I Am Not Going To Roll Over And Die Just Because You Wanna Play Your Mech.

75 replies to this topic

#21 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

Just happened again. I'm the last one alive, they are all bitching cause i am in the mountains on alpine peaks. 7 minutes left in the game.
"Just die"
"Must you waste our time"
"You aren't going to kill anything"
"Your [redacted]"
"Remind me to [redacted] the next time I drop with him"
"Why does [redacted] in a light always have to ruin the game"

End of the game, I am alive, 3 kills 680 damage, next highest was one of the bitching dwf's with 280 damage and no kills. So yes i wasted your time, but your time isn't apparently very valuable since you can't pilot or shoot. Hell If I had more time I would have killed them all!

View PostStickjock, on 17 August 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I've tried to get in the habit now when running my Kitfoxes of STAYING with the Assaults and Heavies, providing that ECM coverage while they do their thing... used to just run off and "scout"... I know I know... lol... but have had some great runs giving that ECM bubble and staying with the big boys...

Every time I do this I end up getting blown to crap by FF even before engaging the enemy.

Edited by Egomane, 19 August 2014 - 09:58 PM.
language

#22 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think the problems of pro-gamer corpses spewing out a barrage of caps loc insults will dramatically drop shortly. I just hope they change their drawers between each venting as that could get pretty messy otherwise.

Pro Tip: If you are dead and have an issue. No one cares.

#23 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 18 August 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Just happened again. I'm the last one alive, they are all bitching cause i am in the mountains on alpine peaks. 7 minutes left in the game.
"Just die"
"Must you waste our time"
"You aren't going to kill anything"
"Your [redacted]"
"Remind me to [redacted] the next time I drop with him"
"Why does [redacted] in a light always have to ruin the game"

End of the game, I am alive, 3 kills 680 damage, next highest was one of the bitching dwf's with 280 damage and no kills. So yes i wasted your time, but your time isn't apparently very valuable since you can't pilot or shoot. Hell If I had more time I would have killed them all!

Every time I do this I end up getting blown to crap by FF even before engaging the enemy.

So you are one of those ECM lights who run off from the group and snipe the enemy with a couple of ER Large Lasers. Anyone can do that and get decent damage and a couple of kills. It's an extremely selfish way to play. You would be much more helpful to your team if you provided ECM coverage.

Edited by Egomane, 19 August 2014 - 09:58 PM.
quote cleanup

#24 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 18 August 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

So you are one of those ECM lights who run off from the group and snipe the enemy with a couple of ER Large Lasers. Anyone can do that and get decent damage and a couple of kills. It's an extremely selfish way to play. You would be much more helpful to your team if you provided ECM coverage.

Selective quoting for the loss (or maybe you just don't read an entire post before commenting and you also made the logical error of argumentum ad hominem)

View Postnehebkau, on 18 August 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

So yes, I do go off and attack the enemy from the opposite side my team is attacking them from. My ultimate goal is to be as big a pain in the arse as I can and to get several of their mechs to chase me. And no, I don't like to charge in with a bunch of window-lickers and get blown to crap within the first 2 minutes.

And I expect you are one of those solo queue people who cry when they die in two minutes because they didn't have ECM cover... you know that "we died because you went off on your own and we didn't have ecm." OMG! What would you do if you dropped w/o any ECM mechs to make up for your failures? I bet you are also one of those players who threaten to shoot other friendlies if they stop in front of you or leg a light if you drop with them again because they continue to fight on after the team is dead.

I usually respond : "If you didn't stop in the open, on flat ground you wouldn't have gotten smashed by 300 LRMs."

Edited by nehebkau, 18 August 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#25 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 17 August 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

You took advantage of the enemy team's distraction while they were shooting him, though, right?

Seriously, I'll own it if I get myself killed, but it drives me nuts when I draw off half the enemy team and nobody uses that time to do anything.

Honestly, I do not even remember how or where he died.

I have drawn enemies away, if I die from that, I usually try to chat it after death so people know.

#26 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

When I run ECM mechs I stick with my team to provide cover.

