#41 The Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 24 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Oh, there are issues...

Let's put it this way: Last weekend, I scored in the low 200's for IS Medium mechs and the low 300's for IS assault mechs... and the assault I drove most of that weekend was a non-leveled Banshee 3M, which can only be considered a hunk of overheating junk and which was quickly sold once the Basics were finished on it. So, given that the ratings went to at least 2,000 ranking, I'm not some clueless player.

And yet, it took around 30+ matches this weekend to get 10 wins. I've never seen such idiocy on my team - assault mechs with nothing but LRM's, teams that are ahead by THREE mechs finding a way to lose in the last minutes of the game... a spike in friendly fire... and let's not even go into the disconnects, the slow-mo games full of teleporting mechs, and so on. This weekend's even wasn't fun - it was a chore, and mathematically, it shouldn't have been. I win a few more games than I lose, on average, so it should not have taken 30+ games to get 10 wins... but the matchmaker does what it wants, and sometimes it just wants to bury you.

This, exactly this, is what has been happening to me. It isnt fun. at all.

#42 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

When I lose 5 i just log. MM is clearly trollling at that point....

#43 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostBudor, on 24 August 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I have lost 5+ games in a row countless times. Its really frustrating if you do top dmg/kills every single time and still lose but at least you can flame general chat and cry on the forums :)

It all comes down to communication. "Operation don't go anywhere near the middle" was a success was it not?

#44 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that dealt more damage.

#45 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostDibster, on 24 August 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that *brought more clan mechs*.

FTFY

#46 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that dealt more damage. was more aggressive.

Fixed.

#47 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Both tend to result as more damage done.

#48 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that dealt more damage Had more waffles for breakfast.

actually, the vast majority of games are won by whoever balls up harder.

#49 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

First off before any flaming: I am mature enough to accept that if people drop with good teams then they deserve to win and I have no issues over this.

I am wondering whether the players who are having a much more frustrating time trying to get wins have a high wins vs lost ratio maybe due to that they play in effective teams.

ELO is now taking its vengeance on you because this is a solo only event.

The statement above is only for hypothesis only and there is no hidden message by me regarding this.

Just trying to work out why this is happening and whether the solo only event and the frustrations are purposely done by PGI in order to obtain certain types of data/results

Cheers
Eboli

Edited by Eboli, 24 August 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#50 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 24 August 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Just let me ask ONE thing.

What was the common denominator in those matches?

Play the blame game all you want, but i have NEVER had a loosing streak past 5games and the times i did i was playing very poorly.

You must be from world of tanks hehe.

Seriously overall the individual is only 1 of 24 players and no matter how good a player you are, you only have a limited influence. Also I don't care how go you are, when you are on a team that just randomly scatters across the whole map, ignores warnings from scouts yelling at them they 6 enemy mechs have just flanked them and are coming from the rear and generally do just about everything they intentionally can to lose, your not going to carry hard enough turn that into a win.

Losses just happen or rather they should. What always gets me about ELO is that I am always concerned that it likes to set me up to lose. Overall I am sitting on about a 60% win rate and sometimes it just seems like I am set up to fail because I happen to be winning to much. Not sure if this is who it works or not but it sure feels like it at times.

#51 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

To those who are representing these elo numbers,where the hell are you pulling them from?

I dont see any in my stats

#52 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 24 August 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

To those who are representing these elo numbers,where the hell are you pulling them from?

I dont see any in my stats

I usually let my players roll 5D6, drop the lowest 2.

#53 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Actually, that is how it works according to what I've been reading around these forums. The system tries to keep your W/L at 1.00. Under such a mechanism, the game would indeed set you up to fail if you are winning too much.

#54 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hmmmmm.....
I had a thought... Actually for those who competed in the SOLO tournies...

Path to victory was under day in the offices... You can tip the balance in close games but not when 4-6 terribad/DCs in the team. Someone before used the term 'sabotage' on how MM balance things... That's a good analogy.

But in any case... I am still maintaining my positive W/L record... Screw MM and its 1:1 ratio ! :)

Edited by ShinVector, 24 August 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#55 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

My main tactic has been to use my Jenner F for it's high hardpoints, stick my nose over a ridge, alpha, get back into cover immediately. Swipe occasionally for the assists. Finish off people with exposed components. If I'm going to play 100 games for 50 wins, I might as well earn as many c-bills as I can and improve my K/D ratio while I'm at it. Normally I'd use NARC for maximizing earnings, but there's just too many kitfoxes around.

#56 Some Douche

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 24 August 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Thanks PGI, keep up the good work.

I wish I could be terrible at my job for years on end and still get paid.

#57 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostcSand, on 24 August 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

It is less that it is actively trying anything and more that if the system is working as it should, you should technically average out at 1.0 over a long enough period of time.

Guy, I had the displeasure of playing with you several times last night and watching you b**ch and moan the whole time.

Actually, I was enjoying myself immensely once I realized my theory was correct. The MM deliberately locks people in a circle of pain..

You were throwing matches, refusing to help out the team, and generally being a ****, from what I saw, so I can only assume that your whole spiel of "trying hard, making kills and working with the team" was a giant load of BS you are spouting to add credibility to your amazing "research".

