#1 Graywar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hello everyone!

I just started playing this game about 2 weeks ago (although I registered my account in November 2012) and I've got a problem. Sometimes when pressing A or D the mech won't turn and I have to stop walking to be able to turn. I think this is quite strange, especially considering that when I'm turning using the Z-axis of my joystick (which is bound to "analog turn"), it works perfectly.

Currently I'm using the joystick for torso twist und firing weapons. I want to switch to mouse, however the "turning problem" forces me to use the joystick. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

#2 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

sounds like you might have a bad keyboard problem.
of course when your at full speed you turn slower.

Edited by Cybermech, 05 August 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#3 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Do you have a Logitech keyboard? Lot's of them can't register more than 2 key hits at the same time.

#4 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

If you have a decent joystick then my suggestion is to us it as your throttle and turning control while using the mouse for aiming and torso twisting. It is actually quite efficient and I know of multiple players (including me) that use this type of setup.

There are some keyboards that are very odd about hitting multiple keys at once so that could be part of your issue.

#5 WarRats

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

One of the people I play with had that problem as well. He said he had forgotten that he had a game pad plugged in for another game. He unplugged it and got his turning back in mwo.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

I sometimes get this because my keyboard has a loose wire. When it disconnects for even a second, I begin turning. The cure is to press that turning key and it stops. It'll only work if the keyboard did reconnect, and it's in fact the keyboard at fault.

#7 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

dusty keyboard might be the cause bit of cleaning and it should work.
I smoke around my keyboard is it gets a bit funky till I get off my lazy bottom and do something

Edited by Cybermech, 05 August 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#8 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

DID YOU FORGET TO TURN OFF STICKEY KEYS?!?!?

hehe just kidding.

sounds strange bro, like a busted keyboard or something.

I've disassembled this keyboard and ran it in the dish washing machine, put it back together and it works great.

but don't use soap! just water.

also, you want to make sure your dish washing machine is really clean to begin with, maybe run an empty load before hand. ya might have a piece of dirt or brownie or cookie, ritz craker, pot seed or something jammed up in there. I've had this 15$ Kensington for years and I've washed it... 3 times? now I think. about due for another. oh yea, let it thoroughly air dry before plugging back in...

and I am not responsible for any broken keyboards, people. however I've done that with pretty expensive keyboards in the past as well.

#9 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

If the problem is with your keyboard, it would likely be an issue with "n-key rollover".
Cheap keyboards can sometimes not detect multiple keys being pressed together.

Here is a web page that will let you test your keyboard to see if n-key rollover is the problem.

Edited by evilC, 05 August 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#10 Graywar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

The strange this is that the keyboard works perfectly in other games...

I did that n-key rollover test and everything seems okay with WASD. But when pressing E, I can only press two keys... for example W+E or S+E, but not W+A+E. However, I never use E when playing MWO.

I have an Acer keyboard, by the way. I think I have a second Keyboard somewhere, I have to try that one.

#11 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Most likely culprit is the joystick. Try a support ticket with your setup including joystick and the issue, preferably with DXDiag attached and they will hopefully point you in the right direction.

If that fails (give it some time, it is a holiday in BC today), post a thread about joystick support and that may bring a Dev out of the woodworks.

Good luck with resolution.

#12 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Sorry, I should have read properly. You said it only started happening recently, so obviously it isn't n-key.
When you say "Sometimes when pressing A or D the mech won't turn and I have to stop walking to be able to turn", does that mean you are using throttle decay, or do you mean that you have to use D or X and when the mech stops moving you can start turning?
I would also look into the stick. Do you have the stick programmed and plugged in all the time? If so, a slight fluctuation in the stick (Can happen even if not in use) could be causing the mech to stop turning - I have seen similar things happen myself - the stick fluctuates around 0, tripping the stick detection, which reports an almost 0 value, which stops the keys responding.

Edited by evilC, 05 August 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#13 Noowt

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

I was having the same problem....it is the joystick. If you unplugg it things go back to normal

#14 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostCybermech, on 05 August 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

sounds like you might have a bad keyboard problem.
of course when your at full speed you turn slower.

You actually don't turn slower when you move faster, your turning circle just gets bigger. Turning speed is dependent on your base top speed, the anchor turn ability ( locked, unlocked or doubled ) and related mech quirks, though there are only a few mechs with turning speed quirks.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 20 August 2014 - 05:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users