• 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostNgamok, on 06 September 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

WVR-6R

What I run in mine.

Think I've already mentioned it in this thread, but that's pretty close to what I run. I have a ton less AC10 ammo, no AMS, 2 more jets, and a 300XL. I could easily see the sacrifice of speed and mobility for AMS and a few more shots with the AC being about an even trade in the solo queue.

#23 Canadian Attack Beaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostTahribator, on 16 August 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

I've been using this one with a lot of success. It hits really hard, has the perfect reload time so you can twist between each salvo, it has the speed and survivability. The only downside is that it's very ammo dependent, but you should be pulling 1000+ damage matches if you're running out of ammo anyway.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bffeb14548043f

This is almost exactly what I use as well.

#24 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

I am really interested in getting some Wolverines, but I mainly pilot Centurions nowadays (can't be bothered to wait in the queue for heavies and assaults) and since people here seem to know the Wolvies, I have some questions.

First off, just by looking at the hardpoints, it looks like a Cent with 5 extra tones and jjs (except one version). If I already have some cents, is there any point in getting some wolvies? Do they handle the same, or is there any big difference in play style? Do they lose ST often or are they XL friendly?

To me they look pretty ok on paper (about on par with the Cents). But looking at the tier list, Wolvies seem to be squarely ranked below even the rather gimped Centurions? How come? I wanted to try a 6K with an XL370 (which I have in storage but nowhere to put to use), but that one has the dubious honour of being one of only four mediums in the Tier 5 category, that means they are complete garbage (I know from having owned the TDR-9S and CPLT-C4).

Does it get it's right arm blown off all the time or what? I like that it can run and fire straight backwards (which I miss in my CN9-D with an XL360), so how can it be so bad? Is the shield arm no good for shielding? Bad height on the hard points like the Nova who has its arms almost at ground level?

What makes it so bad, and what makes Wolvies in general so bad?

Edited by totgeboren, 02 October 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#25 Akuma

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:39 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock in a list of tiers and mechs. The Wolverine isn't so hot at the current pinpoint alpha meta, and it's lackluster as an all-rounder. However, it shines in certain roles - it's not a typical 'do a little of everything' medium, its got a specific purpose. Take a look at my build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e64521342ced1b

This is what the WVR does best. Load it up with ASRM6, make it quick, and play hide and seek for the first few minutes of the match. You do not want to get stuck in straightaway; thats a death sentence. Once everyone is nice and beat up, though, is when you come alive - you find a wounded mech with open locations and you unleash the beast. 18 SRMs do significant damage, Artemis keeps them grouped tight, and the lasers supplement your damage. You can shred rear armor if you can get it. Any time you can hit with those SRMs,you are going to do serious damage to internals. I think the WVR's poor reputation comes from trying to run it with a more traditional loadout - a big ballistic or energy weapon in the arm, some missiles for backup, try to be a support mech and skirmish up on the front lines. Thats a bad way to play this mech, it can do so much more than that. I've run a fast CN9 and the WVR is better all around IMO. This mech is a lot of fun to play!

The 6K is garbage tbh. You lose that arm (and everyone knows to shoot the right arm) and there goes your firepower. I used mine as a LRM boat while grinding basics and sold it asafp. The 6R is similar to this but Ive got a UAC5 in the arm for a bit of range and just to unload on someone during a hit n run. However, this 7K is a beast. I use a Radar Deprivation mod and keep moving - once I latch onto a damaged mech, its usually lights out. Just gotta keep moving and use your speed to keep pressure on a damaged target.

Please keep in mind you can't punch through armor very well, you're fast but not so fast you can dodge shots, and you are somewhat ammo dependent. This isn't an all around badass that youre going to get 1K+ damage in all the time, you're playing a specific role and you're good at it. Don't try to take on a TBR head to head, you'll lose. However, you can chase off lights or kill them if you land the SRM cluster, and if you can manage to sneak up behind someone its all over for them. God help any mech you catch with an open torso - you're a finisher, and if you can avoid being killed by fresh mechs early on you'll be an unholy terror late in the match.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:19 AM

Cool, thanks for the help. Funny thing, the build you posted is basically the same as the classic CN9-A zombie SRM shooter, the one CN9 build that managed to make it to Tier 3, but with one extra medlas, ams and one more ton of ammo for the SRM, but using an xl. About the same speed too.

I have been very successful with that one (the CN9), but it feels like I'm just buying the same mech one more time.

Do you find it xl friendly? I like fast mechs, so xl really appeals to me, but the Cent definitely isn't optimal for the XL.

#27 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:43 AM

View Posttotgeboren, on 02 October 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

First off, just by looking at the hardpoints, it looks like a Cent with 5 extra tones and jjs (except one version). If I already have some cents, is there any point in getting some wolvies? Do they handle the same, or is there any big difference in play style? Do they lose ST often or are they XL friendly?

The 6R and 7K are a LOT like the CN9s. Generally faster and with jump jets. If you lose arms you don't have the massive arm stumps to lessen damage for you like the Cent does, but you trade that for better mobility. The downside of the Wolverines is really the 6K, the thing is kind of a lemon.

#28 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

View PostKitane, on 23 August 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

And the crazy one with 3 ASRM6(5t), 2 MGs(1t), ML and rest into JJs and speed.

This is very similar to what I run. I also agree that it is crazy, crazy good. I just tried it on a whim one day and really liked it. Stick with the Heavy and Assaults, get close and just crit the heck out of the bad guys! It's a lot of fun to play and can dish out some damage while being fast and mobile.

Here is my build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7703f8aa57ff667
I have also tried this with a 320XL instead and 5JJ. I also tried it with ML instead of the MPL to get to 5JJ (keeping the 330XL). I have also tried both running with 7JJ. Didn't really notice much of a difference between 5 and 7 JJ, but that is probably because of how I play. Usually just used them for quick turns and maneuvering over terrain.

#29 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostAkuma, on 02 October 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

The 6K is garbage tbh. You lose that arm (and everyone knows to shoot the right arm) and there goes your firepower.

I agree somewhat, but I actually enjoyed playing the 6K. It was so fast it made it quite fun. I shielded the crap out of my right arm though. Keeping that arm is key.
Here is my build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f70d0bc8fbe35ea

It was very expensive, but I think if you want to use this mech you have to be willing to dump a bunch of CBills into it. At the time I did not have the 375XL engine, which was very expensive especially after buying all the upgrades. Luckily I have found other uses for that engine in some of my Victor builds.

#30 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

I think to make the Wolvie really shine you have to focus on SRM's and hit and run tactics. Keep moving and torso twisting and it will tank a crazy amount of damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users