Should I Buy The Atlas D?

33 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I already own the DDC, and the K... I was really thinking about getting the boards head for my last one. But being short on cash, and really never playing the atlas's i own as of yet, i have just not gotton it.. But this sale it seems like a perfect time to get it.. I just wonder if it is going to be to much like the K i already own.. and thus, never use it.. Should i hold off and just wait for the boars head? (not a big deal, i got lots to play anyway)

Or should i get the dragon i want (own the 5n), Or another cicada (own the 3M) both are on the list to get 3 to master.

My other thoughts are i do have a misery, But i really want the 5S, but that is not on sale, And the other, i was thinking the F, But the champion has the XL-310 which i would like to use in a thunderbolt built, so i could just delay that till later.. But the 3H is calling me.. it sorta reminds me of the catapult, but just more firepower.

SOooo people, what do i do with this fresh new bay, and what do i blow my money on.. (though need to grind a little more cash for a few.. spent to much upgrading mechs last night :(

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Yes if you like the Atlas in general. The D or the RS are a nice third with unique builds.

#3 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Honestly? The D-DC is gonna be a better performer than your Boar's Head. I enjoy mine (ALL THE LASERS)...but I don't pilot it that often, simply due to the enormous advantage the D-DC ecm brings to my team. And it brawl's fantastically. Get SOME third atlas, though. Those elited out skills doubling your basic skills? HUGE DIFFERENCE IN HANDLING!

The D is a decent choice to round out, and much cheaper for C-Bills (and qualifies for this weekend's tournament). If you wanna spend money on an IS hero assault, nab a Misery or a Dragonslayer. The Boar's Head runs either pretty got...or runs builds you could do just as well on an RS if it's NOT too hot.

I

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Personally after closed beta's final reset, I used exclusively the Atlas D with basics for a long, long, long, looooooooooooong time.

It's great.
This was the last video shot with it at pure basics.

Lordred (the camera man) didn't record his voice and the others in the teamspeak are in a completely different match, so it's just my Atlas and a Commando working together and the Commando's just trying to film my joke build.

I currently own every Atlas EXCEPT the D-DC. Though that'll change soon enough.

#5 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 August 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

Personally after closed beta's final reset, I used exclusively the Atlas D with basics for a long, long, long, looooooooooooong time.

It's great.
This was the last video shot with it at pure basics.

Lordred (the camera man) didn't record his voice and the others in the teamspeak are in a completely different match, so it's just my Atlas and a Commando working together and the Commando's just trying to film my joke build.

I currently own every Atlas EXCEPT the D-DC. Though that'll change soon enough.

Koniving...you don't own EVERY atlas? I don't care which one...I just died a little inside :( Also, the graphic fidelity on your Founders makes me want the 2k back. So much sadness.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 15 August 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 15 August 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Koniving...you don't own EVERY atlas? I don't care which one...I just died a little inside :rolleyes: Also, the graphic fidelity on your Founders makes me want the 2k back. So much sadness.

I miss the 2k textures too.
Getting the D-DC soon enough, but honestly I like the Banshees more. I have them all.
They have 6 digits on each hand! 6! 5 fingers and a thumb. And they are so much more win than Dire Wolves.

#7 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

My advice: save your money on atlases. Get a griffin (if you like srms) or a shadowhawk (if you like ballistics and ppc). They'll teach you much more of the game and let you have more fun. Then you can figure out if you want to ton up or go lighter and fastwr. (And by that time the clan mechs will be out for mc and cbills).

As it stands in the game, only masochists should take atlases as a newbie pilot.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

You're too late, though. Better to get the third so that his D-DC or whatever doesn't drive like a boat anchor.

I also recommend people start with a medium or a heavy - though with the way Mediums are right now, I'd probably have them start in a Thunderbolt or something. I'd have to think.

#9 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

JC,

I snagged 3 Atlas during the "First 4" sale about 2 months ago. I bought the D, K, and DDC. Since you already own the DDC and K, having the D will allow you to elite the other 2 chassis. If you're not interested in unlocking Elite skills, then I wouldn't bother. The only reason I bought 3 was they were on sale 50% off. So I can sell 1 or 2 after I get to Elite on them and not loose much c-bill.

I have no opinion on the other chassis you mention. No experience with Dragons, Cicadas, or Stalkers.