#27 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 18 August 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

When I run ECM mechs I stick with my team to provide cover.

\
BTW Nice thread hijack.

#28 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 18 August 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

I have that exact Raven build, and I do that exact same thing.
Despite when some people may think, shooting the enemy in the back with a Raven and harassing the flanks is extremely valuable to the team. If anyone can do it and get a couple of kills, then a lance of Ravens running off would guarantee 8 kills and a victory right? There have been a number of matches where I take my sweet ass time and finish off the last 4 or 5 guys on the enemy team doing this, and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

If you need ECM so badly because you can't stay in cover and out of the rain, then bring your own and stop blaming other people for your own short-comings.

#29 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

^^ I couldn't have said it any better!

Still It seems that I'm getting it every 3rd or 4th match, some knob who thinks I'm wasting his/her time if I don't play it their way (The leroy Jenkins school of MWO).

Edited by nehebkau, 19 August 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#30 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 16 August 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

I am sorry that you died in the first 2 minutes. I'm sorry that the whole team wiped going into the caldera and then stopped to lick their windows clean. I'm sorry you are so attached to that particular mech that you only play it. I am not sorry when you get all mad and QQ just because I won't charge the enemy team when I am the only one left so you can play your mech. I will hide and snipe and pick off the damaged mechs on the other team until time runs out, I'm killed or I kill them all.

When you complain about how much of an a**hole I am for keeping your from your mec, you are just making me try all the harder to survive. When you threaten to have me banned for hiding in a caldera until the pristine direwolf trundles off so I can go back to hunting the damaged catapult behind it-- i say go for it!

Perhaps if you learned that charging headlong into the enemy isn't the way to victory and that strategy led to your 2 minute life-span you would not have to rage about 'wasting your time'.

Match to match...

If you're still up and fighting then no biggie. If you're hiding because we're up on caps and about to win, that's sound strategy.

Players must learn to 'read the play' at some point. If everyone is charging but you're sitting in the back because you feel that charging is a bad strategy, then yes, you are now the problem. It is always better to work a bad plan as a team, then a good plan alone. But if a few idiots overextend and get focused down, it's no longer your responsibility. Telling the difference between a team push and a stupid overextend is part of reading the play.

#31 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

window

licker

(I just wanted to say it. :P )

I can feel you.
Memorable one for me was conquest on Frozen; We gots us an bona-fide PuG general blasting orders over chat, (hey, props for attempting to herd the cats, yo...)
Honestly, I make a fair stab at following orders when someone deigns to attempt to give them because it's a thankless, judgement ridden place to be... but the very first thing our fearless leader said was [click] {so-an-so has taken company command} "I am your commander." "Treat me as such"
which for me was a whole big bag of "nooooooope"
Patton heroically led the charge. Not sure what exactly happened. (I wasn't there).
They all died.
All eleven of my teamates
in three minutes.

I was all like: "Wow... I ain't even mad!.. I'm impressed!"

Patton was all: "We could have WON THAT if our STUPID LIGHT had joined the fight."
I was off capping points... in my Spider.... 5V

three minutes, why did I abandon them? Why?

#32 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

May I remind you all about our rules?
Bad language, name and shame, griefing. I found all that in this thread and removed it.

#33 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

View PostEgomane, on 19 August 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

May I remind you all about our rules?
Bad language, name and shame, griefing.

Hang on a sec Ego, this thread relates to all of this that happens during live in game chat. In the context of this particular subject, you should not be moderating any of this thread.

#34 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 19 August 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Hang on a sec Ego, this thread relates to all of this that happens during live in game chat. In the context of this particular subject, you should not be moderating any of this thread.

Yes, I should! A rule violation remains a rule violation, even if it is "just quoted" or "discussed".

Discussing rule violations is a form of advertising them, so there is a fine line to walk. If you step over the line, I'll interfere. If I have to, I even close the thread and hand out warnings and timeouts as needed.

#35 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I am one of those guys who usually get pissed at those last-man-standing lights. You guys maybe didn't derserve it and if there is a chance to win, just go for it and I won't be mad at you at all.

