94 replies to this topic

#61 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Instead of removing penalties from weapon modules, increase both the benefit from the module and the penalty. Weapon modules with no drawbacks will just become another required upgrade for top tier competitiveness, along with custom weapon loadouts, DHS, endo steel, and mech modules.

The cost of modules in general means that new players are going to either buy fewer mechs, reducing the diversity and fun of play, or feel priced out of the full game experience.

#62 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostPostumus, on 20 August 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Instead of removing penalties from weapon modules, increase both the benefit from the module and the penalty. Weapon modules with no drawbacks will just become another required upgrade for top tier competitiveness, along with custom weapon loadouts, DHS, endo steel, and mech modules.

The cost of modules in general means that new players are going to either buy fewer mechs, reducing the diversity and fun of play, or feel priced out of the full game experience.

Please, it is just a Cbill sink, these delicate flowers of "new players" that all you nanny types keep pining about will save their Cbills and choose whether they want to spend them on more mechs, or for modules and upgrades, just like the rest of us do.

#63 Tynam

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 20 August 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Please, it is just a Cbill sink, these delicate flowers of "new players" that all you nanny types keep pining about will save their Cbills and choose whether they want to spend them on more mechs, or for modules and upgrades, just like the rest of us do.

...or get bored grinding for 40 hours to get one mech up to their design, realise they've got to do it twice more just to master the one chassis, and go play any of the dozen A-grade free-to-play games that don't waste your time like this.

Building, configuring and using mechs is fun.

Grinding endlessly so that you can is not. Being massacred by sniper mechs that are in no way penalised by ghost heat, while being unable to retaliate (or even see or lock your target) is not. Being a missile mech that goes the entire match without ever being able to fire (because the other team has two ECM mechs and there are no remotely good counterstrategies) is not. All of these things happen routinely to new players.

It's a competitive market out there in free-to-play, and PGI needs to stop squandering player goodwill by ignoring major issues while focussing on minor tweaks.

#64 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 20 August 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

And do you know that this is all about tuning? If they add something very powerfull they have to reduce it and vice versa so your expectations are most likely correct.

Yeah and PGI have been doing a cracking job of "tuning" so far :) . I am (genuinely) eagerly awaiting the day for PGI to amaze, I'm not holding my breath though.

#65 stillnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSolaris V.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hmm Cooldown Modules huh? I don't know about this to be honest. If it affects certain weapons then that would work. If not then try not to make them op okay?

#66 The UNremembered

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:33 AM

Sorry for my English, I use google translator. I think that the issue is not just about the modules on the weapon, but also all the others. As the latest amendments made ​​changes not only on the positive side, but with a negative. For example, on some of its models, the sword I would prefer to see the old version of the module with three slots.It would not be bad if there were too optics modules separately from the main modules of the Mech. 2 main module slot - too little, especially for players who prefer to use more than three weapons.I also think that you can just increase the Number of modules slots while to make so that the most dangerous modules occupy more than one slot ...
With respect to the creators of the game.

#67 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostSandslice, on 20 August 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

You can buy them, and they upgrade automatically as you buy into more ranks - which is exactly what happens with other ranked modules (eg Sensor Range.)

Haha, figures.. this many weapon modules I've been needing...

#68 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

Great c-bill sink by PGI...
too bad they are removing the negative effects from the weapon modules, why not go for a positive with an accompanied negative effect more or less unique to the weapon

i.e.

ER-LL
range increase for longer recycle time

LPL
reduced beam duration
increased heat

SRM6
tightend missile volley
reduced ammo per ton

AC20
reduced recycle time
increased shell drop off

Clan Streaks
reduced recycle time
decreased range

and so on
2-3 different combinations could be offered for every weapon to support various playstyles

now it is just "buff for bills"

#69 CharlieChap

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

My idea in the other thread was to use the modules for defining the manufacturer. We know that weapons modules can contain multiple quirks, i.e. range bonus with additional heat. It would easy to create a "Martell Medium Laser" module that gave decreased range, increased ROF and shorter beam duration....

