• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 24 August 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Just let me ask ONE thing.

What was the common denominator in those matches?

Play the blame game all you want, but i have NEVER had a loosing streak past 5games and the times i did i was playing very poorly.

What you said shouldn't matter - if one's utter bad, the MM and ELO sheet stuff should "compensate" for it and thus never, ever ending in that much defeats in a row.
Sounds flawed right?
Well... that's the idea of having that kinda things.
But believe it or not - people that are THAT bad are quite rare, the truth is the MM/ELO developed idea aint working - those two are aimaginary variables that don't take under account way too much things - most of those things to be honest can't really be calculated, cause depend on one's personal mood, alcoholic influence, the sun/wind/moon/weather outside, all the craszy stuff that are in one's mind/head, some religion thingies and etc.
You could never predict to 100% what one's about to do. Ever. You can only specualte.
With that in mind - you're put with 23 people to compete and play together - MM is sort of softening the differences based on some previous history, but that would never ever mean that you're guaranteed a victory.
And since we all know how forgiving this game is toward mistakes - defeats are way easier to "achieve" when the MM/ELO calculations go full tard.
Which, in my humble opinion, happen really often.

I probably have thousands of games where the MM were like "Ooooh lets put this guy with 11 people that kinda know how to aim - it would be totally fair and stuff". Nope.
Even if I do more than 1k damage, 5/6/7 kills, cap 2/3 points and etc. I can never win alone and that's one of the game core ideas.
And it just happens so.
And I'm not feeling angry, cause the end game score tells me how hard have I tried.
I don't go blaming this or that.
But they're people who don't see things like I do.
And, be honest here, they have really good reasons to do so.

You should feel lucky.
But don't hit those people with your luck hokay?
Yea. You are lucky.
Believe it or not - they are better players than you are and those who note stuff like this topic are not always the worst players there is.
Actually - in my observations - ordinary the better players are feeling really irritated from all this - you can see why.
I, even if I don't complain about it, am feeling sometimes tired of feeling obligated to carry my own team - that should not happen - it's a flawl of the MM/ELO stuff. And a big one at that.

#64 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

I suspect certain maps are glued to mechs.
I also think your odds of discoing a match are higher in a DD-C in alot of places and commado 2-d in alpine.

As for the above I play better for the 1st few hrs drinking.

Edited by SaltBeef, 25 August 2014 - 02:17 AM.

#65 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 25 August 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

I suspect certain maps are glued to mechs.
I also think your odds of discoing a match are higher in a DD-C in alot of places and commado 2-d in alpine.

As for the above I play better for the 1st few hrs drinking.

You're a man with a style <_<

#66 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

If I play the Boars head I will get terra therma / or caustic the most followed by Frozen city. Cataphrac canyon. Jester Tourmaline. Wahawk HPG manifold. seems to be a patten I have not fully figured out the Pattern yet

If it is a hot mech tad-da hot maps .
Short range mech you know your going to get Alpine peaks. I try field test every mech in terra therma.

Edited by SaltBeef, 25 August 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#67 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:54 AM

Got to love how the level of play from your team mates is higher when your a noobie than a high elo vet... MM at it's finest... The game should be renamed "Cary plebs online".

#68 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:07 AM

Is ELO mech specific?

Weight class specific. That is, light/medium/heavy/assault have their own ratings.

#69 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

View Postwanderer, on 25 August 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

Weight class specific. That is, light/medium/heavy/assault have their own ratings.

Yow bud <_<
With what you said in mind we can safely assume, that any quickdraw/dragon would totally match any TBR!
Cool stuff huh? :blink:

#70 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

View PostVoidcrafter, on 25 August 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

Yow bud <_<
With what you said in mind we can safely assume, that any quickdraw/dragon would totally match any TBR!
Cool stuff huh? :blink:

That is 1000% the case. Haven't you been paying attention?

#71 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 25 August 2014 - 04:40 AM, said:

That is 1000% the case. Haven't you been paying attention?

'Twas an irony - even if it sounds like big words and stuff I am willing to take on any mech up to a D-DC or/and DWF(sometimes that one too) 1v1 with my brawler TBR, providing that it's in my firing range.
My point was that MM should take those stuff into account if we're aiming for "fair"(whatever the hell that term means in MWO) balancing both the teams.