Scenario: You and your shiny healthy raven with ER LLs and that half-dead Atlas and his two low-on-ammo-Catapult-company next to him - just go for it and I'll cheer you.

But more then often there is someone's Spider blasted to crumbs with 1 M-Laser left vs. the enemies 6 properly functioning Mechs. And of course he can't do anything, so he doesn't try. There are no bases to cap, because we are in the wrong game-mode. So he has nothing to win and nothing to loose except that one loss in his statistics. Yet he decides for running away as long as possible. And that pisses me off. Of course, he is allowed to do so and there is nothing I can do about, except that I probably will not become friends with this guy.

If there is a slight chance like in the cases you described, I do not see a problem. But often enough it simply is not like that and then it is just an annoying waste of time.

Edited by Brixx, 19 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#36 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

"Off-topic all the way: If you are interested in cars besides your mech fetish... maybe you will have some fun with my youtube channel and my gameplay videos of racing games: www.youtube.com/user/Brixxlnator"

Hey Brixx, have you ever raced online with Split Second? Very very under rated racing game for PC. Online, it's a blast. (pun intended)

On topic, your right, I have seen players kill 4 or so mechs in their light builds. And it is great to spectate. However I have had trash type.

This one time, I was in my boom jager and our team was 9 down.

Check the server logs with PGI to confirm Ego but this is some of what that was typed...

"Be a man and come out and die"
"Stop wasting my time, (Me) is a useless player"
"Oh go and kill yourself."

Rather then read that, I played my own game, and almost stole the victory with hit and run, power down tactics. I got 7 kills. The pic is in my 5 star pug game post.

Not every game is like that but if there was an option to not have All chat I would gladly welcome it.

Like the topic of this forum post , I will not roll over......period.

Edited by Dar1ng One, 20 August 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#37 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostEgomane, on 19 August 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Yes, I should! A rule violation remains a rule violation, even if it is "just quoted" or "discussed".

Discussing rule violations is a form of advertising them, so there is a fine line to walk. If you step over the line, I'll interfere. If I have to, I even close the thread and hand out warnings and timeouts as needed.

Just to be clear, anonymously quoting a player's in-game chat message where they are threatening to grief me is a violation? Upon reading I understand that using $$s or xxxx to hid characters in profanity is probably a violation of bypassing profanity filters rule (I have no issue there for the [redacted] and I'll remember that for next time), but I think it's important for people to know that a threat to purposely cripple my mec the next game was one of the items in chat. Or am I missing something -- I haven't finished my morning cup yet so that is a distinct possibility since I am seeing double and sometimes triple.

Maybe I should just get over it?

Still having players give away your position because they are raging is one of the most frustrating things. BTW has anyone else, (I've done this) purposely given the enemy completely wrong locations in a match when someone on your team is trying to give the right coordinates of where a team-mate is? Is that even allowed?

bad teammate> ' he's at b3 (or 2838, 2393, 292)
Me> 'liar! he's at f4 (or 3939, 1283, 199)'

Edited by nehebkau, 20 August 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#38 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostMerchant, on 17 August 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Well, I loved the Conquest game yesterday where some player started complaining the rest of us failed him because he died first.

Made all the better when we proceeded to win the match.

that sounds very familiar, or just so common it happened to us both. guy goes off and dies, score is 0-1, guy complains how we all suck and are going to lose the match. we win the match handily but he disconn3ected long before then.

i can also ass this bit of fun to the mix. on crimson, guy scouting calling off locations and discovers there's only 2 enemy mechs on the kappa side and we could sweep and flank them if we push. i'm on the epsi side of theta in one of the valleys. i see what he said, go all the way around the map to the kappa side since that will provide some brawler range attacks to rear armor of the enemy if we push. i see a couple of friendlies on one side, a few assaults/heavies around the corner slowly moving forward. i go past and join the "push"

my first hint should have been the fact that in the time it took me to get to that spot no push had happened but hey- i hate being left alone on a push and wanted to help the guy who actually was paying attention and saw weaknesses to exploit. i start moving forward- and start getting shot from three different directions because in the time it took me to get there five other enemy mechs got back as well. i do my sir robin impersonation and somehow make it back to where the assaults are cowering alive, while one of the assaults briefly peeks around the corner (and shoots me naturally). i end up dying a bit later and the guy who saw the initial openning (now also dead) commented, "ya know if you guys actually moved when i said to they wouldn;t have had time to get their whole team back to kill us." and we lost pretty badly.

