90 replies to this topic

#41 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

View Postmonk, on 22 August 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Just report them and move on. Not much else to do. Statistically there should be a roughly equal number of morons on both sides throughout the weekend.

Seen them too, but it's not a reportable offense sadly. Only if they run out of bounds. Rushing in "rambo" style is the same as legging yourself to deny someone a kill, and even Russ has done that.

#42 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

Work too hard!!.....Hell I got 150 million non working free-loaders to support. I am still gonna hit it for a few hrs each day after work see how far I get.

#43 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 22 August 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Seen them too, but it's not a reportable offense sadly. Only if they run out of bounds. Rushing in "rambo" style is the same as legging yourself to deny someone a kill, and even Russ has done that.

yes it is, it's been documented many times by staff. Running in to suicide like that IS a punishable offense

#44 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 August 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

except you're not the only one who plays the game and every single challenge/event that has been run to date has been based on kills. Many of us are tired of that and have been asking for something based on team wins to be included as well. If you don't like the challenge don't participate? Some of us want wins as well not just kills. How many events have been run that players like you enjoyed compared to how many events have been run that players like me (wanting team based events) want?

Well that being said the last one included assists which means regardless of kills progress is being made for everyone involved. With a win based challenge you get nothing but frustration and toxic attitudes when on the losing team. Perhaps if you didn't like the previous challenges you shouldn't have played, or made suggestions for a challenge that wasn't tedious and something that more than just people with your mindset could have enjoyed?

It would be one thing if this was a team based event, but it isn't. This is a bunch of random players grinding games in hopes that the match maker will show mercy, and a bunch of dbags as you have called them that are making the entire event both pointless and frustrating as they suicide their way to an eventual 50 wins.

#45 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 22 August 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

Perhaps if you didn't like the previous challenges you shouldn't have played, or made suggestions for a challenge that wasn't tedious and something that more than just people with your mindset could have enjoyed?

or?
realize that I did make suggestions (as did MANY others) about having events based on wins instead of kills because some of us prefer that instead?

Point being, how many kill events have they had?
how many win events have we had?

I sincerely doubt one weekend dedicated to wins instead of kills once in a while is going to break anything around here. You get the exact same toxicity regarding kill events except it reads more like "Game sucks because everyone's more concerned with their kills than actually winning the match"

If you guys don't like the event, just don't participate in it. It's not like it changes the way you played yesterday. With a win based event you're playing in the same manner you were yesterday, trying to win the match. I agree 100% that they should have included the group queue for this but not at the exclusion of the solo queue.

I'm still having a hard time understanding why we can have 10 events based on "kill everyone" but having an event once in a while based on "work as a team and win the match" is "bad"

#46 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 August 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

yes it is, it's been documented many times by staff. Running in to suicide like that IS a punishable offense

I haven't seen anything against "Ramboing as it were" officially.

Surprisingly, this tactic is very much usable in Puglandia and part of my set of tools. You can cause absolute pandemonium for the opposition on certain maps playing recklessly aka Rambo.

Examples of Rambo as High Risk/High Reward:

Immediately charging Mount Everest from the bottom (yes I have done this in a Kitfox even from alpha)
Can lead to a very quick win, if 50% or more of their team is timid.
Usually can get a few people to follow me even if they are cowering in the rear lobbing missiles or whatever.

Immediately charging center of Mordor and out the other side*.
Stalls advance can easily lead to shooting gallery at the ramps.

Immediately charging across the water from the natural direction on River City (Assault)
Normally, people expect this to be a sniperfest. However, if you blitz fast before they can get entrenched it is an easy win.

Immediately charging a side on HPG manifold near an entrance.
Even just one mech with a dakka or fear inducing weapon can cause a whole lance to stall completely.

Edited by Chagatay, 22 August 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#47 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Not to mention...

don't participate and stop asking for tedious events based on kills that promote nothing but selfish game play in a team based game that offers something that more than just people with your mindset of kill em all is fun can enjoy?

View PostChagatay, on 22 August 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

snip

not going to argue this for 2396034th time. Like I said, well-documented. Responded to by staff too many times to count verifying this.

#48 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 22 August 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

dont know about everyone else im dropping in assaults because i know im gonna need an extra strong back to carry my team more then likely.

LOL, I was thinking the opposite. That I need to get in my Ember this weekend so I can dance around those remaining Direwolves and win the match... Guessing I'll have to play both extremes and see what works best! :angry:

#49 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostXenonCx, on 22 August 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

LOL, I was thinking the opposite. That I need to get in my Ember this weekend so I can dance around those remaining Direwolves and win the match... Guessing I'll have to play both extremes and see what works best! ;)

just hope you dont get in front of me long enough for me to get a bead with my Gauss :angry: or that i can keep my lasers on your leg long enough to melt it off

#50 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 August 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

Post some links. I find it difficult to believe playing the game is a punishable offense. Plenty of stock mechs and scouts are smeared before they break 50 damage thanks to PPFLD and Clan alphas.

#51 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 August 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

or?
realize that I did make suggestions (as did MANY others) about having events based on wins instead of kills because some of us prefer that instead?
Like I said, make better suggestion than events based on wins. Find something that more people will enjoy than one or the other.

Point being, how many kill events have they had?
how many win events have we had?
They have had win events in the past just not recently, and why I knew they are not enjoyable.

