Named Places In Maps

Help Me Question

17 replies to this topic

#1 UselessDeadweight

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hi guys.
I have a request. It turns out that over time particular points on the maps have received names that are reffered to by more experience players. For example, in Caustic Valley, you might not know that point D4 is called "caldera".

Case in point, I was told to regroup at "the crow's nest" at Frozen City. I have no idea where that is, and was too busy dying to ask.
So I think we noobs might benefit from a list of named places and their grid points.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Somehow I think that's the 'cup' at the nose-end of the dropship.

Not sure though. It's essentially nest shaped.

#3 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostUselessDeadweight, on 09 August 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

For example, in Caustic Valley, you might not know that point D4 is called "caldera".

Pretty sure that the only people who didn't know that are people who don't know what a caldera is. Ok, I've got one for you. The wet half of Forest Colony maps is called "water side".

#4 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I know a few but crow's nest is not one I know.

On alpine the two big ones are "Radio Tower", "Victory Road" and "Everest." "Radio tower" is the tall radio tower like structure way up at the top of the map. "Victory Road" is the road that leads from the base down at the bottom of the map up to the high base near the top of the map. "Everest" is the big mountain peak just above "Victory Road."

On River City the three big ones are Citadel, Upper City and Lower City. "Citadel" is the large building on the rise just at the coast of the city. You know, the big one with the split in the middle. "Upper City" refers to the area of the city that is at a higher elevation without the drop ship. If they say drop ship, its not upper city, its at the drop ship. "Lower City" is the space below "Upper City" across the river from "Citadel." Others are more obvious like river, and to a smaller extent "Park" which is the area without buildings between "Upper" and the river.

Frozen City has a few worth bringing up. "The Saddle" is the space past the nose of the Drop ship with the two small buildings against the wall with the cave in it. "Cave" is well, the cave. And "Jenner Ally" is the canyon that wraps around the map from the south west to the north east.

Caustic is rather lacking in names but it also lacks landmarks. We use terms like the "2 line" more to figure out where things are going. The "Caldera" is also safe. Tera Therma falls into this same category of lacking names.

#5 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I have some names, community and personal, in these topics in the Visitor's Guide section.
http://mwomercs.com/...st-colony-snow/
http://mwomercs.com/...2-alpine-peaks/
http://mwomercs.com/...ver-city-night/
http://mwomercs.com/...canyon-network/
http://mwomercs.com/...caustic-valley/
http://mwomercs.com/...crimson-strait/
http://mwomercs.com/...7-terra-therma/

Still 3 more to go.

#6 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostLauLiao, on 09 August 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

Pretty sure that the only people who didn't know that are people who don't know what a caldera is.

Report to duty!

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Posted Image

Crashed Dropship: Obvious landmark.
Titanic: A sea-based luxury cruise ship. Once had many sights to be seen inside of it, but the model got simplified and some of the features are now gone. Would've been very cool to walk around while on foot.
The Lower Path: Frequently used as a safe passageway to sneak behind the North team in Assault and Skirmish modes. In Conquest it's probably the most unsafe place to be.
Tunnel / Cave: The enclosed passageway from base to base. Anyone with a Seismic Sensor or within jamming range can detect you from within the cup/crow's nest.
Cup / Crow's Nest: A handy little area that can be used by either side for poptarting with or without jumpjets. Also known as pop-and-squat tactics. Tends to be an Artillery target.
B's Den: An area where sneaky unorthodox pilots will infiltrate the South base from in such a way that the turrets are absolutely worthless and the enemy will be completely surprised. The reason for its name is that about 50% of the matches it is used in, by the time the player can actually use this point of ingress into enemy territory, the entire North team has been defeated. Either the player using it wins the match by sheer greatness, or the player trying to use it is a (redacted) for wasting everyone's time. Unfortunately if trying to use it as anything greater than 60 tons, you're more likely the latter.

There's more names to be thrown out there, but meh. Just use the letter/number combination if you want people to know what the heck you're talking about.

Edited by Koniving, 09 August 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#8 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Interestingly, Koniving calls 'the Lower Path' and the 'Cup/Crow's Nest' above, I've only ever heard called 'Jenner Alley' and the 'Armpit/Elbow', respectively. Just in case those come up in regards to Frozen City.

Also, the area between the nose of the dropship and the Cup/Crow's Nest/Armpit/Elbow I often hear referred to as 'Ret ard or Redneck Ridge'.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

I think it's safe to say that named places on maps are not uniform amongst the playerbase aside from a handful of obvious examples. More often you see grid coords at least in chat. But yeah, some maps don't have a lot of landmarks either.