and OT- i hate that last er ll spider/raven since i'm usually in a brawler and slower and it always seems to happen on the big maps where i can never catch the little runt...

#39 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 20 August 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

Just to be clear, anonymously quoting a player's in-game chat message where they are threatening to grief me is a violation? Upon reading I understand that using $$s or xxxx to hid characters in profanity is probably a violation of bypassing profanity filters rule (I have no issue there for the [redacted] and I'll remember that for next time), but I think it's important for people to know that a threat to purposely cripple my mec the next game was one of the items in chat. Or am I missing something -- I haven't finished my morning cup yet so that is a distinct possibility since I am seeing double and sometimes triple.

Don't discuss it, report it!

If you discuss it, you'll make it worse. Others will follow the example of the one violating the rules, as they just learned that they will be either ignored, or that they cause so much frustration in other players that they can actually bully them into performing rule violations. Both is not an acceptable lesson.

And yes, let the wordfilter do his work please!

#40 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 16 August 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

I am sorry that you died in the first 2 minutes. I'm sorry that the whole team wiped going into the caldera and then stopped to lick their windows clean. I'm sorry you are so attached to that particular mech that you only play it. I am not sorry when you get all mad and QQ just because I won't charge the enemy team when I am the only one left so you can play your mech. I will hide and snipe and pick off the damaged mechs on the other team until time runs out, I'm killed or I kill them all.

When you complain about how much of an a**hole I am for keeping your from your mec, you are just making me try all the harder to survive. When you threaten to have me banned for hiding in a caldera until the pristine direwolf trundles off so I can go back to hunting the damaged catapult behind it-- i say go for it!

Perhaps if you learned that charging headlong into the enemy isn't the way to victory and that strategy led to your 2 minute life-span you would not have to rage about 'wasting your time'.

Screenshot and report team treason violations to support@mwomercs.com.

If they claim that 'non-participation' = stupid play tell the dead to hush. You are not obligated to eat a gauss rifle round just because they got unlucky or just plain sucked.

I am that jerk that will hide even with a relatively undamaged mech against 11 others. Why? Because I don't need to feed the ego of some maladjusted twerp. I can't win the match, I probably won't kill a mech if I charge, so guess what? I'm going to make you sorry sacks earn your kill.

You don't want me in skirmish mode. I warn all my teammates if they want skirmish, I won't play it because I am the jerk who will ruin it by making a team wait while I power down in a good spot for 10 minutes if I have to. On the other hand, I have a chance to ambush damaged mechs? Sure... I'll do that if I can kill them and get away. I'll fight them if they find me. But that's why I don't play skirmish. You stomped us 11-2? Fine. Go cap base. Can't do it because it's skirmish mode? Who was dumb enough to demand this mode? Oh right. I'd warned people back then this was going to be a problem. But at least I make a concerted effort to stay out of that sandbox that fails from time to time beause I don't control where we're dropping in group.

Anyway. You are not violating 'non-participation' if you went in, played and are the sole survivor of a tactical fiasco of brawltardery and choose to hide. If they commit team treason, report them. They're bad teammates and bad players who deserve to get in trouble. Don't walk out of bounds, you get penalized, while they get what they want. Suicide if you want, but you're better off making them wait for it.

And remember, the dead have no honor, and dying foolishly is not glory.

View PostKay Wolf, on 16 August 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Eh... PUGs... gotta love their window-licking silliness, don't you?

Meh. seen it in group queues too.

Edited by Kjudoon, 21 August 2014 - 12:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users