Jody

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 15 August 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

If you're going to buy any 'Mech, but especially an assault 'mech, you ALWAYS want to buy three and get your chosen chassis Mastered. If you already have another chassis in that weight class, you can sell them back once you get them Elited, but you need the doubled masteries to be competitive within your skill level.

#11 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 15 August 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

You're too late, though. Better to get the third so that his D-DC or whatever doesn't drive like a boat anchor.

I also recommend people start with a medium or a heavy - though with the way Mediums are right now, I'd probably have them start in a Thunderbolt or something. I'd have to think.

VA, mediums are good again. Latest competitive matches prove it. Shadowhawks have always been pretty nice but the Griffin has really shaped up nicely now that SRMs are mostly fixed.

In fact I'm strongly considering buying one. First though I have to pay my CW c-bills. :rolleyes:

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

*edit, sorry guys i should of been more clear at first.. this is more about using the sale, and my new bay, on mechs i have little experience in.. I plan to get 3 eventually and level them.. I am working on wolverines now, and my Ravens next.. So i do understand about getting 3 to elite ext.. But thanks for the extra understanding anyway,, i'm sure it will help someone

I have 3 sets of heavies and 2 sets of mediums to master.. the reason why i posted this hear is because i am new to the assaults, and never played the cicada's.. Basically i have a bunch of mechs i bought for the engines, and never got to play um so with the sale, i am trying to get a good deal on a mech i plan on getting to master one day. :rolleyes:

But now i am wondering... I always see people say.. atlas need a 320, or a 340 STD.. (which i don't own yet, which kinda has left the mechs parked) So maybe i should pick on of those too.

Basically this sale will let me get one for about 5m Cbills, and i can park it in my new bay.. I am just having a hard time seeing what the D has over the K, outside of that one energy point, which in the builds i have messed around with doesn't help all that much.. So i don't really mind waiting for a sale and waiting on the boars head to get to master.. the way i look at it, i think if i do like atlas's ill like that one.. But i supose nothing wrong with spending the c-bills instead of wasting MC if after getting to elite i hate them right?

it's just that the D looks so much like the K, and in this day of LRM's the extra AMS is nice right?

On the other side, that one stalker does seem appealing... the H, i guess like a Fat Cat so to speak, but the torso twist seams a little limited... But i could see myself getting it and possibly liking it.

The cicada 3C is another i think i would really like, the 4 ballistics is nice.. and it is only 2m on sale, which would leave me enough money to pick up that STD engine for my assaults... Though not sure which one i should grab.. But like i said,, with the sale, the savings on buying an atlas, or stalker is really a big savings.. around 3m C-bills.. It would be like getting a free engine in the end..

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 August 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#13 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 15 August 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I have no opinion on the other chassis you mention. No experience with Dragons, Cicadas, or Stalkers.

I also wouldn't bother Dragons and the Stalkers. The Dragon especially. Never met one that was a credible threat. Mostly they are targets of PPC fire and ridicule. Right now, it's just bad. The Cicadas are nice if you want to try playing like a light but in a slightly heavier chassis. If you really like it, you might consider going into one of the ECM equipped lights.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Eh, I've been having difficulty getting them to work consistently in PuG matches, but that could be due to a number of factors - notably I was having trouble getting people to actually fight anyone so I could support them, but stuff has been changing with the Clan Invasion, so I'll keep checking them out.

My main thought on the matter was that while I can play Mediums, I'm not new, and if you're going to be forced into a hide and snipe playstile, you might as well go Heavy. =)

#15 Entail

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Just ask yourself, do you want the D?

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

He doesn't know; that's why he's asking us.

#17 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 August 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

it's just that the D looks so much like the K, and in this day of LRM's the extra AMS is nice right?

2 missile hardpoints vs 1 means the K is useless for LRMs or SRMs while the D can take a useful amount. 4xML+AC20+2xLRM15/ASRM6 is quite nice, and different from typical K builds (which are missile-free).

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

But now i am wondering... I always see people say.. atlas need a 320, or a 340 STD.. (which i don't own yet, which kinda has left the mechs parked) So maybe i should pick on of those too.

