Discouraging Patch Time

30 replies to this topic

#1 Arakam

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

Me and 2 of my friend were early adopter of MWO. We are family man that enjoys playing and set aside a 3 hours period on two nights a week. We love to play MWO, but if there is a new patch that one of us didn't install, we usually have to skip playing MWO.

It takes a huge amount of time to go through a patch. The last one I did was of 128MB download and took 10 minutes to install???? I can download and install a new version of Diablo 3 in 15??? My macine is starting to be old, but I downloaded the patch in less then a minute. Why do you need 9 minutes to install? Not only is it long to install, but during the install and finalize process everything is super slow.

Any chance of finally looking into this long patching method you are using. I really think it is hurting your chances of getting people on board. I know that if I was not that much of fan of MWO, I would have dropped the game just because of this patching nightmare.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

This game's patching process certainly isn't the most enjoyable...it also eats up so much CPU that any other program being run (even just something small like an internet browser) get slowed way down. I think the "best" way to deal with this would be to try to patch the game while you're busy doing something else entirely.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

Wow, you skip playing MWO just cause you can't wait 9 minutes? That's only 1 match worth of time.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 September 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#4 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

On the one hand. The patcher is really bad. It just eats up CPU and takes longer then a patcher should. On the other hand. You stopped playing because you had to wait 9 minutes?

Patience. Do you have it?

Edited by Tezcatli, 27 September 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#5 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

If you hate the patcher that much, just uninstall and reinstall?

The reason, AFAIK, that the patcher eats CPU that much is because it rebuilds a lot of existing files to modify, and add to, their data. This is done to minimize the patch size.

The obvious solution is to just wipe the files and force downloading the whole client. But then you might actually take longer than just patching to begin with......

#6 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostFupDup, on 27 September 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

This game's patching process certainly isn't the most enjoyable...it also eats up so much CPU that any other program being run (even just something small like an internet browser) get slowed way down. I think the "best" way to deal with this would be to try to patch the game while you're busy doing something else entirely.

...What?
Admittedly, my rig is fairly powerful, but the longest i ever waited for patch was 3 minutes. And i was playing FFXIV while watching anime at the same time ...

#7 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostArakam, on 27 September 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Me and 2 of my friend were early adopter of MWO. We are family man that enjoys playing and set aside a 3 hours period on two nights a week. We love to play MWO, but if there is a new patch that one of us didn't install, we usually have to skip playing MWO.

It takes a huge amount of time to go through a patch. The last one I did was of 128MB download and took 10 minutes to install???? I can download and install a new version of Diablo 3 in 15??? My macine is starting to be old, but I downloaded the patch in less then a minute. Why do you need 9 minutes to install? Not only is it long to install, but during the install and finalize process everything is super slow.

Any chance of finally looking into this long patching method you are using. I really think it is hurting your chances of getting people on board. I know that if I was not that much of fan of MWO, I would have dropped the game just because of this patching nightmare.

10 minutes is not a huge amount of time.

#8 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

Posted Image

#9 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

erm....is this post really complaining about 10 minutes spent once every 2 weeks? Are you sitting there staring at the patcher while it makes your game better? Do you also watch paint dry?

Seriously, the mind reels.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Posted Image

#11 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

dude it takes me an hour to patch sometimes. this is not something to complain about

#12 Arakam

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

I have 3 hours twice a week to spend with friends online. My point was not that we can't wait 10 minutes. It's more that because it takes 10 minutes, bog's your system down and we have other choices, we just play something else if one of us didn't think of doing the update before we meet.

When I am alone and I have 30 minutes to spare, if there is a patch to be done I just don't start it and go play something else. Then at the end of my short session I will start the patch. It's that type of scenario that I think can hurt MWO. If I have more time I will probably go grab something to drink or eat while patching and painfully do some surfing until it finishes.

This is the ONLY game who has such a painful patch system. If it would at least let you play something else while it patch, we would get back to it, but it doesn't. We also have no clue if a patch will take 2 minutes (it does happen rarely) or 10 minutes.

#13 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostArakam, on 28 September 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

I have 3 hours twice a week to spend with friends online. My point was not that we can't wait 10 minutes. It's more that because it takes 10 minutes, bog's your system down and we have other choices, we just play something else if one of us didn't think of doing the update before we meet.

When I am alone and I have 30 minutes to spare, if there is a patch to be done I just don't start it and go play something else. Then at the end of my short session I will start the patch. It's that type of scenario that I think can hurt MWO. If I have more time I will probably go grab something to drink or eat while patching and painfully do some surfing until it finishes.

This is the ONLY game who has such a painful patch system. If it would at least let you play something else while it patch, we would get back to it, but it doesn't. We also have no clue if a patch will take 2 minutes (it does happen rarely) or 10 minutes.

You know the patch is every Tuesday, just fire up the client and hit patch? The patching system in this game is okay. If you want a patching experience try Star Citizen.... Lol. You'll be there A LOT longer than 10 minutes.

Seriously they minimize the patch size, and rebuilds the existing file base. 10 minutes is not that much. Make a point to fire up the client when you get off work on Tuesday.

What do you say when War Thunder has to download a patch and it ' analyzes files' forever.

#14 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

It IS something to complain about actually!
Poorly optimized.
And the ever secret suggestion "run the repair tool. An overnight event

I am LOVING the way things are turning. I feel finally the game may well be here a year from now.
However we're a long ways off to a smooth running game.
Maps need a going over as well.
Most maps I get 50fps......however a couple of maps, the new one, river city. in SPOTS I go into low teens...walk out of that spot and its normal again?

the guy had a b*tch and got jumped?

Last night given a choice of MWO, WOT or movies...i went with movies-

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 September 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Wow, you skip playing MWO just cause you can't wait 9 minutes? That's only 1 match worth of time.

time to grab a sandwich, a beverage, take a piss, etc.

#16 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Know you're going to hang with your friend? Start the patcher ahead of time. Unless you guys are playing Tuesday evening, there's no reason you can't at the very least run the patcher before you head to bed or finish up with something else.

Several other games have the same issue with patching, they just go about it differently and don't bother asking if you want to patch, they just start patching when you start up the client. Doesn't take any less time, it may just feel like it.

10 minutes is nothing, really.

#17 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Get home from work, turn on PC, start patcher, go take a shower, eat dinner with the fam, play peek a boo with the kids, put them to bed, pleasure the old lady. There is a good 9 min schedule for you :) now log in and play :P

#18 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

Patches can take a while (10+ minutes) sometimes but i never have a resource issue on my PC. I'm usually trolling these forums, watching movies, and chatting with friends simultaneously....

#19 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm sure this shouldn't be news for any adult gamer who's played more than one game...but patches are usually much longer and worse than MWO's...EVE, I have to run the repair tool at least 3-4 times every patch, and that usually fails, then I have to reinstall anyway...

Seriously, an adult without the patience for at max, ten mins? Not trying to be rude...just...a bit shocked, I expect this from the internet generation that grew up with iphones, not a self-professed "family man"... Blame your internet speed being restricted by IPOs and the gov't, not the game. While it may not be the fastest patcher out there, it is by no means whatsoever anywhere near the slowest, that's just blatant exaggeration...

#20 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

Take a dump and grab a beer. By the time you do both, you'll be patched.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users