11 replies to this topic

#1 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:20 AM

How does this sound? New map concept that is basically a FOB, a lot of military elements, but being a modern and contested FOB, it's not an impenetrable fortress.

One team drops in around the base (not completely spread out, but not together either, standard drop formations) and the other team the same but inside the FOB. Structures can keep either team from immediately coalescing before the other.

The map can be as big as HPG to include environmental elements around the base or small like forest colony to have minimal natural elements and be mostly the base.

Skirmish is obvious.
Assault, exterior team's base can be the edges of an off-map dropship. Interior team's base can be in a location in the FOB but extreme offset opposite the other.
Conquest, resource points can be both internal and external to the FOB.

Thoughts?

#2 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Well, it's an interesting idea. The hard part would simply be balancing it so each team has equal chance. As it is, having one side start with a full base is already making it very asymmetrical. I'm all for that, but I can imagine the forum reaction, and it'd probably suit the 'attack/defend' game mode rather than a straight up skirmish.

That said, I think we're still focusing on the wrong types of maps. Maps need to be more open and expansive, rather than these smaller, arena maps that belong in Solaris. Just my opinion, though. ;)

#3 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 26 August 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

Well, it's an interesting idea. The hard part would simply be balancing it so each team has equal chance. As it is, having one side start with a full base is already making it very asymmetrical. I'm all for that, but I can imagine the forum reaction, and it'd probably suit the 'attack/defend' game mode rather than a straight up skirmish.

That said, I think we're still focusing on the wrong types of maps. Maps need to be more open and expansive, rather than these smaller, arena maps that belong in Solaris. Just my opinion, though. ;)

I get that, so make it larger and include more natural elements surrounding the base. Also, the base is static/passive so what's an obstacle for the external team is the same as an obstacle for the internal team as well. Put bases/resource points on both sides of the wall and there's your symmetry.

Terra Nove has also shows us time and again, fighting in the center (base) isn't always the best option. Not anymore.

#4 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

What's an FOB?

#5 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 26 August 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

What's an FOB?

It's the little plastic thing they give you to tap against the door in an apartment building so it can let you in.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

What's an FOB?

Forward Operating Base

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cdlord, 26 August 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#7 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

What's an FOB?

forward operating base. A secured forward position for further tactical operations...

Interesting idea for a map, but I get the feeling these types of maps will arrive with the arrival of the asymmetrical game mode (http://mwomercs.com/theplan#1.12.14) but I think that PGI plan to use Merc Corps dropships as on the ground assets that can be destroyed but essentially act as massive turrets whilst on the ground. (http://mwomercs.com/theplan#1.12.14.33)

Edited by Blackfang, 26 August 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#8 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

Question for hardcore BT fans:

Do bases, fortresses and FOBs in Battletech have bunkers, walls, pillboxes, guntowers and similar fortifications that have the proper dimensions for mechs to use? Seeing as how important mechs are for warfare in the BT universe, I'd expect fortifications to be scaled so mechs could make proper use of them, instead of running out on the open battle field or standing inside, waiting, like in medieval combat.

Then again, tabletop games tend not to make sense.

#9 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 26 August 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

Do bases, fortresses and FOBs in Battletech have bunkers, walls, pillboxes, guntowers and similar fortifications that have the proper dimensions for mechs to use? Seeing as how important mechs are for warfare in the BT universe, I'd expect fortifications to be scaled so mechs could make proper use of them, instead of running out on the open battle field or standing inside, waiting, like in medieval combat.

Well, there is the mobile command center, MASH truck, and artillery pieces....

Mobile_HQ

MASH_Truck

Mobile_Long_Tom

#10 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 26 August 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

Yes, there are bases like you expect. They are sometimes called by unusual names as well.

Castles. Nope, not what you think. These are not stone forts with a drawbridge. These are family owned military bases that are used for the household troops and the family mechs that gives that family it's right to rule the local area.

Castles Brian. These are secret underground storehouses that the Star League used to hide military equipment locally to speed up their ability to put down rebellions. They are all over the place, and while nearly all of them have been cleaned out, but when one would be discovered all hell would break loose.

Bases for Mechs often resembel vehicle assembly buildings used by NASA (mostly because the first artwork was a re-touched VAB from Cape Canaveral)

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 26 August 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

has any one tried the new map in the public test?

I know I did four times

Davegt27

#12 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Greetings all,

If not for the copy write on the images and belonging to Crysis this could be a great start for a base designed for Mech sized elements.
New Roland map from MW:LL

Posted Image

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 04 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users