Does Anyone Else Experience Piloting A Nova As Very 'feast Or Famine'?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

I've been resisting outfitting my Novas like ghetto Stormcrows, because that just emphasizes how similar the Nova-Stormcrow relationship is to the Summoner-Timber Wolf relationship :ph34r:.

But there's really only so much you can do with the hardpoints...

What have your experiences with the Nova been?

#2 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Pretty much. Sometimes you get to gloriously punch people in the crotch with your fistful of yellow pew pew justice, and other times you just get eaten alive by pinpoint fire.

#3 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

I guess it's just the fate of a brawler.... ?

I mean, I could try something along the lines of 2x ERPPCs with a bunch of Slas and just resign myself to being a sub-par sniper wiith an ideally-never-used set of backup slas... ?

#4 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

UAC10.

4xMGs.
Shield side and dakka face-pounding.

Entertaining anyway.

Otherwise.... pack the ERLLs, hang WAY back and slice + dice. Not much else for it.

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Those low-slung weapons are what really do it in. However, if it was arranged like a Blackjack it would absolutely devastate.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

The Novas were my fastest elited mechs ever. But that was probably because I equipped and played them as leggers and backstabbers. :ph34r:

#7 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

Definitely feast or famine for me as I am an aggressive player.

I run them either with 12 Clan small lasers or six Clan small lasers with 4 Clan ER Medium lasers (on one arm)

Small lasers have a much faster recharge rate and can be absolutely devastating in dishing out 24 damage half alphas every couple of seconds (don't have MWO to be precise so forgive me if slightly incorrect). Only issue is that you need to get close range.

Run with Targeting Computer 1 and weapon module where you can reach out to 300m for reduced damage. Looking forward to Level 5 weapon modules as I think the Nova will come into it own with the extra reach.

Left the MGs capability off.

Just don't be the first mech the enemy sees when the brawling starts.

Hope this helps!
Eboli

Edited by Eboli, 20 August 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#8 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostEboli, on 20 August 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Just don't be the first mech the enemy sees when the brawling starts.
Yeah, it's best to engage a distracted or isolated target, but that isn't always possible/practical.

#9 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

It seems like it will do well in the same place the 4P does; hang back with some assaults, wait for the party to get rolling, move in and go 'SURPRISE!' and make with the surprizebuttsecks. Leave a $20 on the nightstand and on to the next.

#10 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

I was just starting to fart around with them when the er ll nerf came so will have to wait and see still have not found solid build yet. Did go to pulses and lots of mg, s see what happens in time I guess. I like all the clan chassis by far the best pgi has put out so far. I do hope to see the other 8 invasion mechs soon for sale they are all built for speed less firepower than the 1st 8.

Edited by SaltBeef, 21 August 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#11 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yup. Feast or famine sums it up in a phrase.  10 smalls 2 mediums,  4 mgs. I'm a backstabbing, leg gnawing machine. But God help me if I'm seen before I can do some work. People KNOW to bring nova's down asap (big ass a timber wolf squishy as a hunchback) and they are not hard to cripple.  Most mechs now a days can 1 shot my Popeye sized arms off.
All that said, it's still fun to roll in. Just.... have to play like a light.... in a 50 ton medium.

Edited by Yiazmat, 20 August 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#12 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

I never had a feast in a nova. For me its as bad as a summoner.Its not worth using. I still do better with an IS hawk.

#13 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

I'm considering some torso-weapon only builds with those big shield arms. Anyone have any luck with that? Just so little tonnage to play with....

#14 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:50 AM

I would say nova's life would be difficult in solo. Because solo mode, MM like to make high elo carry low elo. So if you have high elo, you literally will have to carry your team in a CLOSE range MEDIUM mech, which is probably THE worst combination to start the neutral poking game.

You can't wait for your team mate to gain advantage or even stalemate during the initial long range poking game, because those are your low elo team mate getting blown up.

Edited by pulupulu, 21 August 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#15 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Most Clan mechs are bad at close and medium range due to speed and handling, why would you give away your long range advantage.
I have mucked about alot in Nova and tried a many different builds, but still have a Mech that works great at long range and with close range backup to deal with light mechs and fast punches.

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

PLayed right, and outfitted right it's a beast.

Played badly...and yea it sucks...it's a very niche mech

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostSephlock, on 20 August 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I've been resisting outfitting my Novas like ghetto Stormcrows, because that just emphasizes how similar the Nova-Stormcrow relationship is to the Summoner-Timber Wolf relationship :ph34r:. But there's really only so much you can do with the hardpoints... What have your experiences with the Nova been?

Still better than fellow 50 ton HBK. At least Nova gets to keep 50% of the weapon when the right side blows, while HBK might even die to loss of single ST. And the Nova is also decent long range fighter.

Edited by El Bandito, 21 August 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#18 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 August 2014 - 01:12 AM, said:

Still better than fellow 50 ton HBK. At least Nova gets to keep 50% of the weapon when the right side blows, while HBK might even die to loss of single ST. And the Nova is also decent long range fighter.

I'd take one on one with a nova in my grid iron anyday.. ..almost instant pinpoint damage, faster and more maneuverable few years of experience piloting one..

Still I like nova, prob coz don't have other clan mechs :ph34r:

#19 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

I've interestingly grown quite fat on the dividends of my Nova... :ph34r:

Here's the thing IMHO... It's a medium mech that fights like a heavy, which in turn creates a mistaken dichotomy where pilots tend to pilot it like a heavy. Problem is, it's still only a medium, thus it dies like a medium.

​The well trained and cautious Nova pilot is the epitome of a "opportunist".... A Nova pilot is the the battlefield equivalent of a vulture, looking for damaged stragglers and or pilots locked into an engagement with another pilot, where it lend it's copious amounts of focused firepower to the fight.

The Nova pilot who presses like they are a front-line heavy will quickly find themselves dead or severely hampered due to aggregate damage.

#20 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:19 AM

Every match can be feast or famine... Just depends on at what point one runs into the enemy death ball.... :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users