28 replies to this topic

#21 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 08 August 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Cookie, no 'mech is going to be even remotely as effective without efficiencies. Things that simply don't work on a 'mech without basics (or even on a 'mech with basics) become easy to pull off once you have all four elite efficiencies (and thus double the basic efficiencies). It's an extremely different experience, thanks to huge alterations like a 2/3 re-start time after shut down a 10% speed increase, and massive changes to twist and turn efficiency, to say nothing of the step up from +7.5% cooling and +10% heat threshhold immediately to +15% cooling and +20% heat threshhold.

Go ahead and check on Smurfy's, the Weaponlab lets you 'radio box' on Cool Run, Heat Containment, and Elites- it's the difference between 15 seconds firing before overheat and as much as 29-32 seconds firing before overheat.

Additionally, you have to count in the time getting used to weapon placement and the individual 'mech agility- if you don't take the time to at least finish Basics you're just not going to have a clear idea how the 'mech behaves. It's like deciding to learn how to knit, or any other physical skill, really- you're just not going to get it right away. Or a new sport- if you're used to american football and you suddenly start playing rugby, you're not going to be as good at it, even though there are considerable similarities.

Yea well,i just dont do well in assaults. My situational awareness sucks,and that thing is the key for any assault pilot regadless of chassis.

#22 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Honestly, as potent as the Victor is it's an expensive investment ontop of being a one trick pony. Fast IS assaults kinda lost their charm against madcats and summoners. 2x PPC + 1xAC10 is still a very potent weapon combo but its dull and a highlander can take more punishment doing it.

The Highlander has the tonnage to support a standard engine and a better overall cbill variant layout than the victor. You might not be able to fit the same insane builds you used to but it's still a potent mech. Its 2 ton jumpjets are a bigger investment than the victors 1 ton jumpjets. But the mech itself is more durable and 10 tons heavier to boot.

MY recommendations would be:

1. Highlander
2. Stalker
3. Victor
4. Atlas

#23 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 08 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Yea well,i just dont do well in assaults. My situational awareness sucks,and that thing is the key for any assault pilot regadless of chassis.

....if you say you're bad at a chassis type, why are you making recommendations/declarations about the quality of the 'mechs in it?

#24 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 08 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

....if you say you're bad at a chassis type, why are you making recommendations/declarations about the quality of the 'mechs in it?

well as beginner wise that would be informative,and to be clear,assault mechs need skilled pilots,im not one of them.

Edited by Cookiemonter669, 08 August 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#25 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I always run a huge XL in Battlemasters (XL 390 and up)and they are suprisngly surviveable due to the rather large CT and big arms to soak damage with.

#26 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostBeast Incarnate XIII, on 08 August 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Stalker....does everything the Battlemaster does, only better. Better hardpoints, can brawl, snipe or hurl LRMs.

It can't go 83.9 kph like the BLR can, that's for sure. :)

#27 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

First assault, real good question.

I have not run victors, but I have watched them and gauged them. You can get speed out of them and some maneuverability and they are up on my targeting threat list. The jumpjets are a good thing coming from mediums

Battlemasters can tank damage and with larger engines. Now the two achievements for going below 40% and 30% health I got using a battlemaster 1G with a 400XL chasing down slower centurions. With standard engines you can take alot more damage. Now the 1S is a very dangerous LRM boat, and never under estimate anyone in one, even if he is out of LRMs, just using 4 ML's

Then Awesomes are not awesome. Well in the right hands they are very dangerous. Never underestimate them. They can be fast or slow. Full of lasers or missiles.

Atlases well are meat shields, but you might be able to use them effectively. Always work in a group with them.

Highlanders are slower than the victors, but preform close to them. Also with the Jump jets you have increased mobility. I do not see many now, but I know what I can do with them.

Banshees are good gun platforms, but the direwolf is out there now.

Stalkers are slower, but if you can roll the damage tank very well. The 3F may be the best one due to twist speed.

My recommendation would be a Victor, Battlemaster, Highlander then the Awesome.

#28 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Jumped the sale and bought the 2 Banshees,how hard did i fail?

E seems to be somewhat good,i run it with STD340,3 AC5:s and 4 medium lasers.S was a bit problematic.

#29 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

I should have know.....
I was undecided to buy a Battlemaster or a Victor and it ended that I've bought both ;)

I chose Btm-1s as my first big lrm boat (having already the right modules; sadly I can mount only one now, for new module system)
And I chose Victor 9-B, because it recalls me an heavier brother of my beloved SHWs

All of you have been very kind with your tips!
Thanks a lot!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users