#72 Zerberoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 275 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

I did this event with my brand new Vindicator, like almost all the games, its ready to master with almost 43.000 XP once the other variants are out.
I felt like i lost 123 Games against the 41 Wins... untill i looked it up in my stats and it says...

ST. IVES' BLUES 89 44 45 0.98

0.98 W/L ratio, MM and ELO works quite well, its your mind that tricks you.

9 to go for the 6.5m C-Bills today <_<

#73 Tenacious B

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 43 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

I think PGI also uses events like this weekend's as ELO corrections. You won't get to 50 wins without a few win runs, followed by loss runs. Wins put you in with the high level players who will stomp you back down to your true ELO. Most of the pros were out in solo queue this weekend living up to their ELOs, and not creating threads like this.

#74 TamCoan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

Because of the 7-day premium time I ended up queuing my lights for part of the day yesterday. (I have 9 lights which I have never gotten out of basic so my ELO rating for that weight class should be pretty low.) It really was amazing to see the difference in how people play at lower ELO vs. higher. (My medium/heavy/assault should be pretty high based on my damage, w/l and kdr ratios.)

With the lights I saw so many people suicide, die to lrm spam, shoot random hills and chase jenners. Less ECM, less concentrated fire and less communication. I even got kills running locusts. I also realized that most people don't know how to un-zoom in a fight. After a death I would watch random teammates play and could never understand how they would try to fight in melee range with full zoom. One of the most entertaining things to watch was an atlas trying to hide over a hill in 3pv. His little camera was always bobbing over the hill crest so we would just flank him and take potshots at him while he moved back and forth. Pure comedy gold.

Made me appreciate how much harder my competition is in the other weight classes.

Edited by TamCoan, 25 August 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#75 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Current set up playing fairly and not trying to suicide farm and reconnecting when disco'd I will win 10 matches in 3.5hrs of almost constant pug game play over 2 days figuring this out not so bad when there is a challenge not offered.,
6.5 million C-Bills I think I have harvested 10 or 11 million pugging for the 1st two challenges. <_< Minus a few modifications.

Edited by SaltBeef, 25 August 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#76 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

LOL!

#77 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 24 August 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

"If you leave them behind"...hmm....Now, I realize that I'm not in the uber-top tier of the Elo like you must be, but at my level in the Solo queue, most of your assaults (except for Dire Whales) tend to be LRM boats. And, not the kind of LRM boats that will actually get their own targets...LRM Boats that expect everyone else to just stand there and take it while they fling spam into the air.

So, you'll pardon me if I "leave behind" someone that hasn't got a clue how to unzoom or fixates on a single target until he gets facerolled. I'll do better not getting facerolled next to him.
I have a busy day ahead of me, but I caught this in my last moments on this forum, and have to comment.

This is not a fair statement. You know there are going to be LRM players, LRMs are a legitimate part of the gaming scene, and if you have LRM boats -because everyone hates LRMs because they get more warnings and shake your cockpit a little bit, boo-hoo, even though they do less damage and hit less often than ANY other weapon in the game- out in the forefront, getting their own targets, they are soon dead, period. It's not a matter of how good or bad you are as an LRM pilot, if you run LRMs you are hunted, period.

However, you jackasses can't even do your jobs without LRMs distracting your targets and shaking cockpits, so you might as well get some locks on some targets, shouldn't you? That "R" key is your best friend, and I'll guarant-damn-tee you right now, if you didn't have LRM carriers and boats out there shaking cockpits for you, and your opponent did, you would die ignominiously, never knowing why. So, while I do not expect anyone to stand on a hill like a dummy -movement = life- I do expect that, if you want some help from your missile lobbin' pals, such as me, you're going to lock your frackin' targets.

All of that being said, I do try to get my own targets when I can, because Light drivers and anyone who throws rocks at bad guys are useless at it, leaving out a majorly important element of ANY drop, and when I see streams of missiles going to other targets, I find the next target that doesn't have streams of missiles going to it, and I lock on and fire. If I see a 'Mech off on its own, fighting a bad guy, I'll try to give our guy, whether PUG or pre-made with me, a chance against it, especially if it's one of our Lights, because I know how important they can be. I also don't rest on my laurels if I lose lock to my target, which many of you non-disrupting ECM types seem to let slip so often, I find another one and continue to rock-and-roll until I'm racks dry, and then I get out there with my one ER Large or my three Medium Lasers and do what I can until I get killed.

