55 replies to this topic

#21 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Pug matches aren't real matches. Doesn't really matter what happens in them.

#22 Reverendk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLike and subscribe to see videos similar to this one.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostThatGuy1972, on 11 August 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Since the release of the clan expansion is it my imagination or are there so many new horrible players? I have been here about three years ,and in that time I had a 2.5 to 1 kill ratio and an almost 2 to 1 win vs loss ratio. Not to boast but I am an asset to my team. But, for the last three months all those ratio's have fallen to almost a 1 to 1 basis based entirely on not being able to win a match because my team is so bad that it is alm0ost laughable. You would think that a game with a turtorial and a target range would have players that could hit something. I can not count the matches I have had where I do over 700 to 800 damage a kill or two and the rest of my team's damage scores start at about 250 and get progressively worse. Nothing is more discouraging then watching a player in a golden Dire Wolf score 49 points of damage with 1 assist. Is it me or are there so many new horrible players that they have now almost ruined the game entirely? Lots of people put effort into getting better, now are forced to carry eight useles players? When will the admin's bother to add a real scoring system so players who are good can group with other players who are good? Some kind of an ELO system that doesnt handy cap a team?

You've got a real sour attitude, so it's no wonder you're currently incapable of the tight groups that someone forced to "carry" a team needs to successfully slot floppies. When you claim to traffic in the sickest plays, highest elos, and most friction-less coatings you can't go on to the forums all in a huff and throw a hissy fit when newer players aren't up to snuff.

It's uncouth.

If you want to raise your elos you need to step it up and make it happen.

#23 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 11 August 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

If you play like that the only thing you're hurting is your own W/L.

That would make sense if I cared about it.

All I care about it my cbill earnings. There's a reason I still pull down over 200k per round, win or lose. It's all about the bonuses...kills amount to crap. It's about assists, counter ecm, spotting and damage per match. Who cares if you win or lose? The damn matchmaker still tries it's level best to keep you at a 1:1....granted, it does a piss-poor job of it, much like everything else PGI does.

View PostBelorion, on 11 August 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Pug matches aren't real matches. Doesn't really matter what happens in them.

Except for those of us that don't play in groups. Then PUG matches are pretty much all we've got. Sorry we all can't be "high level competative players."

View PostReverendk, on 11 August 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

You've got a real sour attitude, so it's no wonder you're currently incapable of the tight groups that someone forced to "carry" a team needs to successfully slot floppies. When you claim to traffic in the sickest plays, highest elos, and most friction-less coatings you can't go on to the forums all in a huff and throw a hissy fit when newer players aren't up to snuff.

It's uncouth.

If you want to raise your elos you need to step it up and make it happen.

Except that you only raise your Elo when you do what the matchmaker doesn't think is going to happen. If your team is predicted to lose and you actually win, then you go up a MAXIMUM of 50 points. Considering the 1400 point spread the matchmaker uses to put teams together, that's an awful lot of "wins" to get you out of the pool. In fact, and let's be honest about this, with the current matchmaker....you can't get out of the pool.

In fact, it's better to have a lower Elo than a higher one. The higher you are, the more you're expected to carry. You can rack up a lot more damage if you're not one of the ones being carried.

Wait...I'm sorry. You thought that Elo was a good judge of someone's skill and that PGI was infallible. I apologize. They're not only Canadian, they're pretty much incompetent. Look at the most recent round of nerfs based on information gathered from....it doesn't matter because they said so.

If you haven't been playing in the solo queue for the last year, then you really haven't got a clue what the hell's been going on. Before the "re-write," it was a matter of the Elo system not working at all....now, it's "the better you are, the more you carry." Frankly, I can deal with it, but it sucks.

If you don't want to be called a noob, don't act like one. Learn to shoot without standing still and zooming in. If you're playing LRMs, don't require the rest of the team to take fire for you so you can steal a kill or two....stick your own lazy head out and get your own damn targets. If you can't handle the concept of "regroup. follow the herd," then you probably should kill your account, start a new one and do another 25 cadet matches because you obviously didn't learn crap the first 25.

