I Don't Understand How To Use Lrms

8 replies to this topic

#1 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I mean, i get the basic principle, but I dont understand the hud.

The three 'fingers' on top of a target (supposed to be missiles, srs pgi get a new artist), means missiles going to the target, right?

What does the square box with a cross through it mean. And the three ((( on top of a target, but the other way round (like soundwaves).

And wtf do narc and tag actually do?

And what about the three bars, small to large with small one coloured in?

And on top of all of this, why do I seem to lose lock, immediately as I fire missiles. Im talking within the first second. It's not enough time for someone to react and get behind cover enough to break the lock. As a result, the missiles end up smashing into the floor in front of me.

Also on this, how can enemy missiles be so accurate? I get fired at, and i drop behind a hill. Theres no other enemies looking at me and even through i drop behind the hill a good 200ft or so and move to one side, the missiles still hit me.

Edited by 151st Light Horse Regiment, 24 August 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#2 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Just look at the relevant in-game tutorial that PGI made, explaining to new players exactly how LRMs, TAG, NARC and ECM work in relation to each other. No one expects you to search the forums and old patch notes to find out, so... if you look at one of PGI's many in-game tutorials, you should learn all this stuff in no time.

Right?

#3 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Watch my guide for all these questions. You should find an answer there. Icon Guide

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 24 August 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#4 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostHenri Schoots, on 24 August 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

quoted deleted post

Or if we could remove trolls like you from the forums, this place would be so much better.

For an informed response. The little box with the cross hair means that target is being actively hit with the TAG unit. A one ton energy weapon that will break ecm and also make missiles more accurate.

The wifi symbol is narc. You can get a lock on to the target and fire without fear of losing the lock unless the enemy steps into ECM.

You are losing lock on the enemy for 2 reasons, they have the radar deprivation module or they have stepped into ecm. I'm assuming you always have your reticle on the target after you fire btw. Radar deprivation module will make the enemy disappear from hud as soon as you lose line of sight. This your missiles will only go toward the last known location. This is also the reason you are still getting tracked, you don't have it and they have targeting decay module . Targeting Decay module will allow you to keep a target longer after you lose line of sight, UNLESS it has radar deprivation.

Hope this helps

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 24 August 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#5 Koryitsu

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Regardless of whether this is an actual new guy or not, this is exactly why we have so many derpy new people. Even for the ones that truly want to make themselves better and understand the mechanics, THEY ARE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND

Show me one concise page where all the "Items" in the game have their rules explained. I certainly can't. I wanted to freshen up on exactly what percentages of lock speed each item gave not too long ago, and was once again brought back into lack of communicative fury PGI dishes out so well, ending up defaulting back to smurfys only to find even smurfys has some of the details on EWAR and electronic equipment not listed either.

For christ sake. Give us a "Game Mechanics" page with a "Basic Gameplay" and "Advanced Gameplay" explaination showing some of these features being used. A series of simple images and words would suffice, even if its not the tutorial for the "New player experience" you've been touting. "This is a NARC. It does X. This is a Tag. It does Y"

We might see not quite as many double and triple tag mechs that way. Who knows?

#6 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostSaxie, on 24 August 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure 151 is trolling, check his post history.

#7 Koryitsu

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 24 August 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure 151 is trolling, check his post history.

Even if he is. It's a legitimate question. I've had to explain it many times to new players. Many times I've wondered why there isnt a page i can just send them to to read besides either the wall of text that is Sarna, or the wall of numbers that is smurfys. Neither of which are very conducive to most casual players coming back to play again.

#8 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 24 August 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

And on top of all of this, why do I seem to lose lock, immediately as I fire missiles. Im talking within the first second. It's not enough time for someone to react and get behind cover enough to break the lock. As a result, the missiles end up smashing into the floor in front of me.

LRM's are currently broken and sometimes do not actually have a lock when the reticule indicates a solid lock and fired missiles just drop into the ground in front of you. Listen for the tone (if you can hear it in battle) or wait a few seconds after "reticule lock" before firing.

#9 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

These are all secrets reserved for the inner circle.

The Answers must be handed down only from master to student, otherwise it would cheapen the illusion of the mystification of the unholy order of LURMS!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users