7 replies to this topic

#1 TyGeR STD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 245 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Consumable: EMP Burst

A single use consumable that when used sends out an EMP burst for 250M that disables enemy ECM, NARC, and Tag effects on your mech or a teammates mech within its range.

-ECM and Tag disabled for 10 sec
-Active NARC beacon destroyed.

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sounds good! :P

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Greetings,

This item or effect was brought up be Bryan as something he would like to see in the future.

There are Lore related items that produce this effect.
- Arrow IV has a special warhead that produces this EMP effect on detonation. (not in this timeline yet.)

- Called in Arty has this as one of there 'optional' warheads. Should only be a Command Console resource as this item has location sensor denial effects across the battlefield, and may cause undesired consequences to friendly units also.

- Enhanced NARC has this as one 'option' for its missile. (again not in this timeline.)

- And there could be some form of small deployable sensor that contains this 'local area' effect of EMP. Shutting down or reducing any Mech sensors if in the radius area when it activated. (to be designed yet.)

- There is also the 'Mech Taser', shutting down sensors and sometimes a Mech. (future timeline weapon)

There are still quite a few items that PGI has mentioned or talked about, all items they 'would like to see in the game'. Allocating resources to these is probably there main concern now.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 19 August 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#4 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

I know that it sounds like a good idea, But the one problem is that it just WOULDN'T work. First off. The Mech's Fusion reactor is powered by a very precise mix of the two elements inside it, which create that energy, IF the balance is thrown off even by a little, the reaction ends, an EMP going off in close proximity to that would not only fry the Neural link between the pilot and the mech, but it would also fry the reaction (thus either damaging or destroying the reactor) I would also then fry the targeting computer. Basically anything in the mech with an electronic circuit would be utterly destroyed.

And no. as far as I know. there is no armor in the BT lore that would be able to counter an EMP. It would fry everything within range. So it's just Not realistic. I know we are talking about science fiction here but that's besides the point.

That's just my two cents. Not bad idea. just not really viable.

#5 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Greetings all,

Reference the EMP frying all systems.

Military hardware is hardened, shielded, and protected from most effects of EMP's.
(not so the civilian market)

- The sensors within a Mech (in this timeline) are also resistant to being destroyed by EMP's, they may shut down to 'spool' back up or re-boot but not destroyed. Many systems have multiple redundant backups even if one is damaged or destroyed.
- EMP's would overload some sensors, but they are designed for this event.
- Many years of previous 'Atomic' and 'Nuclear' wars are behind the designs of these battle field machines.
(they learned there lessons and built systems to continue to operate, at least in this timeline.)

- The PPC causes damage but most of the 'charge' is channeled through the Mech and out the ground.
- The Mech Taser (that has yet to be developed and fielded) is designed to 'freeze' the Mech's ability to move. Myomer bundles overloaded and locked for a short time. (used quite often by 'Bounty Hunters' to capture there target 'alive'.) As well as some sensors temporarily shut down.

Reference the Fusion engine,
- The reaction is created from splitting a very small element of some of it's mass
- Once the hydrogen gas material (protium isotope) is 'energised' and a reaction is created, it's nearly self sustaining.
- It creates it's own power to operate the magnetic fields and vacuum.
- And is very heavily shielded from any and all outside effects.
- These engines are designed to operate in any environment from underwater to space vacuums.
- The Mech's own chassis and armour also provides shielding to some of the effects of an EMP.

The referenced (Tech manuals and Lore) effect that this device (EMP) causes for Mech's is to temporarily shut down some sensors and communications with the possibility of shutting down the Mech completely. Again, only a temporary effect but if used efficiently and in a limited area could be devastating to closely grouped enemy Mech's. Airburst or ground based should effect the radius of such a device if used in this game.
- For reference, IRL, the US and other countries tested many devices that create this effect, all were filmed and recorded through out the blast and effect.
(all military shielded and protected equipment)

Reference a similar device the EMP mine:
Electromagnetic Pulse Mines, or EMP Mines, are technologically advanced mines first developed by the Terran Hegemony in 2680 for exclusive use by the Star League Defense Force.
- Based on Vibrabomb design, EMP mines are able to disable an entire BattleMech without causing any permanent damage.
- The technology went extinct in 2825 after the First Succession War, but would later be recovered by the Free Worlds League in 3058.
- It has since been adopted by the Word of Blake and others, and while production has increased it still has yet to meet demand for the mines.
- they may only be deployed by minelayer vehicles or infantry

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 20 August 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Keep in mind the UAVs we use are not an implementation of a specific item/system from the TT and are essentially a brand new item on the battlefield.

While we do not have the right timeline for many equipment items that act as EMP, that does not mean we could not have a module or consumable with that sort of function.

The UAV does already offer some anti-ECM coverage, though, and I'm not sure if we need another item with so much functionality overlap with the UAV's anti ECM? Although I suppose having an anti-NARC would be helpful and baance by the one-shot consumable vs a NARC's multiple ammo

#7 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

Resurrected this topic cause I was thinking something similar. Battlefield 2142 had grenades for EMP against their mechs. In this game I would request the feature to be consumable like artillery use but only EMP effect. It disables ONLY laser and PPC weapons. ACs and missles still function. This effect would last couple of seconds only. I'm thinking this would be a good counter to light rushes on gens in FW as they typically can only carry lasers. Movement would still be allowed. Larger mechs could still fire their ACs and missiles as they have space usually for these weapons. And yes friendly and enemy mechs suffer same fate in blast radius similar to artillery

Edited by WANTED, 10 August 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#8 Spider00x

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Dude I want heat generating smoke grenades, like pop some are a gate before u push so you don't get murdered it's something out modern military uses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users