14 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny Red

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • Locationcincinnati

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

so after numerous, rage-inducing, death-resulting battles, i think i've found my feet with the cataphract - 3d. now, i just need a little feedback/advice on the build i currently use.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62c607c95106bf8

any feedback/advice is appreciated.

Edited by Gunny Red, 06 September 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#2 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

looks nice to me, but my advice is adding atleast one jump jet.

#3 Garandos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 196 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

Could try this for some jump sniping fun

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6a8412e9dd4cfad

Just stay close to your teams flanks and take shots at advancing enemys

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

The build is solid, but once you get confident enough with your aim you should replace those LBX's with something more lethal.

#5 Gunny Red

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • Locationcincinnati

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 06 September 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

The build is solid, but once you get confident enough with your aim you should replace those LBX's with something more lethal.

what would be a possible alternative? what would i have to change/sacrifice? i chose the lbx's for their cooldown allowing the same damage as an ac20 with almost twice the refire rate. i considered 2 ac10's. thoughts?

#6 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostGunny Red, on 06 September 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

what would be a possible alternative? what would i have to change/sacrifice? i chose the lbx's for their cooldown allowing the same damage as an ac20 with almost twice the refire rate. i considered 2 ac10's. thoughts?

Ignore the LB haters. While not as effective against 'Mechs with mint armor, it's a very strong weapon at short to mid range against exposed components, expecially when chain fired.

You might want to downgrade to 2 LLs for a slightly better heat efficiency though - Alternatively, one LL, 3 MLs a heatsink and one JJ to get some more close range potential and jumping, but slightly hotter.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f483c4b4c2bce9

Edited by SethAbercromby, 06 September 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#7 Gunny Red

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • Locationcincinnati

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 06 September 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

You might want to downgrade to 2 LLs for a slightly better heat efficiency though - Alternatively, one LL, 3 MLs a heatsink and one JJ to get some more close range potential and jumping, but slightly hotter.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f483c4b4c2bce9

i'll give this a go. tried something similar to this a while ago, but a slight different config.

#8 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 06 September 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Ignore the LB haters.

If you have good aim the LBX becomes inferior to just about every other ballistic.

LBX works, as in you click, it fires and does some damage, but its not efficient damage.

Always comes down to your aim though. If you are missing half your shots with AC5's or 10's, or just spreading the damage too much anyway, LBX's may not be a bad idea for you.

View PostGunny Red, on 06 September 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

You could replace them with UAC5's and add two medium lasers. Two AC10's are fun but with both ERLL things will get hot quickly.

Edited by Roughneck45, 06 September 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#9 Gunny Red

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • Locationcincinnati

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 06 September 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

You could replace them with UAC5's and add two medium lasers. Two AC10's are fun but with both ERLL things will get hot quickly.

i have both uac5's and ac10's available. my aim isn't too bad so i'll check into these configs as well. to trim down on heat, i'll reconsider the 2 erll's and drop to regular LL's. since i like to hang around med to med-long range (350 - 550) i was skeptical on med lzrs. sooner or later everyone gets close tho so its probably a better idea than i though to load a few. i don't see much use in the way of lrg pulses. any reason for that?

Edited by Gunny Red, 06 September 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#10 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

CTF-3D
One of my olschool favorites if you like gauss rifles.

#11 Gunny Red

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • Locationcincinnati

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 06 September 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

CTF-3D
One of my olschool favorites if you like gauss rifles.

was watching a vid by TheB33f - The BOOMphract. can't use that setup anymore but looked like that was a deadly config. (3 gauss)

#12 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

You could swap out one of the LB10Xs for an AC10 and you'd have the same amount of shots (not chainfiring) as you have with the LB10X x2. I've killed opponents using a single LB10X at long ranges so they're good either way.

The suggestions about swapping the ER LL for LL are only for those who aren't able to control their heat but good suggestions nonetheless. Pulse Lasers unload their damage in shorter bursts at shorter ranges compared to the prolonged Laser burst. Same rate of fire but you don't have to hold the pulse laser on the target as long as you do with the regular lasers.

So if you wanted you could swap out the two large lasers for a few medium pulse lasers for 24 damage instead of 18. and you'd have extra tonnage freed up for adding a few more heatsinks if needed/wanted.

#13 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

I'm driving this one with AC for medranges and this one for close in action
Since Hitreg sucks on me like ..... its just meh.
So in my dmg and D/K stats the use of AC10 or LB-X does no real difference if you know how and when to use those weapons.
On Paper the PP firepower of dual AC10s is to be prefered but....yea don't have the feeling mechs are in the place where I'm seeing them.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

A lot of good advice here, and so I will only add one thing

If you need a bit more weight, the head and empty arm are there to strip armor from.
(I usually run my head armor <10 )

#15 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostGunny Red, on 06 September 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

Jumpy Brawler

try this if you have 2.6 mil c-bills to spare,pretty solid brawler.

View PostGunny Red, on 06 September 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

was watching a vid by TheB33f - The BOOMphract. can't use that setup anymore but looked like that was a deadly config. (3 gauss)

you can use 2 gauss 2 ppc on the 3D,but it will only have 192 armor (255 XL as a engine)

Edited by Cookiemonter669, 06 September 2014 - 09:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users