in game.

Also Repair and Rearm will be added to game later. if all doubles are true doubles then people will be severely hindered for using singles over doubles to cut repair as this will make them in some aspects 60% weaker instead of 35% weaker if they are 1.4's.

#8 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

I agree with original poster regarding current implemantation of DHS. The current double heat sinks are handicapping the mechs that can not equip/ do not come equpied with a 250 or gratere rated engine.

Currently Locust-1E is the only one that is heat nutral with 2 Medium Lasers, the rest are 80-90% range depending on skills and quirks.

Honestly the comunity have been dissatisfied with the two tier DHS since their introduction. It problay would have been better to have heatsinks function the same, weather they came with an engine or were added to the chassis.

1 SHS | +1 to heat capacity | 0.1 heat dissapation per second
1 DHS | +1 to heat capacity | 0.2 heat dissapation per second

I don't think "they" want to touch DHS with a 10 foot fiber-glass pole, becuse "they" will have to change all the quirks and their is very little monetary value to be gaind for something that you can't charge people money for or sell something.

P.S. Censored by the "Ministry of Truth"

Edited by Neput Z34, 02 May 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#9 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

Should the first 10 heatsinks be true doubles, even if the engine is smaller than 250?
  • Yes
  • No, I am afraid of locusts. Leave it as is.

I'm afraid that if a locust user need a topic like this and a DHS buff, he should improve his skills before ask anything. :rolleyes:

#10 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 02 May 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

I'm afraid that if a locust user need a topic like this and a DHS buff, he should improve his skills before ask anything. :rolleyes:
  • Locust
  • Myth Lynx
  • Commando
  • Urbanmech
  • Cute Fox
  • Badder
  • Vindicator
  • Blackjack
I know those robots are skeery things, but that doesn't mean they should be shafted.

Alternatives include giving them a Heat Dissipation quirk, if PGI doesn't want to complicate coding TrueDubs for 10 DHS.

The Myth Lynx, Locust, Urbie and Cute Fox (the 175-195 engine cap) required 2 tons of PoorDubs to match the dissipation of a Firestarter with 10 DHS. That's just sad.

Edited by Mcgral18, 02 May 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#11 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:59 AM

Well my kit fox or bAdder need nothing...

Only a 250 engine can have 10 internal Heat sink that's all... nothing to change from this side.

You don't wanna play mech which can't have 250 engine, ok it's fine don't buy them. Right?

#12 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:07 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 May 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

There is a way to cure that and i'm not talking about lowering the heat cap when you use SHS instead of DHS here.
But since it would be offsubject to talk at length about SHS in an DHS thread i'll just provide a link.
Single Heatsinks Rebalance.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users