11 replies to this topic

#1 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

My hunchback have 54 AP and AC20 + 4ML. It's total 40 damage at single point.
Timber wolf shoots my center torso twice with 4CERML and 1 ERCPPC and destroy mech. My two alpha strike barely scratch him (his armor not red). WTF?

#2 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 18 August 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

Timber wolf shoots my center torso twice with 4CERML and 1 ERCPPC and destroy mech. My two alpha strike barely scratch him (his armor not red). WTF?

Could it have been lag? I was using a Catapult K2 last night with 4ML and 2AC10, that's 40 (provided you get full burntime in one spot). I was fighting a Cicada. He was not running that fast and went straight towards me several times I unloaded 3 alphas at almost point blank to his front during the fight but he didn't go down. The crosshair was glowing red btw. He eventually killed me.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 19 August 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

Firstly you are referring to a Mech from the Clan pack, The Timber Wolf also known as the Mad Cat will not be available for MC for 2 months, Cbills in 3 months. MC only Mechs are not usually superior to Cbill mechs, only Hero Mechs are in any way different to mechs available for cbills in that they offer different (and often inferior) hard points and a 30% earnings boost

The Timber Wolf is arguably the best Mech in the game at the moment, because it is fast, jump capable, able to spread damage well and able to carry a good amount of firepower.
its Center Torso can have up-to 92 points of armor split between front and rear, it also has 46 points of internal structure in the CT, so it is possible for you to hit the Center torso twice with a 40 point alpha strike and it still have armor left, but it is far more likely you spread some of that damage onto the side torsos.

A laser does damage over the entire time the beam shows, so you need to hold the beam on target to deal full damage in the case of a Medium Laser I believe this is 0.75 seconds, so you will usually hit multiple sections no matter how well the initial shot was lined up.

also while not nearly as bad as it used to be hit registration is still not perfect, it is possible of both of you were moving the server thought you missed despite it looking like a hit from your perspective.

lastly is it possible you stripped all the armor and were seeing the internal structure as healthy (the line around a section is the armor, the solid area is the internal structure)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 August 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#4 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

Hitbox and aim. If you opponent has stable aim and knows where to shoot so that he won't spread his damage, he'll strip that component in no time. If you have a shaky aim and spread your über alpha all over the enemy mech, you'll just scratch their paint.

Take a look at this thread http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

#5 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

While the Timberwolf is medium sized, medium speed (hunchback speed anyway), you need to remember it is a 75 ton mech. Clan ER MLs are OP, but they do have the weakness of longer beam duration. While you aren't likely to beat the Timberwolf, you can play to your strengths and cause significant damage before you die.

In a hunchback, your AC20 (or whatever is in your hunch) is at head height. This makes the hunchback great for peeping over hills. Clan mechs generally have low hardpoints, so they are bad for peeping over hills (they'll shoot the ground or have to expose 2/3rds of their mech). You can go up a ridge, shoot your AC20 at the enemy, and be back in cover within ~1 second. If the enemy takes half a second to start shooting you with clan ERMLs, you're back in cover before the ERMLs have done half of their damage. If the enemy aims slowly, you can avoid the damage entirely.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

MC mechs in general do not have an advantage, although Clans mechs are generally able to bring more firepower per weight class than IS mechs (so a timberwolf has weaponry similar to say, an IS assault like a Victor).

Clan mechs do need some adjustments, and it's possible clan mechs will be moved to 10 clan mechs vs 12 IS mechs (giving IS a numerical advantage to balance ther Clans stronger equipment). clan mechs will also all be available for c-bills as per the release schedule.

BUT you are comparing a Medium mech to a Heavy mech, not exactly a fair comparison to bergin with. There are plenty of IS Heavy mechs capable of dealing more damage than your Hunchback, all of which are available for C-bills.

Clan lasers have a longer duration of fire, and clan ERPPCs spread damage across 3 sections, so you need to defensively torso twist to force them to spread damage; if their ERMLs are firing on you, swing your torso around so he can't focus that damage in one spot! Try to make him fore that ERPPC into am arm or side and not just CT.