Edited by Willard Phule, 11 August 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#24 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 11 August 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

One match I remember back with a 3 man in the PUG queue...our 3 man managed nearly 2000 more damage than the 9 other PUGs combined, with 10 kills between the three of us.

Not to take anything away from a good game, but a premade outscoring pugs on that order was a commonplace occurrence when they could mix with pugs. A small part of the reason PGI finally wised up and separated the queues entirely.

View PostWillard Phule, on 11 August 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

As soon as they hit match 26, they're given an Elo score that puts them SOLIDLY in the mid-range. There are a lot of us in the mid-range with over 2000 matches under our belts...we earned the right to be there.

You'd think after 200, let alone 2000 matches you'd be doing a little better than that, but yeah you are most definitely in the mid-range.

Mid range a.k.a. average, run of the mill, mediocre, nothing to write home about. I could go on but I won't rub it in....to hard. Even if you're just begging for it.

Edited by TB Freelancer, 11 August 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#25 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

people need to stop with the "200 or you suck" crap...

For the most part:
200 in a light is better then 200 medium
200 in a medium is better then 200 in a heavy
200 in a heavy is better then 200 in an assault
Why? because the bigger mechs bring more firepower and armor, so they can do more dps due to the firepower, and they can also live longer if they take fire back...

Second, I see tons of people saying the team sucks cause they got 500+ dmg and the rest of the team didn't, yet they have no kills??? If your team got stomped, and you had 500+ dmg and no kills, well you may want to rethink your skills... 500+ dmg should be enough to take down at least 1 mech unless you are spreading your dmg everywhere...

Yes we all have different skills... I can get a match where I do 20 dmg, or 1000 dmg... I figure I am somewhere in the middle of the pack for skills... and yes I get frustrated when a team just seems to run off and not work together... but I think far too many people in this game think they are way better then they actually are, and those are the ones I tend to see start screaming at their team when they die after running out on their own and getting focus fired down by 3-4 enemy mechs...

#26 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostTB Freelancer, on 11 August 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Not to take anything away from a good game, but a premade outscoring pugs on that order was a commonplace occurrence when they could mix with pugs. A small part of the reason PGI finally wised up and separated the queues entirely.

You'd think after 200, let alone 2000 matches you'd be doing a little better than that, but yeah you are most definitely in the mid-range.

Mid range a.k.a. average, run of the mill, mediocre, nothing to write home about. I could go on but I won't rub it in....to hard. Even if you're just begging for it.

You don't get it, man.

2800 is the max. 0 is the minimum. Mid-range is around 1400, right? When you're in your first 25, your Elo is so low that theoretically, you don't enter the main PUG queue. As soon as you hit 26 matches, they give you a score of 1400 and let you go.

So, even if you've managed to work yourself up to, say, 2000 or so, you're WELL within that 1400 point spread the matchmaker has to put to teams together. The higher you are, the more lower scored people you're going to be put with.

There aren't enough 2000 score people out there to put two teams together with. So, if you're at 2000, you're going to be saddled with a bunch of 1400 or less people to carry. Evidently, that's fine with Paul and Russ. Blame them.

#27 His Holiness Pope Buster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostKoryitsu, on 11 August 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Just gonna chime in here. I've actually played with you ThatGuy, and i called you out in game as being toxic. You were berating the team for the same stuff.

I've witnessed this as well; from ThatGuy and other players. Some people go completely nuts and it's actually kind of funny. Regardless, I recently discovered a strategy that seems to work with these angry warriors. I tell them that I love them and they get quiet in chat rather quickly. I think it may confuse them. In life, it's generally a good idea to not let things beyond your control bother you. If you are freaking out over a video game just remind yourself that I love you and allow yourself to really feel it. Also, it doesnt hurt to have some sexy saxphone player Sergio Flores playing in the background (search for him on YouTube, you won't regret it). I challenge everyone reading this post for the next week to give new players helpful suggestions in a friendly and positive way as well as telling anyone that's freaking out in chat that you love them. Just as an FYI, I will be 'liking' my own post.

