Best Challange Ever?

90 replies to this topic

#61 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 22 August 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

or possibly the worst for some people depending on their ELO bracket lol but still chance at a mech bay, 7 days premium and 6.5 mil cbills worth it just gotta stock up on some booze :angry:

If you are aiming for mechbay, it is the easiest challenge.

#62 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 22 August 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

I have never understood people that proclaim the virtues of working as a team and winning, and yet decry "stealing kills". If you are actually a team player it shouldn't matter who got the kill only that someone did and your team won because of it.

Because kills are worth money and XP and in other contests are worth actually valuable points. The problem is that stealing kills works *against* your team because people who steal kills are not looking at driving the win but scavenging the efforts of their own team. It's like playing a man down; a killsteal is a kill that someone else was going to make anyway. Someone who hangs back and steals kills may as well not be there; they're doing work someone else was already doing. Getting a mech to near-death is the hard part.

That changes a bit when the real metric is winning. At that point the person killstealing is literally wasting time; their efforts do not have the same reward and as such are less of a motivation. It tends to drive less focus on getting the kill and more on driving the win.

#63 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 August 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Because kills are worth money and XP and in other contests are worth actually valuable points. The problem is that stealing kills works *against* your team because people who steal kills are not looking at driving the win but scavenging the efforts of their own team. It's like playing a man down; a killsteal is a kill that someone else was going to make anyway. Someone who hangs back and steals kills may as well not be there; they're doing work someone else was already doing. Getting a mech to near-death is the hard part.

Everytime when people complains LRM boats are stealing all the kills, my 3H sheds a tear. If I am dealing over 50% of the damage, the kill should be mine.

#64 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 August 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Everytime when people complains LRM boats are stealing all the kills, my 3H sheds a tear. If I am dealing over 50% of the damage, the kill should be mine.

You're not the average LRM boat El Bandito.

The average LRM boat in PUG queue often goes off alone with no protection and just rains on whoever is already getting hammered. If 5 team members are already dropping the hammer with DF on someone they don't need LURMs on them too. We need LURMs on their own targets, or brushing back snipers or sneaky lights.

Good LRM boats bring their own tag and are not far from the rest of the team.

#65 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 August 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Assists are worth money and XP as are winning games so I'm not sure what your point is. Only a very few people hide and wait to "steal" a kill, and what most complain about as "kill stealing" was usually just two or more people shooting at the same target and they are mad because they felt that they deserved the finishing blow. Focus firing on a target is actually a good thing, and more often than not a desired benefit of working together. At worst the assumed kill stealer is at least marginally more useful than the people suiciding matches to grind out their wins.

#66 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 22 August 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

Assists are worth money and XP as are winning games so I'm not sure what your point is. Only a very few people hide and wait to "steal" a kill, and what most complain about as "kill stealing" was usually just two or more people shooting at the same target and they are mad because they felt that they deserved the finishing blow. Focus firing on a target is actually a good thing, and more often than not a desired benefit of working together. At worst the assumed kill stealer is at least marginally more useful than the people suiciding matches to grind out their wins.

I've watched people killsteal plenty of times. I'm not talking about multiple folks shooting at the same target at the same time; concentration of fire is awesome. I'm talking about people who cycle targets, find the one who's red CT and shoot him first even though he's not the biggest threat.

For example, last match I was in my Banshee PPC+gauss loadout. I'm keeping at range, doing damage. A Spider nearby catches a dedicated LRM boat Stalker. I move to help, we peel him down to near dead and he runs AWAY from his own team, off alone. I left him to the spider to kill because he was going to do so with no threat to himself and a guaranteed end to that Stalker who was effectively out of the action then. I moved on to attack the enemy - I focused on a gauss sniper Phract. In about 45 seconds I helped swing us from a 6-9 losing situation to a 9-9 even up and when the Spider got back and disrupted the enemy and held targets for us we finished the last 3.

Why? We focused on what would WIN instead of chasing KILLs.

That's exactly what I'm takling about. If I'd chased the Stalker my 45pt alphas would have taken the kill, almost for certain. However my remaining teammate would have gotten rolled by the other team while the Spider and I were off alone and we'd have lost.

#67 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 August 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

Raven-3L and Cicada-3M have top billing IMO (if you don't have them already).

While I prefer wins for the challenges to a degree, the biggest issue so far is farming... so as far a I'm concerned, a "bare minimum" contribution has to be issued... like in the form of 4 assists and 150 damage. This is not a high bar to set (if anything, technically one good atry/airstrike is required to accomplish this) AND that the player has to stick around to the conclusion of the match... to prevent strict farming (because that's all the rage apparently).

That's the only way I can think at the moment to burn of my current rage of this "so called event".

i have all the older mech chasis except the cataphract & Stalker which for stalkers the last one i need isnt on sale..... 5s
for the newer mechs i still need the quickdraws, banshees, orions, kintaro, victor and highlander
il probably buy the cataphracts and assaults that are on sale right now of the list or maybe the quickdraws since 3 are on sale..... not sure though

#68 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:33 AM

Pugs make my eyes bleed.