Surprise....nope! I was hanging out with the team, shooting things, and amazingly, I tended to have assists on about as many kills as the team got, every match. I was spreading the good word- that the matchmaker is so badly programmed it makes it trivally easy with a skunked ELO to know which team will lose. The only "throwing" I did was building a Kit Fox with dual UAC/2's and lots of ammo. That is, a marginally bad build.

What were you trying to prove here? That if a player who totally sucks (based on low ELO. You may not suck but you were sucking on purpose to drive your ELO down), takes the worst possible weapon combo on a light mech out, that the team will have a better chance to lose? You could have saved yourself the trouble of griefing everyone and just asked anyone, cause literally anyone could have told you the same thing.

Nope again, and I love the QQ, by the way. I need more salt in my diet. "Worst possible" would have been strapping MGs and flamers on the thing. I averaged over 100 damage per game. And since I made sure the only games I used them were in this challenge, here's the stats.

Posted Image

There you go. 11 matches, 1,651 damage. Do believe that means I was doing...*gasp* about 150 damage per round! And I was making about 700xp per round spotting and using my UAV's! Not that in most cases anyone was actually functionally capable of taking advantage of said UAVs for basement levels of skill, but I was racking up the counter-ECM and UAV detection rewards like mad. Mastered my Kit Fox doing nothing but lose for two hours straight.

AS I understand it the matching is based off an ELO range, not absolute value. So, whether you were at 0 say, or the maximum amount in the "low range"... the actual number value doesn't matter. Obviously, players with a low ELO have to fit in somewhere and the game being as it is now, and you being in a light, allowed you to tossed in anywhere. Unfortunate reality for those new players who are still cutting their teeth.

As Mawai said before, if your the MM takes your teams average and expects you to lose... guess what? Your elo doesn't change when you lose. I want you to think about that delicious fact for a bit, and then reflect upon its implications for your "research".

Yep. More importantly, if you're in high demand, the MM will continue to shove you into "losing" teams anyway, ignoring W/L ratio. That is, a low ELO player will continue to be shoved into the worst possible matches once their ELO drops low enough, which is why we have people on this topic with 35-loss streaks. And well below 1:1 W/L ratios, I can pretty much guarantee.

Back on track though, at worst you were being used by the MM the same way that a brand new player who decides to pilot a light would be used. Now I'm not saying this is a great experience for new players either but what did you really expect to see? All you got was a glimpse of what life as a brand new player is like.

And the fact that you truly think the MM is complex enough to try to predetermine a winning side and then pick players to create that outcome... that in itself is reaching mind blowing levels of Posted Image

That's exactly what PGI's MM does. It builds a team it picks to win, and one it picks to lose. And that's straight from PGI. It doesn't do it in a complex way or even with finesse- it just attempts to deliberately skunk one team rather than put two relatively matched-by-skill groups together.

If you really were doing any kind of "research", you would make a brand new account, go through the 25 matches in a light, working your way through and playing like a man, and see where you end up. That at least presents a more realistic "test" environment thanyour artificial, self-made-to-suit-whatever-the-hell-your-point-was-supposed-to-be Saturday night adventure.

The matchmaker is a farce. I just pushed it until it broke so the results would be obvious.

The matchmaker wasn't sabotaging anything. YOU were.

See above. I mimicked your average poor light pilot- in fact, I likely did more, considering I was using UAVs like mad to try and give the PUGs some picture of what was going on- my average per match actually went up to 700xp/match during that whole death march. No suicide runs. I played competently, simply with weak weaponry- but not incapably.

I won't quote the middle finger bit- and incidentally, soon as I had my results, I swapped to more normal weaponry and climbed back out of the underhive with ease.

Posted Image

45/50 of those were Kit Foxes. Eight or so wins in, I cleared the "gravity well" and rapidly shot up to the usual queue, as Sandpit can attest to. The teams ceased to be that mix of abominable chassis and poor build that mark the dregs of the underhive, and the rest of the night was mostly spent with competent players blowing up bad ones.

Edited by wanderer, 24 August 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#58 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

I love how MM often shove multiple disconnects onto my team several times in a row. MM totally isn't trying to hide it.

#59 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that dealt more damage.

View Postlockwoodx, on 24 August 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that brought more clan mechs.

View PostCarrie Harder, on 24 August 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that was more aggressive.

View PostSqually160, on 24 August 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

actually, the vast majority of games are won by whoever balls up harder.

You're all talking about the same team.

#60 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

I had some issues with this challenge.

One of them being people disconnecting right from the start.
That cripples the team and even if the team wins, those players SHOULD NOT be awarded the win like the other active players should.

Other than that, until I reached the 50th win, I had a few exasperating losses streaks. But the funny thing was, as soon as I got my 50 wins, I had over 10 wins straight in Basic only 'mechs (while grinding xp for the Elite).

I mean, in some of those matches I made some obviously bad choices and got killed early despite my intentions, and the team still managed to win (granted if I use a light to make the enemy team turn their backs on my teams main force, even if I die, I know my death will bring 2-5 deaths on the enemies side).
My idea was to make only 1 or 2 to turn their backs, getting the whole enemy team to chase you in a light while your team crushes them from behind......... priceless :)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users