Edited by Buster Highman, 11 August 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#28 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

All I keep hearing about on the forum is 'new players in trial mechs'. If there is an influx of new players maybe PGI could tighten up the Elo parameters a bit?

#29 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Beleroin (Pug matches aren't real matches. Doesn't really matter what happens in them. ) Dude like PUG matches are the main way most players play MWO. DOH
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davers (All I keep hearing about on the forum is 'new players in trial mechs'. If there is an influx of new players maybe PGI could tighten up the Elo parameters a bit? )

Your right Dave when all the new players start showing back up in the hundreds you can TWEET RUSS & Brian the good news hahaa.

I Suggest we ask PGI to change the name of MWO to =(World Of Mechs) it fits the game better.

Posted Image

Edited by PappySmurf, 11 August 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#30 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Since the release of the clan expansion is it my imagination or are there so many new horrible players? I have been here about three years ,and in that time I had a 2.5 to 1 kill ratio and an almost 2 to 1 win vs loss ratio. Not to boast but I am an asset to my team. But, for the last three months all those ratio's have fallen to almost a 1 to 1 basis based entirely on not being able to win a match because my team is so bad that it is alm0ost laughable. You would think that a game with a turtorial and a target range would have players that could hit something. I can not count the matches I have had where I do over 700 to 800 damage a kill or two and the rest of my team's damage scores start at about 250 and get progressively worse. Nothing is more discouraging then watching a player in a golden Dire Wolf score 49 points of damage with 1 assist. Is it me or are there so many new horrible players that they have now almost ruined the game entirely? Lots of people put effort into getting better, now are forced to carry eight useles players? When will the admin's bother to add a real scoring system so players who are good can group with other players who are good? Some kind of an ELO system that doesnt handy cap a team?

I run Dire Pickles, and I can tell you that it might not have been the guy's fault.

-Getting focused, sometimes in seemingly arbitrary fashion, happens - and happens HARD to Dire Wolves. This even happens in situations where you wouldn't think that match tactics would indicate (for example, taking theta with all but your light 'Mechs on Caustic Conquest, then having all of them overwatch Epsilon and focus down the Dire Wolf moving to support its lance's push that way.)

-Getting arty-trained, backstabbed, or isolated can lead to fast death and low scores without it necessarily being the victim's fault.

-On bigger maps, depending on where the action happens, it's the possible that the "Whale" doesn't reach the action in time to do anything of importance, resulting in low damage. This is why on Alpine, I tell the team, "Where to? Need to know now, because it'll take me five minutes to get there. Seven if it involves parkour on that stupid mountain."

So yeah.

#31 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image

#32 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

y or whatever your key is set to for team chat, is the most powerful command available to you.

Attempt to communicate with your team, politely and watch your win/loss go up.

#33 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

ThatGuy hey dude I found you a new MWO ride so you can be even more elite maybe you can pal up with little Willard and buy him one also hahha.

Posted Image

#34 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

This PGI ratio is......
4 Shooters.
3 New guys.
5 Total gits.
Per match.

#35 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

One of two things happened:
  • You aren't as consistently good as you think you are.
  • ELO caught up to you and you are facing equivalently skilled players on a more frequent basis.

#36 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Average Elo is between 1k and 1200, if memory serves new players got rolled back to 1,000.

If Elo didn't actually work there wouldn't be high Elo players who also happened to be top tier players in the game.

Bads will always look for excuses and blame other people. There is dead weight in every match. Maybe it's the window-licking mouth breather who runs off and dies or wanders around lost in 3PV and arm lock on. Maybe it's the guy who dies early, blames everyone else and spends the match screaming in channel at everyone else because, coincidentally, he got killed early being bad. Maybe it's the guy who cowers in the back, kill-steals and tries to farm damage and avoid locks.