So, someone said to you earlier that you need to get off your high horse, and I agree with that statement, even if for a completely different reason than he said. You need LRMs to shake cockpits, and we need you to lock targets as often as you can. Oh, and the longer you can hold the target without getting spanked, the better, please? If you're not seen, yet, don't lock a target, fire once, ignore the opponent's response if there is any, and move on to a new target. The more missile sets that I fire and miss, the more likely you or another team mate is going to die because of the stupidity of turning and running like a little ***** when it's not necessary.

I can't believe how much hatred there is for LRM-boat drivers, and guys who just use LRMs, in this community. You are shunning one of your team's greatest assets, free damage on bad guys. The other day, I had FIVE 'Mechs very nearly cored out before each lock was lost. I didn't sweat over it, I just switched targets and continued working for the win but, guess what? Even though I got my one kill, and could have had five others, had LOCKS not been LOST right at the last strokes, we LOST the match, anyway, because a bunch of light and rock jockies tried going for their own individual glory, rather than trying to play for the team. So, the next time you hate on LRM-boats and users, and you lose a match, I want you to take a look and consider if there were any way you might possibly have helped your LRM guys keep locks a bit longer and, perhaps, HELP YOU take out a bad guy. LRM-boat drivers and users get the fewest kills in this game, second only to poorly-driven Light's, and sometimes I think it's pretty even at that, since the little cowards can get in behind a 'Mech and stay there, not even giving the opposing pilot an opportunity to really defend themselves, even with torso twist speed enhancements; dead, shot in the back. So, when you rock monkies get kills that were almost completely primed by a LRM-boat, be grateful we're there and drive on.

When I drive my LRM boats, I keep in mind I am there for the team, there to drop suppressive fire and keep the opponent's heads down so you light-show hosts can maneuver into better positions and kill them, and I know many other LRM-boat drivers are coming to the same conclusion, and working for the same goal, the ULTIMATE team position. So, you need to be grateful when someone is trying to allow you time to maneuver and get into position to destroy the opposition, rather than cursing how we work and the things we do. Those who don't, and I end up getting killed because they were too stupid to use the free firepower I wield, end up losing the game for the rest of us. I know I'm going to get burned, more often than not, and I don't mind that, but it would be nice if you would utilize we support 'Mechs for what we're supposed to be doing, instead of ignoring us, cursing us, and trying to win the game all on your own. You want to talk about playing for and with a team, well then let's play as if each part of that twelve-person team (PUG or premade) is actually a valuable member, rather than a parasite and a blight, shall we.

Now I'm late.

#78 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

I love to play Lurm mechs tag on some Line of sight on others and I have saved butts pounding mechs taking on weaker teammates.

Tip if you are brawling an atlas in a centurion and he just blew your ac20 arm off ....hit the r key and make sure he is targeted so that he may fall from teammates lurms afar if your quick enough. Some lurmers bring back up weapons Laser / Ballistic helping to core targets while lurming them

Edited by SaltBeef, 25 August 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#79 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

From my experience the more or less balanced battles, where the teams are a good match, happen about 1 out of 5-6 matches in average. Other times it's more of a steamroll, either on my side, or the enemy's.
I really try find pleasure in all this diversity))) Being outmatched is a kind of a great challenge)) Rolling enemy team flat is not bad either.
But I'd prefer balanced matches, nothing is better than two teams worth each other)

#80 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostDuncan Jr Fischer, on 25 August 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

From my experience the more or less balanced battles, where the teams are a good match, happen about 1 out of 5-6 matches in average. Other times it's more of a steamroll, either on my side, or the enemy's.
I really try find pleasure in all this diversity))) Being outmatched is a kind of a great challenge)) Rolling enemy team flat is not bad either.But I'd prefer balanced matches, nothing is better than two teams worth each other)

IMO the more Timberwolves in the matches, the more the match was a PITA! Their issue was the constant stream of LRMs + their high pp FLD. Dodging LRMs kept having my run into their lasers.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users