A Simple Way To Bring Mechs With Melee Weapons To The Game...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

The Hatamoto Chi, Axeman, Hatchetman, and a few other mechs in BT Lore had powerful melee weapons at their disposal, but I understand that, because of the current game mechanics, it seems a waste of time to implement such weapons for such a small number of mechs.

My simple answer is this:
Mechs with melee weapons have a box like the upper/lower arm actuators, and hand actuators that, when clicked, adds weight and critical for such weapon (and effects hit box).

Melee attacks can only occur in ranges of under 15m. Damage is spread from point of attack, and only damages immediate adjoining structures (hit left arm, 50% damage spread to LT. Hit LT, 50% of damage is spread between CT and LA, etc... Damage from strike is 30dmg, with a 30% increased chance for critical strike after all armor is removed from the target. Cool down is 40 seconds, and any direct torso hit has 30% of knockdown (remember that?), and any direct leg strike is a 70% chance of knickdown. Melee weapons have no ammo restrictions, but considering the damage a person absorbes in close combat, and the time limit on the matches, coupled with the huge cool down time, only the bravest (or most foolish) would sacrifice 5 to 7 tons of space for a melee weapon.

#2 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

But first they need to add in melee, since all 'Mechs are capable of melee in some form or another.

Secondly, you need to make melee weapons worth it.
30 damage? Cool.
40 second cooldown? Uh, no. I can swing an axe faster than that, and those 'Mechs with melee weapons are designed to have them. The range itself balances it, so there is no need for a massive cooldown penalty.

Also, don't advise knockdowns. They aren't coming back unless we see some major reworking as to how they work. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a bit cold, but nobody wants to be perma-downed.

#3 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Well then it begs the question of certain mechs we have now. Yen-Lo-Wang has claws on it's empty arm for the Type 1 variation, the Type 2 variation is more whats currently in game. Do we give the option to buy either one for the store?

#4 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

They should just put lightsabers in the mechs' hands and have it pivot back and forth 90 degrees repeatedly until it hits something, it might look corny that the actual mech arm doesn't move, but we work with what we have.

#5 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

well i think melee would go a long way to balanceing is vs clans

#6 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Add a Physical Attack button. Physical Attacks follow a progression, based on available actuators.

1 - Upper Arm Actuator Only. Can only be used when stationary. The mech kicks for tonnage/10 damage. 10 damage on a Daishi.
2 - Lower Arm Actuator: Can be used on the move. The mech punches for tonnage/10 damage. 10 damage on a Daishi with only small arm weapons (assuming that gets them their LAAs).
3 - Hand Actuator: Can be used on the move. The mech punches for tonnage/7.5 damage. 15 damage on an Atlas.
4 - Hatchet: Can be used on the move. The mech strikes for tonnage/5. 20 damage on an Atlas. Also, the attack is faster and can be done more often (higher DPS).

Kicking and punching would have a 5s cooldown, hatchets would have a 3s cooldown. The game defaults to whichever arm has the best damage bonus (for example, favoring an arm that has a hatchet, or avoiding an arm that lacks actuators in order to fit a bigger gun). As a mech takes damage (loses its punching arm, for instance), it will dynamically switch attack mode. In situations where both arms are the same, it defaults to right until that gets destroyed, then switches to left. Legs follow the same pattern for kicking.

Edit: Clans could do physical attacks, but it might be worth doing for PGI to say that only IS mechs can use them. Certainly hatchets would be IS only.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 08 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#7 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

and swords dont forget swords

#8 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

I would just be happy to have these melee based 'mechs even without the functionality to use them. Just keep it tabletop and add the weapons weight to the 'mech and let us stick XL engines in with endo steel and create great builds. My worry with them adding melee is that some maps would become a moshpit of friendly melee "fire" and ranged weapons becoming moot. Also can you imagine Spiders running around punching other 'mechs but being so fast you can't punch them back? The rage would be supernova here on the forums.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users