I sincerely doubt one weekend dedicated to wins instead of kills once in a while is going to break anything around here. You get the exact same toxicity regarding kill events except it reads more like "Game sucks because everyone's more concerned with their kills than actually winning the match"
That hasn't been my experience. As the event goes on and people start to see completing it is getting further and further away they tend to lash out a great deal more when things are not going well. That and on kill events you don't have this nonsense of people afking and suiciding to such a large extent.

If you guys don't like the event, just don't participate in it. It's not like it changes the way you played yesterday. With a win based event you're playing in the same manner you were yesterday, trying to win the match. I agree 100% that they should have included the group queue for this but not at the exclusion of the solo queue.
With the type of crappy play this brings out with the "dbags" I find it hard to play in the same manner I was yesterday. The same can be said though about the other events. If you didn't like them don't play, and if you complained about those events don't complain that I am complaining about this one.

I'm still having a hard time understanding why we can have 10 events based on "kill everyone" but having an event once in a while based on "work as a team and win the match" is "bad"
Like I have said this win challenged isn't working as a team. It gives the illusion of team play and coordination, but it really isn't there. At least with the kill event last week everyone was making progress even if they didn't get the finishing blow. It was as much a team based event as this farce.

#52 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 August 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Not to mention...

don't participate and stop asking for tedious events based on kills that promote nothing but selfish game play in a team based game that offers something that more than just people with your mindset of kill em all is fun can enjoy?
Kill the other team is often I big part of the whole winning thing for the team, and at least with the kill events you have some control over your final outcome as opposed to relying on other people that may not even care about the event. Like I said the kill event isn't perfect, but it is less annoying than a win event(personal opinion). I would love it if we could come up with something better, or perhaps find a way to combine the two into something more interesting.

#53 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 22 August 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

on the plus side by time i get my 50 wins ill have earned at least 15 million cbills
just have to decide which of the onsale mechs i want

Raven-3L and Cicada-3M have top billing IMO (if you don't have them already).

While I prefer wins for the challenges to a degree, the biggest issue so far is farming... so as far a I'm concerned, a "bare minimum" contribution has to be issued... like in the form of 4 assists and 150 damage. This is not a high bar to set (if anything, technically one good atry/airstrike is required to accomplish this) AND that the player has to stick around to the conclusion of the match... to prevent strict farming (because that's all the rage apparently).

That's the only way I can think at the moment to burn of my current rage of this "so called event".

Edited by Deathlike, 22 August 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#54 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 August 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Not to mention...

not going to argue this for 2396034th time. Like I said, well-documented. Responded to by staff too many times to count verifying this.

http://mwomercs.com/...on/page__st__20

The only post I have found is this one that seems to support what you say. But as I have outlined above as long as there is a tactical reason it is perfectly valid to Rambo in style. Note that this post also makes it illegal to "stand around like a potato" but I see this reportable offense every match. This next part is not directed at you Sandpit, note that it is also PERFECTLY fine to hide as long as you participated.

View PostWarHippy, on 22 August 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Like I have said this win challenged isn't working as a team. It gives the illusion of team play and coordination, but it really isn't there. At least with the kill event last week everyone was making progress even if they didn't get the finishing blow. It was as much a team based event as this farce.

Meh, my low backside armor didn't like last week's "challenge"* at all!!!! Can't begin to count how many times I got crippled from people unloading into my back.

*note not a challenge just a grindfest.

I support the OP in that this is the best challenge in quite some time. Easily doable and not frustrating at all.

Edited by Chagatay, 22 August 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#55 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postbeerandasmoke, on 22 August 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Ingame chat should be quite the spectacle this weekend. I expect too see "My team are all noobs and caused me to lose!" from the guy with double digit damage and the first to die multiple times. Seems to be a pretty generous challenge especially the 7 days premium if your willing to put in the time.

True that!
It's always the same: the whiner vs the team is the guy with the worse dmg :angry:

#56 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostChagatay, on 22 August 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

Meh, my low backside armor didn't like last week's "challenge"* at all!!!! Can't begin to count how many times I got crippled from people unloading into my back.

*note not a challenge just a grindfest.

I support the OP in that this is the best challenge in quite some time. Easily doable and not frustrating at all.
Yes, well I didn't have the problem of getting shot in the back, but I really despise this event so I guess opinions will vary.

#57 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

Actually I like this challenge. For a challenge it at least motivates people wanting to win rather than steal kills.

#58 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

Personally... this should have been a team challenge (although solos still can collect wins too).

If you want to prevent the "large premade" fear, you "could' give weight to smaller groups or solo players doing said challenge, over bigger ones. It's not as if this is a "penalty" (it's a "penalty" in a sense for not having true teamwork though).

Although, this probably wouldn't prevent sync drop attempts (the cutoff probably needs to be around 6-7 man teams), but sync drops under the current system would be rather difficult... just being in one group is easier in the first place...

#59 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 August 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Actually I like this challenge. For a challenge it at least motivates people wanting to win rather than steal kills.

I have never understood people that proclaim the virtues of working as a team and winning, and yet decry "stealing kills". If you are actually a team player it shouldn't matter who got the kill only that someone did and your team won because of it.

#60 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Its fun to have the enemy team call you the MVP of the match while in a raven with flamers/tag/narc. The lrms are real

51 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users