46 replies to this topic

#41 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostGoose, on 03 September 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

I wondered if there weren't' some "green apples & pears" issue in that line …

Maybe there's not enough Car and Driver in your diet. :P

Let my subscription lapse about a year ago, but they're right down the road from me in Ann Arbor.

#42 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

… When I think of all them '80s issues I got rid of, during that last move …

#43 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

So I completely forgot to run hwinfo during my testing on my old machine - fail. The Windows CPU monitor always showed 6 threads at 50% or higher when playing MWO, though. So speculation aside, a quick initial test run on my new system shows 9 threads over 50% utilization when running hwinfo and fraps. Minimum frame rates are also way higher, and the CPU is at stock speed right now (which is an 800MhZ deficit - 3.6GhZ stock compared to my 2600K at 4.4GhZ). First impression: 6 cores/12 threads probably has some actual merit with this game. Another thing to note there is that average and max frame rates are only slightly higher.

Unfortunately, real test results will have to wait. I have a bad stick of RAM that had to be pulled so the system is only in triple-channel instead of quad-channel, and I will need to completely reset to BIOS before I can do testing (since testing the effect of the RAM is something I wanted to do to show how useless it is to fret over RAM speed after a certain point).

#44 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

My pentium G3258 am cry.

this is what a match looks like for me:

185 fps in the start screen

during the match the fps tanks further and further as more fights happen, goes low as the 50's according to afterburner (even lower probably as the fps afterburner displays is still an average), then gets back up as mechs die off.
Cpu use is always very high, gpu use goes as low as 30% as the cpu can't keep up.
Posted Image

#45 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Minimum 50, you say, on Teh Duel-Core-K? With what other tuning?

#46 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostFire and Salt, on 30 August 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

@Goose:
Thanks for taking the time to plug all that stuff into the calculator there.

I was thinking that 750w would still be enough if i decided to get a 2nd video card. PC Part Picker seems to think it is sufficient for 2 video cards, but the program you used would likely indicate otherwise.

And, I was concerned about the heat from the video cards to be sure... I was thinking that this extremely well ventilated case might help that situation. I figured that the extra case heat would be no problem for the CPU with the large cooling system that I was looking at.

If the case would help mitigate the heat from the graphics cards, that would be a 1 time purchase, so there is some advantage to that.

If you are thinking of getting a 2nd card, then ditch the 770 and go with a 780Ti for $669 on Newegg. I have the EVGA Superclocked Reference Cooler version 2883-KR. I run three monitors on this, with max settings at 60 fps. You will beenfit more with that card, than two 770's. Heat would be the lesser of the issues, as most mid range MB's in SLI/Crossfire kick back to x8 with the second card added.

#47 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostGoose, on 14 September 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

Minimum 50, you say, on Teh Duel-Core-K? With what other tuning?

This is just one match, if I run 10 I'll probably see high 40's.

Anyway, settings all low, apart from textures (medium).
Overclocked to 4.7 GHz, memory timings lowered from cl 9 to cl 7 (H81 board doesnt do memory overclocks)
Windows power plan on high performance
Nvidia control panel: "prefer max performance" thingy. (keeps the gpu clocks on max)

Edited by Flapdrol, 14 September 2014 - 11:27 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users