They're all dead weight. A good player in pugs tries to work with and support his team and make up for the dead weight he got dropped with.

The higher your Elo the better the players you will play with and against. If you're always dropping with nubs then the issue is you're pretty close to the nubs Elo. People with an 1800 Elo are not dropping with 11 nubs. They're dropping with 1300s to 2100s most the time against other people in a similar range. The matchmaker looks for range FIRST. It also uses buckets; if you're under 1800 you're dropping generally with 1,000 to 1800 Elo players. You want to drop with top tier folks? Win more.

People get a high Elo by driving a win. Not by trying to blame other people. They examine what they did wrong and can do better and they apply it. Every gain in Elo they got they acquired by beating a team that had a higher Elo than they did. By improving and getting better and beating the odds via skill, determination and a bit of luck.

Sure, luck is in the equation. It's in every equation. It averages out though. That's why top tier players are top tier. Luck swings both ways, skill you can apply in every match.

Whining doesn't actually drive wins, ergo some people are just bads and angry at everyone else because they are bad. Like any other dead weight you drop with, ignore them when they're fussy. Getting in arguments just encourages them to be bads. They'll either sort themselves out or QQ eventually.

The first step to winning and being a good player is realizing that while the only thing you can control is your own performance, your performance matters. Focus on that, refine it and you'll win more. That's what Elo measures. It's why it works -

and why some people hate it and want to pretend it doesn't.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Life shows that people who like their own posts are seldom as good as they think they are.

If you like your own posts, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater... remember, a special hell

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 August 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 11 August 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

ThatGUY1972
{Since the release of the clan expansion is it my imagination or are there so many new horrible players? I have been here about three years ,and in that time I had a 2.5 to 1 kill ratio and an almost 2 to 1 win vs loss ratio. Not to boast but I am an asset to my team. But, for the last three months all those ratio's have fallen to almost a 1 to 1 basis based entirely on not being able to win a match because my team is so bad that it is alm0ost laughable. You would think that a game with a turtorial and a target range would have players that could hit something. I can not count the matches I have had where I do over 700 to 800 damage a kill or two and the rest of my team's damage scores start at about 250 and get progressively worse. Nothing is more discouraging then watching a player in a golden Dire Wolf score 49 points of damage with 1 assist. Is it me or are there so many new horrible players that they have now almost ruined the game entirely? Lots of people put effort into getting better, now are forced to carry eight useles players? When will the admin's bother to add a real scoring system so players who are good can group with other players who are good? Some kind of an ELO system that doesnt handy cap a team? }

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all welcome back to World Of Mechs bud I would assume most of the older more experienced MWO players have moved on to other games because it has become so boring and grandee. The players that are left maybe 20% of the total at the start of closed beta are either very experienced and in there Clan mechs or are Casual players that last a few weeks get bored and move on to other games and come back once a month or so and play a few games .

I have seen very few really new or noob players over this last year.The ELO system Is a farce it never really worked.

would love to know where you mined all this laughably unprovable data.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 August 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#39 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

If I and my teammates group up and run a 6 man group we had better make damn sure we are filling the assault/heavy slots because they will be filled with incapable yut'zes who wonder into the open and rob us of 200+tonnes of armor and weapons.....
You would think that ELO would find similar skilled pilots rather than filling slots with people who help the enemy kill us with FF and lack of self preservation.

ELO is a joke, always has been and always will be. Just another attempt @ a bad form of PGI wrangling the masses into Arti's Air's and cool shots.......to gain the edge the pugs erase.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 11 August 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#40 Manei Domini Krigg

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,005 posts
  • Locationred team

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Thats why my solo k/d is most important reit for me. When in your team almost noobs vs veterans in red team, you cant win, but you can kill 2-3 enemys (its when you fight, deal 2 kills and die... match ended with 2-12).

(its about solo queu)

Edited by Krigg, 11 August 2014 - 07:38 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users