That is a very interesting idea. Like it a lot :ph34r:

#70 VanillaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostPostumus, on 20 August 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

The C-Bill cost is not why new players are not using modules, it is the GXP cost to unlock the module in the pilot tree. A player can easily grind the C-Bills for the modules but the grind is even worse in regards to GXP. I know that I used double XP weekends and half price XP-GXP conversion to unlock most of my modules with MC.

#71 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Thank you for the announcement regarding the changes to weapon modules. However, until all weapon modules are released and finalized, I'm not particularly inclined to get any since you have made it clear that no refunds will be given for GXP or C-Bills spent if changes are made where modules may be rendered obsolescent / redundant.

#72 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 20 August 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

Necessary modules are a bad business decision, as players will buy less mech bays due to grinding C-bills for modules.

Quoted for truth. I could have bought all the Locusts on sale and filled 6 mech bays for the price of radar deprivation.

#73 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 21 August 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Quoted for truth. I could have bought all the Locusts on sale and filled 6 mech bays for the price of radar deprivation.

Yes...but would you have piloted them? I think not!

Thus your money was better spent on the module.

Edited by Gorgo7, 22 August 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#74 leelime92

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

personally i like the modules, yea they need work but its a good concept. it can keep the game alive, i have only been playing mwo for 4 months (been playing mw since mw4 v ). I already have my favorite mech and its kitted out, i also have 4 other mechs 3 kitted and 1 under construction. I like the idea i can keep improving my build rather than getting to a point where im happy and then having to move on, i can keep tweaking and improving untill my favorite mech is as powerfull as i feel it deserves. yea its a grind but it gives u a goal to head towards which i feel is important to the continued play of a game. as for the new players suffering i believe mw has an enormous dedicated fan base like myself who play because we love the series, and will continue to play in one form or another. ive been replaying mw4 mercs offline for years because i couldnt find another game i enjoyed as much, so new players will come despite advantages of vets because of the same intrigue and awe i showed as a kid when my dad showed me the game. seeing the advantage of the veterans will give the new players a goal they will see us and think "holy s*it i want a mech like that guys".
its down to us as a comunity to welcome and help new players, who knows u might even make a friend

long story short
modules yes keep it up
new players not an issue
my spelling not great ;]

#75 DaveRatters

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

Mmm - making the weapon modules worth buying... so possibly something like "buy buy buy"?

I know this is going to sound repetitive but this is really just another cash grab - making the pill sweet etc..

So maybe it's "buy buy buy buy - bye bye"?

We'll see

#76 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

Five ranks of pittance range increases is not going to fix the module system.

Ok, I can squeeze what, at best 50m out of some guns. Probably not the guns people need to boost, and since the clanners get them TOO, nothing changes. It just raises the grind again, but since the adjustments aren't very noteworthy we CAN just skip the entire system and probably not suffer too badly.

Add to that, the modules at rank 5 probably cost around 5,000 gxp each, conservatively. I'm guessing more, which is a huge investment for a 50m increase. You lowered all the CB costs for weapon modules, bully...but kitting out a mech in a set of them could cost 20,000 gxp and 15m CB. For that price I can buy another variant and almost instant-level it through elite.

You've said before that modules are intended to be the "end game" content, then make them be worth using. I don't know of a single raid in World of Warcraft that provided "end game content" and dropped completely worthless loot.

#77 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

OK I looked at Smurfy...based on your current numbers, if all ranks of a weapon mod double the last rank's range: we can get some decent upgrades to things.

Are they worth 3m cb (unless you raise the costs again) and 5-7k gxp? I don't know, that's tough. I'm still going to get outranged by every clan weapon ever, and there are lots of other things to spend 9m CB on...like new variants.

Or just save it all for the 20-25m per variant costs for Clan mechs, because those are going to be the only cbill sink you need for a loooong while.

#78 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

Newb gonna be rolled even more.

#79 Hillbillycrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Weapon nerfs have taught me to be very damned shy about buying weapon modules. Ever.

If it was just (a ridiculous amount of) c-bills then that's one thing; but high GXP too... ah no.

#80 b1ue

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 21 August 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

So true. But.. I love my radar dep, it was worth it.

Edited by b1ue, 24 August 2014 - 08:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users