Anyone Know How Ammo Use Works?

8 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

By this i mean, How does the game use ammo you have stored? Does it go by body part? location to weapon? use a bit from each? Trying to figure out the best way to avoid ammo explosions in one of my mechs which has been getting them, not often, but enough that i have noticed it. wonder if i can mitigate it some.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 07 July 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

Hey Siri,

Whether we get selectable ammo draw is up to design and their priorities for getting stuff into the game. I can't really answer for them. Ammo draw ordering is fixed for all mechs and independent of faction. It's presently: Center Torso -> Right Torso -> Left Torso -> Right Arm -> Left Arm-> Left Leg -> Right Leg -> Head. No exceptions are intended, so if the the draw ordering is any different from that it's a bug.

Cheers,
Omid

And of course you can also mitigate the risk with good usage of CASE if using a standard engine.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Omid would be a developer.

Timber Wolf exhibits a bug. It goes left torso first.

(After center torso. CT, left torso, right torso)

I'd personally like to select where I draw ammo from. It's an awesome little trait of tabletop, great for selectively drawing ammo or dumping it when the limb gets weakened; but ammo explodes super easily there.

#4 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Head goes last? I thought it went first? You learn something new every day I guess...

That being said, I have never died from an ammo explosion in the head, so it's a pretty safe place to store at least one ton if you need to. I did, however, have it get destroyed once when I took a dual Gauss to the face 30 seconds into a match on River City from a guy at the enemy spawn. Didn't kill me luckily, but it did destroy despite it not exploding. So it can happen, it would just be really rare...

#5 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 17 August 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Head goes last? I thought it went first? You learn something new every day I guess...

Its been head first since 2012 as far as I know. I'd get a second or third opinion from PGI just to be sure.

All the replies I've seen from devs that haven't been in blue command chair posts have had conflicting or wrong information in them.

#6 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

Posted Image

#7 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Gorantir – I thought the two images of the Mech were “as you are looking at them”. In otherwords, in the rear view the right arm of the Mech would be the one on the right as you look at it. On the front view, the Mech’s right arm would be on the left of the image as you look at it. That would make items 3 and 4 are back words from each other in one of the two images.

Doctor Proctor – I’m new to MWO and I never played the table top version, so I don’t know the importance of having an ammo order. I look at it this way. If a load an AC5 in the left arm of a Mech, That’s where I will also put most of it’s ammo. After all, why carry AC5 ammo in say the left torso with no weapon to fire it? You just carry it around and if it blows up, it could do damage to your CT where the engine is.

Just my two cents :)

Edited by Ayrmoon, 17 August 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#8 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Usually what I end up doing is loading ammo into my legs, then my center torso (if its vulnerable already from armor stripped off your going to be dead soon anyway), then instead of side torsos I'll throw the last of the ammo into the arms. If the mech has an AMS I'll throw AMS ammo in the head, otherwise I'll stick 1t of whatever I happen to need on the mech in there.

#9 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Cool, thanks!

I think i got my ammo problem fixed though.. Basically i pulled out my 1 ton of ammo from my right arm.. (shield arm) You would think i would of figured it out before,,, putting ammo in a weaponless arm you plan to shield with, probably not the best idea :lol:

Moved it, doing much better now..(darn Ammo dependent mechs.. trying to find places to put 7.5 tons in a medium is not easy)

Edited by JC Daxion, 19 August 2014 - 10:14 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users