Advice On Spending Money

37 replies to this topic

#21 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

dont buy camo on sale the price is about 10x what you would pay for a 1shot its good for all mechs of that chassis but you dont have 10 mechs of that chassis.

paint on sale are good for every mech you have.

mech bays are the best buy and rarely on sale.

i might even say hold off a little bit because i wonder will there be some mwo 1 year anniversary sale coming soon.cant say there will be tho...

a cbill boost will always help you , the xpboost becomes a money sink after you max the mech skills, you need to pay mc to move the xp to a different mech.

Edited by Gorantir, 15 August 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#22 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 15 August 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

champions are a waste, as anybody will tell you.

Judging by the rest of your post, i can see how you feel that way.. You have lots of time to play. But for those that don't champions are a great way to get a good mech, already outfitted and upgraded, and often with an engine that would cost you a entire week or two of grinding for a casual player..

So for a die hard grinder, sure.. maybe, But for a more casual player that doesn't mind spending a few bucks to save a month of grinding just to get say a cicada with an XL-340 and kitted out.. on a sale it costs less than a months premium (perhaps even not on sale) many people just play a few matches a few times a week. You don't realize how long it takes to save 10m playing casually

#23 Khaze

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

I've dropped some cash on a hero mech (Ilya) and the overlord phoenix package, and frankly wish I didn't. Maybe I will change my mind once community warfare hits and it brings the game some longevity and purpose.

My advice? If you really like the game, buy mech bays and a couple of hero mechs to serve as your cash cows. Premium time is not worth it, nor is buying mechs with MC. I mean, 50 bucks can keep you entertained for 300 hours in many games. Here 50 bucks buys you three "different" models of the same mech. Wtf?

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostGorantir, on 15 August 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

dont buy camo on sale the price is about 10x what you would pay for a 1shot its good for all mechs of that chassis but you dont have 10 mechs of that chassis.

This also depends on how whimsical you are about paints and patterns. Myself I'll change my appearance pretty often. Sometimes just to trick someone into thinking I rebuilt the mech when I didn't (it's handy for dealing with those who keep an eye on my builds and try to counter them).

Also handy because, well, perfect screenshot thread. Each chassis has about 2 to 6 patterns that I use so I change them pretty often.

But if you don't plan to repaint often, only paint the one you want to keep and do a 1 time pattern.
(Colors are unlocked for everything so no need to be stingy there).

Also. 3 minutes until the next sale.

#25 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

WIsh they'd make it easier to find out which colors are on sale. I

#26 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostItsalrightwithme, on 15 August 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

WIsh they'd make it easier to find out which colors are on sale. I

Well, they are listed here?

#27 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 15 August 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Yes, but can't they be shown on the UI? It's tiring clicky-clicking, each time having to cross-ref the UI name with the website.

#28 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostItsalrightwithme, on 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Yes, but can't they be shown on the UI? It's tiring clicky-clicking, each time having to cross-ref the UI name with the website.

There's a UI? :(

#29 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Where is UI ???? In year 3049 ?

#30 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostTotenxcx, on 15 August 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

I started playing the game recently and found it enjoyable enough to justify spending money on it. At first I was really keen on buying a timber/dire wolf a la carte. But now after waiting for my hype to pass and looking at other options I wonder if it's better if I got 12k mc for the similar price and buy hero mechs, hangar bays and paints when they're on sale. What do you think?

It depends on your PCs CPU. If it is a AMD, than spend your money for a new Mainboard and a Intel i5 oder i7 CPU to enjoy MWO.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 15 August 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

The names are listed, but gotta remember most men have a color vocabulary of 13 colors.
Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, white, grey, pink, tan, teal, and 1 random color of a fancy name related to their favorite sports team.

Of that entire list I know Maize is a yellowish orange. I only know that because I have it.

The others....what the heck are they? I mean...
Prunus
Sinenen
Pleione

Prunus sounds like a purple. Because prunes are purple.
.....what are the others?

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 August 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

The names are listed, but gotta remember most men have a color vocabulary of 13 colors.
Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, white, grey, pink, tan, teal, and 1 random color of a fancy name related to their favorite sports team.

Of that entire list I know Maize is a yellowish orange. I only know that because I have it.

Prunus
Sinenen
Pleione

Prunus sounds like a purple. Because prunes are purple.
.....what are the others?

Puce! Chartreuse! Celadon! Magenta! Mauve!

Yeah, I see your point, but it's Marik right? Look under purples and yellows?

<shrug> Lots of dumb thing PGI does, this one doesn't even move my needle, I'm afraid.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 16 August 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

<shrug> Lots of dumb thing PGI does, this one doesn't even move my needle, I'm afraid.

Oh I know.
Spoiler

In the mean time, next time you're in an Atlas I've uncovered a trick for adjusting your arm convergence height.
In an Atlas, fire your arms while moving very slowly, this is about the same as moving very fast. Notice how low-hung the arms are?
Now, stop and fire your arms. It's like they just rose up to 6 meters highers.
Enjoy!

Edited by Koniving, 16 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#34 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostAlreech, on 16 August 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

It depends on your PCs CPU. If it is a AMD, than spend your money for a new Mainboard and a Intel i5 oder i7 CPU to enjoy MWO.

My AMD Quad core begs to differ... runs MWO just fine...

#35 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hey, glad you're enjoying the game.

