24 replies to this topic

#21 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

TAG is vastly, vastly more useful. I only install BAP on builds that can't fit anything else like the BJ-1X. Streaks are dead now so BAP is largely useless. Also you barely have to expose yourself to fire if using a headslot TAG.

In terms of CECM You will get that CECM bonus well before your UAV is shot down(if it is shot down in a PUG). The slowness of the burn through and the small size of the bubble means lights can simply dance into and out a BAP field under normal combat conditions. The use of BAP on streak builds was about using target decay to maximum effect more than anything else.

#22 Heffey

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 20 August 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

TAG is vastly, vastly more useful.

Ok but for what?

#23 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Something not really mentioned, BAP is useful if you're aiming to be that person that harasses an enemy group from a far distance with PPCs or any variation of Large Lasers, because you can spot them for teammates from further away, letting you take an even further away position to mitigate more damage you may sustain while still being able to spot for allied LRMs. TAG only have a 750m range, and must maintain a line of sight. Doesn't work against an ECM-shielded enemy, but usually you can find somebody outside of the ECM shield, and you can lock onto them even if they're not the focus of your firepower. TAG also gives away the fact that you've popped out of cover, so learn to time that long-range weapon with the TAG well.

In my experience, when using LRMs heavily myself, TAG doesn't help much. I use it mostly on mechs where I'm brawling, actually. I use a keyboard to play, and if I'm exposing myself long enough to take a shot, I can use TAG while firing on the enemy without negatively effecting my ability. Won't keep a lock for very long if you're torso twisting to mitigate damage like you should be doing, though. Effective when fighting an enemy who has to split their attention between multiple mechs, though, as you can usually twist before they shift their focus onto you.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 20 August 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#24 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Depends entirely on the mech I'm driving. BAP is for my brawlers, and TAG is for my support mechs. I don't drive snipers, and even if I did I probably would have quit when the clan mechs arrived with their far better than most things I could C-bill range.

#25 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

I use TAG for LRMs builds. It does help pinpointing damage to targets. I dont use BAP, for that weight I can mount additional wepons/ammo.

On other builds TAG is usefull for grinding XPs and in that phase I also use UAV. That combination will at least double or triple XPs for getting BASIC and ELITE status quickly.

And I am talking about PUG games...

Edited by ExoForce, 21 August 2014 - 10:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users