#10 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Crimson has "the saddle" as well. Also "tunnel" and "lower garage". And of course "THE ISLAND".

Tourmaline has "the stargate".

Manifold "the basement".

Terra Therma's caldera I have heard called "Mount Doom".

But when people use these terms they usually are just trying to be cute. You will hear or see far more often grid coordinates or lines.

#11 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yea, there are lots of names for some things, and they are different from group to group. If your not sure in a drop what the other players are talking about, ask for coordinates. You will learn over time. If you play with a group over TS, then you will probably pick up whatever lingo they are using fairly quickly.

View PostGolrar, on 10 August 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Terra Therma's caldera I have heard called "Mount Doom".

For example, the group I play with will just call this 'Center', 'The Pug Zapper' or 'the Do-nut'.

Edited by Bhelogan, 10 August 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

On the River City maps one area that I hear referred to, and to which I have myself referred is "The Park". It's the grassy area just below upper city near the water and which has an overpass. BTW, it's not a bad place to launch lrms from because the bridge can provide just the right cover if you play it correctly.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Pretty sure "crow's nest" does not refer to the narrow empasse at the high end of the dropship but instead to the tall promontony located past the bottom of the dropship and up the cliff; if you were on the Epsilon cap point and looking towards the dropship there is a cliff on your right with a small ridge and a tall building. this offers a sniper nest or even just a nice view, next time I load the game I'll part there and take a screencap

#14 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Named landmarks aren’t universal; as an example, I’ve never once heard a single reference to the ‘crow’s nest’ in Frozen City and have no idea where/what it is.

Most of the time though, a given name for a map will generally be about one, two, maybe three important features on it. I’ve heard a dozen different names for that godforsaken mountain on Alpine; at this point I know pretty much any snarky name relating to large hills or mountains on Alpine is referring to that one cluckmothering mountain everyone seems to flock to like it’s Castle Friggin’ Greyskull.

It’s the same on most maps. After a while you pick up on what the important landmarks/locations are and the pet names people have for them will mostly be obvious. Even the ones that aren’t are, i.e. Coward’s Ridge in Frozen City (the central barricade built up around the crashed dropship that you can NOT convince your team to hop over short of impending nuclear Armageddon) or Coward’s Rock in Forest Colony (the large rock pillar in the lake with a lovely view of the broken ship and the central Conquest point, which your team will sit behind until the end of time if you let them). Mostly you’ll recognize these because one poor schlub on your team will be bellowing at you to “GET OUT FROM BEHIND COWARD’S FRIGGIN’ ROCK AND FIGHT DAMNIT” after three continuous minutes or more of being pecked to death by sniper fire and LRMs.

Usually that guy is me.

T_T

#15 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Frozen city

****** ridge

Does that ring a bell?

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostZack Esseth, on 09 August 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Frozen City has a few worth bringing up. "The Saddle" is the space past the nose of the Drop ship with the two small buildings against the wall with the cave in it.

Never heard that one. For me "The Saddle" is the mountain pass on Crimson Strait.

#17 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I prefer this approach:

"<DavidHurricane>: I don't know where that is."
"<Misc. helpful player>: It's in B7."

#18 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

The most common ones I know are

River City:
- Upper/Lower city refers to the east side of the map. Upper city is the elevated area, in the nort, whil lower city is the area in the south. A lot of attacks on the enemy force by the eastern team are performed through upper city.
- Dropship: Elevated nothern area of the eastern part of the map. The area below is usually referred to as parking lot or basement.
Citadel/Alcatraz/etc.: The large building and by extend part of the lower eastern area of the map.

Therra Therma:
- Cauldron/Circle: The round center area of the map. Has high strategic value but some like to refer to it as "PUG's End" to better describe what happens inside. The choke points that mark its entrances are absolutely lethal to an invading team while rushing out through them is a lot less risky, due to the shape of the surrounding area.

Canyon Network:
- Ridge: The lower areas that run through the canyon. A very dangerous place for larger 'Mechs, as it allows enemy 'Mechs to shoot them from above and are much less at risk of return fire.
- "The corner": That one near 90° corner in the upper east section that is barely wide enough for two 'Mechs at the same time between the ridge and the upper levels. Choke point, but provides a lot of protection to the south team due to the shape of the canyon.

Well, I might add a few I can remember, but only Alpine and River City are that extensively named. The others largely rely on fairly obvius visual points of reference.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 11 August 2014 - 12:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users