In my opinion mech bays are really the only thing you need to spend money on. Right now, we have had a few weekend challenges that award free mech bays. Last week with the Steiner challenge and one going on right now with the Marik challenge. Since it appears we are having a faction themed challenge for all the Inner Sphere houses I would hold off on mech bays. You can probably win a few more before all this is over. Make sure to check to challenge rules as you have to use certain mechs (hopefully at least one of the trial mechs will always be included).

After mech bays I would say the next best value for your money is premium time. Sales on premium time seem pretty rare, usually around the holidays if I remember correctly so I wouldn't hold out if you want to buy some. It really speeds up the grinding of cbills and experience.

After that we have mechs. I do not recommend using MC to buy a mech that is available for cbills. This includes champion mechs. As for the hero mechs, I think having at least one for the cbill bonus is a good deal. I recommend doing some research and even asking here before making that purchase though. Some of heros are kinda lack luster. Regarding the Clan mechs, make sure to check out their release schedule to see if the one you want is close to a cbill release. If it is, you should hold off. You mentioned the Timber Wolf and I think that one is still two months away from a cbill release. I would tell you to hold out but I certainly didn't ;)

Buying colors, paint schemes, and other vanity items is completely cosmetic and at your discretion.

#36 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostTotenxcx, on 15 August 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

I started playing the game recently and found it enjoyable enough to justify spending money on it. At first I was really keen on buying a timber/dire wolf a la carte. But now after waiting for my hype to pass and looking at other options I wonder if it's better if I got 12k mc for the similar price and buy hero mechs, hangar bays and paints when they're on sale. What do you think?

Waiting for sales is generally smart. ;) That said, it's unclear whether you're looking to spend ~50-ish or ~100-ish.

1. A single Clan 'Mech is a risk: if you buy Madcat, for example, and discover that you aren't enjoying it, you're out $55. Now, if you're looking at *both,* you might consider the Daishi Collection (Kit Fox, Nova, Summoner, Dire Wolf; 60 days premium time) for $120 instead of spending $110 on the two 'Mechs.

And if you're looking at participating in Community Warfare as Inner Sphere, don't even bother with the Clan 'Mechs. (On the other hand, if you're planning on joining the Clans, then consider your options!)

Getting past that, 12000 MC can stretch pretty far, especially if you look for sales.

2. The things you can buy with MC, and their relative value.

-Mech Bays: The more 'Mechs you can hold, the more variety (and fun) you can have - and the more First Victories you can pick up to speed up your GXP gains for module unlocks. Almost always good, as long as you only have a few empty bays at any time.

-GXP conversion: Once you've mastered (extra module) a chassis, if you keep playing it, that 'Mech XP isn't exactly useful right now; conversion lets you move it into your GXP pool, 1:1, for 1 MC per 25 XP (or 1k MC per 25k XP.) Usually pretty good.

-Paint and schemes: If you're in a unit that has a particular scheme, they might want you to show unit pride by buying that scheme. Otherwise, it's fun. The try-before-you-buy is especially handy. The only fault is that sales aren't indicated. You'd have to know (for example, the tealish "cyan" Sininen right now) that a particular colour is on sale. Cosmetic.

-Cockpit swag: As long as you're careful with hanging items (which can disrupt your vision in first-person view,) these are just fun things that are sadly underused, because each instance of an item can only be mounted in one 'Mech at a time and it's a pain to find and shuffle them. Cosmetic.

-Hero 'Mechs: It's strongly suggested that you try the standard variants first, and carefully consider whether the Hero is a good fit for you.

---If you hate Stalkers, no amount of "get Misery, it's awesome" will ever be useful advice.
---If you like Jenners, but aren't totally comfortable with pure missile usage, Oxide will do you no favours.
---If you're a fan of Aleksandr Kerensky or Theodore Kurita, you might consider Protector as it's the same 'Mech both used; but if (like me) it turns out that you fail at Orion, Protector won't be such a good fit after all.

But if you find one and decide it's for you after all, run with it.

-Champion 'Mechs: They're just tweaked standard variants with an experience bonus. You can do better with the MC.

-Standard (c-bill 'Mechs): One caveat that you have to be VERY careful about is that the purchasing system will detect whether you have enough MC to buy one of these 'Mechs - and then open an options window that defaults to you spending the MC.

-C-bills: You aren't that desperate. :D

-Mastery Packs: With the same caveat as the hero (make sure the chassis is right for you before running it,) these are a surprisingly good deal. There are currently four: Firestarter, Centurion, Cataphract, and Stalker.

Each contains one standard, one champion, one hero, and 30 days premium time; this is certainly cheaper than getting the hero, champion and time (and for the Firestarter and Stalker, cheaper than getting the hero and time.

-Starter Packs: Not quite as good: you only get a champion and 30 days, plus a few items of cockpit swag; available in Jenner, Firestarter, Catapult, and Atlas (that is, the first four 'Mechs put into the game.) It's cheaper than buying all of these things line-item, but yeah.

Hope this rundown helps a bit. :o

#37 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 August 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Prunus
Sinenen
Pleione

I think those are Pokemon. Or the name of alien characters in Star Wars. Or the latest celebrity baby names. Or flesh-eating diseases.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 16 August 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#38 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 16 August 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

I think those are Pokemon. Or the name of alien characters in Star Wars. Or the latest celebrity baby names. Or flesh-eating diseases.

Actually:
Pleione = a genus of orchids. Also, in Greek myth, the wife of Atlas and by him the mother of the Pleiades and Hyades; also, the star 28 Tauri, in the Pleiades cluster in Taurus.

Prunus = the genus name for plum trees (along with several other similar fruit trees, including cherry and apricot.)

Sininen (proper and in-game spelling) is the Finnish word for blue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users