"take Control" Command

7 replies to this topic

#1 Predyz

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Now that rejoin feature is working, most of us are still experiencing lots of disconnecting and not returning players.

Could be possibile to add a feature where when you die , getting in the cockpit of the disconnected mech, you can take control of it?

Disconnected player will lose rejoin possibility and no additional points will be given to the player wich takes control of the second mech... but at least a team will not have a standing statue on the ground ready to be leeched.

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Greetings,

I think the actual Mech is 'linked' to that players account, so operating it may be or have issues.

- If anything, after a set amount of time, with no player movement of that Mech, it should be 'neutralized' or disabled as a target. And that would also stop the 'search the entire map' for that 1 last 'unoccupied' Mech.

9erRed

#3 Predyz

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

That's why i said that no c-bills/bonus will be awarded. Cause accounts will not be counted in.

It's just a "take control" situation limited in the match happenigs,should be easy to script just as spectating mode is.

After all,in the original game, a downed MechWarrior still able to fight had the possibility to look for an empty mech and activate it (and when there is a disconnect, his mech is stated as "No Pilot").

#4 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Greetings,

Not sure what your talking about in the "finding an empty Mech to activate", but none of the past MW titles had any element of 'commandeering' any other Mech,
(there was that one mission where the pilot had to steal a ghost bear Kodiak prototype. But 'Prototype' being the key word there, and that mission was set up 'from the inside' so your character could operate it.)

But from the Tech and Lore information, each Mech's neurohelmet was tuned to it's Pilot brain pattern, as well as the Pilots keyed in security locks during the 'turn on sequence'.
- Mech's were designed to not be stolen or commandeered by non authorized people.
- the helmet could fry the brain of any person not authorized to operate it as part of the security system.

Considering that in this verse, Mech's spent most of there time parked or in maintenance, security was a big deal.
- The Lore states that the Clan's updated there systems to either very light weight neuro-helmets or physically had implants that functioned the same.
- During a Mech battle, any Pilot leaving there functional Mech might as well consider it suicide. Pilots outfits were not designed to provide very much protection outside the cockpit.

9erRed

#5 Predyz

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'm not talking about previous videogame titles, you can't follow them.

Talking about the RPG lore: mechs could be eventually hacked to suit in a new pilot.
Same lances also, could share the same access key to share equipments between friendly mechwarriors.

You can look in all the lore you want, but trust me, when you play a real RPG, the game master can complete any lore as well as he likes. Just like PGI is doing recalibrating Clan Mechs and weapons.

By the way:
- For pilots' safety there are some equipment suited to let them survive on hostile planets upon leaving their mechs (exoskeletons, battle armors)
- We are not talking about leaving a mech in battle and considering it a suicide. We are talking about a functionality to improve some gameplay issues in this game, and anyway situations in which a mech is DOWNED and a pilot leaves the smoking cockpit to get in a friendly equipment and get back in action. If you are looking realism and/or lore informations about that, then consider the fact your pilot never dies when your mech explodes... should be a bigger problem...
- We are not talking about leaving a mech

#6 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Lore wise, this wouldn't work as 9erRed stated. I remember reading somewhere it could take upwards of weeks in order to reprogram BattleMechs to suit new pilots.

Gameplay wise, this would be more complicated than you think. Remember each account has unique XP, levels, upgrades, etc etc. I don't think it'd be that easy to transfer your bonuses to their bonuses just for that single 'Mech.

Also, don't bring RPG into this. MWO is anything but an RPG, and certainly doesn't follow what made BTTT a good RPG either. It's a shoot em up with MechWarrior mechanics.

#7 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

View Post9erRed, on 17 August 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Greetings,

Not sure what your talking about in the "finding an empty Mech to activate", but none of the past MW titles had any element of 'commandeering' any other Mech,
(there was that one mission where the pilot had to steal a ghost bear Kodiak prototype. But 'Prototype' being the key word there, and that mission was set up 'from the inside' so your character could operate it.)

But from the Tech and Lore information, each Mech's neurohelmet was tuned to it's Pilot brain pattern, as well as the Pilots keyed in security locks during the 'turn on sequence'.
- Mech's were designed to not be stolen or commandeered by non authorized people.
- the helmet could fry the brain of any person not authorized to operate it as part of the security system.

Considering that in this verse, Mech's spent most of there time parked or in maintenance, security was a big deal.
- The Lore states that the Clan's updated there systems to either very light weight neuro-helmets or physically had implants that functioned the same.
- During a Mech battle, any Pilot leaving there functional Mech might as well consider it suicide. Pilots outfits were not designed to provide very much protection outside the cockpit.

9erRed

well yes and no, if you go back far enough there actually is precedent in an older battletech title (crescent hawks inception). in cannon you could use any neurohelmet, but if you didn't tune it wouldn't work its best, cause headaches, nosebleeds and brain damage, in the novel sword and dagger that was specificly how hanse davion proved he was not the imposter, by being able to use the full capabilities of his battlemech without fine tuning the neurohelmet. When you eject from your mech you are still wearing your neurohelmet (the interface connects to the chair by the way along with the leads to the cooling vest) so there is no real reason you couldn't just use your own in someone elses mech. most mechs are equipped with rather simple security features (as in easy to defeat) to prevent theft (never seemed to help when someone tried just slowed them down a bit) (same unit battlemechs were often equipped with universal passcodes so that anyone in the unit could use the mech in a pinch). so yes and no as I said. as far as functionality well that is simple you use whatever the loadout of the mech is, no modules no licky or chewys as far as skill trees either just consider it like a trial mech that you have not bought to spend xp on also it releases the mech for use by the owner, simple really and I do see the point of it, it really sucks when you are 2-3 heavy or assaults down because of DCs it can make a huge difference in games (not so much with the single DC tho)

Edited by Shrike ski, 17 August 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#8 Predyz

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

Gameplay wise, this would be more complicated than you think. Remember each account has unique XP, levels, upgrades, etc etc. I don't think it'd be that easy to transfer your bonuses to their bonuses just for that single 'Mech.

Well, no. I already told twice (seems like some of you just don't want to read all ;) ) that the controlled mech would be absolutely in basic mode, no bonus, no xp, no account linking. It's just a mere emergency controlling situation. Don't need to think about account and everything else.

Also, don't bring RPG into this

I didn't, but if i make a proposition for THIS game, it's annoying that everytime someone must bring in lore from Internet while knowing very few things on how the very original game was.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users