#7 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

If you are running (for example) a HBK-4H
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7cf9e18064632d (stock)

You have 54 front CT armor and 40 on side torsos (134 total) Not including cockpit/arms.

TBR by default has 174 armor between CT/ST. Also, as others called out a 25 ton difference is a lot when comparing two different mechs.

A 40 point sustained or PP hit on the center torso of a TBR leaves ~30 pts.

A 4C-ERML + ERPPC to your HBK center torso is 38, leaving you with 16 if you were at 100%. You only have 32 hit points on internal. As soon as he burned through armor crits can happen. It is reasonable a second good shot to CT would put you down.

It doesn't mean the TBR is overpowered in your example. Sure, we can argue TBR may be in general. But your scenario came down to math, timing, and twisting out of damage.

A Hunchback and Meds in general are more hit-n-run than head to head. I can buy a Victor or Jager with C-bills and take down a TBR. Might not go head to head unless I am at an advantage in health or damage output. That's all part of the fun though, how do I engage this mech?

#8 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

first of all
No
That's 40 damage after you take your laser's burn time into account, not "a single shot"
If you held it in the same spot for the whole duration of the 1 second burn then wait for the 3 second cool down and then somehow did the same thing again then it would be 80 damage alphas you think you landed.
Your damage was spread out unless you really were able to maintain burn in the same exact spot over 5 seconds while at the same time landing both of your AC shots in the exact same place.
That's why your alphas didn't phase him.
Second of all
You're new and the other pilot probably wasn't and knew exactly where on a Hunch to shoot
Third, it honestly could have been the server and synch issues we've been dealing with.
My point is if you're looking for a game that's flawless and is easy to pick up and play with a great new user experience and tons of in depth content, you're probably gonna have to find another game.

Edited by Destructicus, 19 August 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Note: Your AC/20 has 20 damage at a single point. Your 4 ML has 20 damage that can spread out depending on where it hits in 1 second, with up to 10 different spots of damage, with 2 damage at each of those 10 spots.

His 4 ER MLs is generating 28 damage at up to 13 spots across 1.3 seconds at a rate of 2.1538(rounded) damage per spot.
His ER PPC generates 10 damage where it hits, which spreads an additional 2.5 left and 2.5 right of where it hit.

You're doing 40 damage total.
He's doing 43 damage total.

Now, here's another thing.
Your Hunchback can't possibly have 54 armor unless it happens to be on the center torso. Which is what I'm assuming he hit.
Lets assume that this is you. We know that his 43 damage can't possibly have gone through that armor because only 38 of it can possibly hit exactly one spot. Meaning you are already damaged.
If we assume he killed you in a single shot, then you had 32 structure + 6 armor left. However you said he fired twice. You had 32 structure + 44 armor left assuming he only hit your center torso.

Now here is the typical armor allocation of a Timber Wolf.

Notice the difference? To take out a Clan mech from the front, you don't want to go for the body. You would have broken his leg if you went for that. Side torsos are pretty risky too (hit the missile launchers to be consistent). What you want is to hit him from behind, or to hit him in the cockpit (18 armor + 15 structure = 35. 40 damage would've killed him). Most Clan mechs actually reduce their cockpit armor to even out tonnage, I'm serious.

If you hit him from behind, you would have killed him in two shots or less.

How to take out a Timber Wolf, and I'm serious this actually works.

Taking out a Dire Wolf -- this trick works on every Clan mech. If he turned around to fight me, the other guys would have wiped him out even faster.

In the case of faster Clan mechs, go for the leg first, then get behind them (or go for the other leg).

Edited by Koniving, 19 August 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#10 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

A timber wolf is one of the (more advanced) clan mechs (purchasable with c-bills in the future) and its 25 tons heavier then you, thats the result that should be expected when you face an opponent that much larger then you, thats a 50% difference

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Heh.
Back in the day, this was going against a 100% difference (Hunchback against an Atlas).

Now, here's a modern huge weight difference. 35 tons against 100 tons. However I was barely damaged and he was heavily fried. It was still an incredibly tough fight.

#12 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for priceless advices!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users