Still, have not received as much friendly fire as the last challenges, and have not seen the "Pros" on. (Too risky to their KDR?)

#69 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 23 August 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

Pugs make my eyes bleed.

Still, have not received as much friendly fire as the last challenges, and have not seen the "Pros" on. (Too risky to their KDR?)

could be the loss of doritos....seeing it every round now and its sort of unavoidable when you come up on one you just instinctively shoot.

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 August 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

I've watched people killsteal plenty of times. I'm not talking about multiple folks shooting at the same target at the same time; concentration of fire is awesome. I'm talking about people who cycle targets, find the one who's red CT and shoot him first even though he's not the biggest threat.

For example, last match I was in my Banshee PPC+gauss loadout. I'm keeping at range, doing damage. A Spider nearby catches a dedicated LRM boat Stalker. I move to help, we peel him down to near dead and he runs AWAY from his own team, off alone. I left him to the spider to kill because he was going to do so with no threat to himself and a guaranteed end to that Stalker who was effectively out of the action then. I moved on to attack the enemy - I focused on a gauss sniper Phract. In about 45 seconds I helped swing us from a 6-9 losing situation to a 9-9 even up and when the Spider got back and disrupted the enemy and held targets for us we finished the last 3.

Why? We focused on what would WIN instead of chasing KILLs.

That's exactly what I'm takling about. If I'd chased the Stalker my 45pt alphas would have taken the kill, almost for certain. However my remaining teammate would have gotten rolled by the other team while the Spider and I were off alone and we'd have lost.

problem is...the only real reward is to get kills.

#70 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 August 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Actually I like this challenge. For a challenge it at least motivates people wanting to win rather than steal kills.

Yeah, I just played a match where two guys on my team d/c'ed and another began TK'ing people. That was fun.

#71 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

yea the amount of light suicides is astounding.....

wish you could name and shame because I think it is needed for this.

#72 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

2 hours of play, 10 matches, massive amount of Discons and suiciders in the teams... 1 win, 7 matches lost...

And I actually thought I might actually get the 6.5 Mio creds...

#73 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 23 August 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

and have not seen the "Pros" on. (Too risky to their KDR?)

Played with Odwalla last night in an epic match that ended in a draw. They are out there.

#74 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 23 August 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Played with Odwalla last night in an epic match that ended in a draw. They are out there.

I played a match with Odwalla too. A few high-profile people in that match but it wasn't a tie. Lot of fun though.

#75 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Someone must be winning all of these games others are losing. Why can't I be on that team?

#76 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I think this is the BEST challenge I've seen since being involved with MWO (a year roughly).

The objective is to win, therefore encourages people to do whatever to WIN. May I point out that this is generally the objective anyway, therefore I don't think you can criticise PGI for this one as, if there are people deliberately disconnecting (thus increasing their own chances of losing.. right?! ) then that's their own stupidity and crass nature coming out. Report them, maybe even name and shame them?

Personally I think PGI should have some kind of mechanism for weeding out abusers like this (though if MAPS aren't financially worth it, I guess this wouldn't be.. Sad truth huh? ).
You disconnect 60 times in a challenge period... 2 month ban. Do it again, all your MC goes down the sh*tt*r as your account gets deleted.

Rockin it in my Cicada atm..

#77 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostNick86, on 23 August 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

I think this is the BEST challenge I've seen since being involved with MWO (a year roughly).

The objective is to win, therefore encourages people to do whatever to WIN. May I point out that this is generally the objective anyway, therefore I don't think you can criticise PGI for this one as, if there are people deliberately disconnecting (thus increasing their own chances of losing.. right?! ) then that's their own stupidity and crass nature coming out. Report them, maybe even name and shame them?

Personally I think PGI should have some kind of mechanism for weeding out abusers like this (though if MAPS aren't financially worth it, I guess this wouldn't be.. Sad truth huh? ).
You disconnect 60 times in a challenge period... 2 month ban. Do it again, all your MC goes down the sh*tt*r as your account gets deleted.

Rockin it in my Cicada atm..

In all my time this has been the worst by far. http://mwomercs.com/...e/page__st__100
People in that thread are admitting to gaming the system and the devs do nothing. Until they lay down the hammer on these people, and open this up to group play I hope they never do a win based challenge again.

#78 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Lovin the challenge, honestly. Got my bay after a couple hours last night. Halfway to the premium now, probly wont get the Cbills, but hey, Im havin fun ^_^ To those complaining about the 50 wins, thats the point, its something to really reach for!

#79 Kahoumono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Another challenge with free rewards. Notice how there are constant challenges to drum up demand when previously they were reluctant to give anything away. I guess things aren't looking so rosy anymore or they need cannon fodder for their clan customers.

#80 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Or... maybe they listened to the requests for more events?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users