I ran the 300 they came with up through all the elite skills on my 3. (own a 4th, but haven't done anything but strip it for parts)

I have been running mine with a STD340 from my Battlemasters for the extra speed, but I am finding the loss of firepower hurts.
(though the extra twist-speed makes up for it.... sometimes)

I would run them with the 300 for a bit, then if you find that to painful, then put something bigger in.

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

heh.. i should of just said this first... long story really short.. I learned to play on a trail Dragon 1 gauss, 2LL's and fell in love with the game.. (mech 3-4, Mech commander 1-2 vet) After buying the Dragon 5N, buying an XL engine, and upgrading it i parked it due to the advice of many including knoving saying, Play a medium to learn the game. So i bought 3 HBK's and loved um. But then i got tired of dying and bought an atlas, and thought it was slow as a turtle, and parked it and then i thought catapults!

Being an old Mech vet it was something close to my heart But then all hell broke loose with buffs and nerfs and SRM's were broke and Lack of XL engines i parked um as 12 man teams hit, my comp couldnt run the game so i took a break for 5 months till it was better optimized. I returned and and bought 3 Cataphracts the the Ilya and loved um all. But then i thought how about ravens! I used my earnings and bought 3, but with No XL engines for the other 2 as the 280 didn't fit, and slow raven = dead raven i took a break when the free thunder bolt came which i loved so i parked the ravens and played the 3 bolts. During this time i also picked up a Cent for an XL-300 to stuff in my Bolts, and to go with my free cent which i still have not played. By the time i was done with that, missiles were fixed, and i resumed playing my Cat's and bought a 4th, the jester on a whim.. And over the grind i just talked about which has gone from last november till now, i also picked up another atlas on sale, (the K for 50% off) and a cicada for the XL-320, and a Jager for the XL-260.. (none of which i have played)

Lastly, a 50% of sale had me buy a misery just because i liked the idea of Ac-20+SRMS and lasers and after being killed by them so many times i wanted to be on the other end... Which leads me up to now... A bunch of mechs i never played.. But will soonish... Now i have all my engines i needed/wanted and a full garage and no MC left for more :rolleyes:

SO as you can see i have played a bunch, and like to pop around, and pick up stuff on a whim often... but to me mechs are like women and buying shoes... So tough a choice and you can't just own a few pair!!

So brings me back to my original Q... After looking at smurfy again, i do notice the K has 1 ballistics slots, and 10 missile, where the D has 2 and 10x6 which is a lot like the DDC.. But the D also has those 2 laser slots in the Zombie slot,,which would be nice for mediums or pulse, or one Larger laser.. Perhaps a zombie LP would be cool? So maybe that is what the D has over the DDC? the Zombie mode?

Lastly, like i said, that Impulse misery buy, has me needing 2 more, and the one with the XL-255 is not on sale, and the campion that has the XL315 needs MC so that is a down the road build, so wouldn't want the normal F if i am going to get that.. So the H makes me go... Not a bad idea to spend the cash..

But now... after your guys advice, and relooking at the D, maybe that is the way to go... and if i really love the atlas's down the road the boars head will be a good addition right?

Boy i am long winded today... See what mech sales and a free Bay do to this guy???? I was much better off with No MC and no bay... :rolleyes: wait i take that back.... More bays please!

#20 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

On the other side, that one stalker does seem appealing... the H, i guess like a Fat Cat so to speak, but the torso twist seams a little limited... But i could see myself getting it and possibly liking it.

I've got Misery, the 5S and a 3H and I love ervery single one of them. If you want some more twisting, I reccomend getting the 3F first. It can do the same things as the 5S but instead of the second AMS, it's got some more twist range. They also have the best overall hardpoint layout. The 3H has the ability to throw a lot of missiles around and is the only Stalker with 20 tubes for its arm launchers (all other have 10). 5M is a bit more close range as it has one more 6 tube launcher in its STs. 4N is like the 5S and 3F but lacks a missile hardpoint in the arms. Currently it only really exists for stock matches unfortunately.

Stalkers are durable multirange fire support 'Mechs and thus rather forgiving when it comes to Assaults. They lack ballistic weapons when you disragard the Misery, so they do run fairly hot though. Keep to the second line for the early parts of the game and take a protector role for the front. But you are still running an Assault, so it is imporant to know when to take the lead and push the front line.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 15 August 2014 - 02:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users