- - - - -

Stable Footing

24 replies to this topic

#21 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

Just as a reminder!

There is no legal free online source for battletech novels. I removed the links provided in this thread for this reason. Those books are still under copyright. If you want them, you should buy them and support the authors and the franchise by doing so.

#22 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

Nice dropping with you last night, darkfireslide.

Ransom's Corsairs welcome you back any time. You did quite well in your GRF-3M.... even when leg-gimped and forced to retreat on canyon to protect that lead, while dodging 3 or 4 clanner weapons. lol

After seeing you handle the mix of terrains, piloting, firing and jumping... I'd say your next mech should definitely be the OTHER GRIFFINS. lol Seriously, eliting/mastering the chassis makes the GRF-3M a very versatile and effective mech.

If you're set on trying heavies right away, then go with the CTF-3D. Of any IS heavy, it'll provide the closest thing to the mobility of your GRF, and it's firepower rivals any JM6 build (excepting the AC40 build).

#23 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

View Postdarkfireslide, on 17 August 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

I joined MWO last night and am fairly unfamiliar with the Battletech universe. I have quite a few questions, which is why I didn't post this in the quick question area. I'll try to be concise nonetheless.

1. Where can I read more about the lore for this game? As well, what does it mean to be in a faction in this game, and how does one join one? Are they player-ran organizations or a game mechanic? I can't find this information anywhere and it would be extremely helpful to know. Also I know that there is a difference between inner circle and clan mechs, but I don't know what that difference is (if it's even a general difference).

As a touchstone for lore, start from here: http://mwomercs.com/...ore-start-here/

How exactly PGI is going to interface the lore with this game I'm not exactly sure; that would be something they're calling "community warfare" (CW for short), and it's not yet implemented. If you search the official developer subsections of the forums for that phrase you should get some info

2. Where is a good place to find detailed information/descriptions of mechs?

What follows isn't in-game information, but it IS somewhat along the lines of what you're asking for: http://mwomercs.com/...y-an-education/

That's all I can think of for now. Answers to these questions would be immensely helpful. I am really enjoying this game so far and would like to know more so that I can enjoy it more.

As you'll see from the links, MWO exists inside of a larger fictional lore that's been around for a long time, with novels, factions, politics, technology, etc. all giving it a greater context.

#24 eblackthorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Just realized how lacking the faction page is, hopefully it gets updated with CW looming

#25 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

View Postdarkfireslide, on 17 August 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

Thank you all. Your tips are extremely helpful. Now to decide on a heavy... a Dragon, a Cataphract, or a Jagermech..

The Catapult K-2 and A-1 are both actually really good Chassis as well, TBH; The K-2 still has a minor edge over the Jager with the arm mount lasers, which gives you better targeting against lights, as well as its ballistics being torso mounted; this gives you some stability.

The A-1 is just a missile boat, and 2 LRM-15, 4 SSRM-2 and a BAP usually makes for a bad day for anyone who gets in front of you.

Out of the ones you have listed though? 'phract. Three or Four AC-5's makes people unhappy with you. I like the Jager, but it's too small to really do that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users