Maps Mode

No replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

I previously did a review of Turrets before the patch that lowered Turret Health. I was going to follow it up further and in writing, the follow up evolved into one for each map (similar maps grouped together) covering all three modes.

COMMON HEADER INFORMATION TO ALL MAP & MODE REVIEWS
Maps will either be listed with Smurfy links when you can mouse over Lance and Turret locations to see what is where at match start. I will provide a map image or two of my own modified from Smurfy’s with marking showing in White outlined areas where typical combat is at least in my ELO bracket and possible recommendations for new Turret locations for reasons described, these will be in SPOILER sections. If two maps are similar (ex: Frozen City & Frozen City Night) I will combine them into one review noting any differences between them.

This is the first in the series on a map with 2 versions I especially dislike in one mode.

I would like to note one common thing about Turrets on all Maps.
With a LRM Turret having 2LRM10s (unknown if Artemis is present), I think of these as a Medium LRM Mech.
With a Laser Turret having 2 Medium Lasers, these are slightly less firepower then even a Locust.
Given the ‘Mech equivalent strength of the two Turret types, I believe the LRM one may be one launcher size too big and should be dropped to twin LRM5s.

FROZEN CITY & FROZEN CITY NIGHT
All modes have the same Lances names opposite each other (Alpha vs. Alpha, etc.) except in Skirmish where both Alphas start opposite both Charlies. Given that any pre-mades will usually be in Alpha, that means if there is one pre-made per side, they start against each other; in Skirmish,, this means a pre-made can start against a non-grouped Lance. Both maps have bases and start locations in the same spots.

Now let’s get you the Visitor’s Guide. Note, some of the locations are called by Community Names I know of, others I don’t and some I just plain made up.
In this map:
Spoiler

The White Spot in the middle is the broken dropship.
The Green line outlines the Trench.
The Purple line outlines the lower plain of frozen water.
The Orange lines are the safe routes for those without jump jets between the lower areas and the rest of the map.
The Yellow lines are the tunnels.
The Tan circled area I believe is referred to as the Crow’s Nest.

SKIRMISH MODE
Spoiler

Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting though there are times fighting occurs outside the center. Tunnel attempts used to be more common than they are now. Rarely does anyone go to the lower areas since enemies on high ground will have excellent firing solutions on targets.

CONQUEST MODE
Gameplay - Usually Gamma team takes Epsilon, Sigma takes Kappa, Lights may got Theta though rarely part or even all of a team goes Theta for some reason and gets mowed down from enemies using high ground for excellent targeting so never go Theta unless you must.

ASSAULT MODE
Gameplay - A majority of the map noted by the White circled area sees fighting though there are times fighting occurs outside the center. Tunnel attempts used to be more common than they are now. Rarely does anyone go to the lower areas since enemies on high ground will have excellent firing solutions on targets. No one wants to try for base captures despite 1-2 possible weaknesses in base defenses.

PERSONAL CHANGES SUGGESTIONS
There are no real problems with this map that I can think of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users