Single Player Hype

15 replies to this topic

#1 Darkside7777

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

The mention of possibly adding single player to the game has sent my hype levels off the charts. I don't know about you guys, but one of my favorite things to do in the older mechwarrior games was to play skirmish mode against bots. If thats all they added in for single player, I would be extremely happy.

Single player is fun because you don't have to worry about dealing with the latest meta builds, and you can run jank builds of your own. I would finally be able to use fun weapons like the lbx without feeling like I'm gimping myself competitively.

PLEASE go through with it and make single player a reality!

#2 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

If it would be a seperate Game without connection to MWO ok.

MWO with singleplayer mode. No.
I like to play with other robots who are driven by other people.

Edited by nonnex, 09 September 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#3 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

I think, while an exciting prospect, everyone needs to just calm down a bit about this, given that its still nothing but a vague possibility until CW is done. Even with some finger in the air estimation, I don't see how it will even be a thing until 2016 at earliest.

#4 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

PvE missions maybe, although that requires adding a complete SP game to MWO.

When we were discussing a MechWarrior MMO, in those years before MWO and after MW4 Mercs we were thinking of something like EVE for space transit and mission giving, but the PvP for Territory and assets would be with Mechs on planets. No space combat, at least not at first, but would open the possibility of actual Merc Units with their own Dropships and assets based out of Outreach. To make all that work some level of NPC Bots and AI's need to be available for needed interactions. So if that's what they mean by SP, that would be awesome.

#5 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

View Postnonnex, on 09 September 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

If it would be a seperate Game without connection to MWO ok.

If they can make a good co-op mode it would be awesome.

#6 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostNextGame, on 09 September 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

I think, while an exciting prospect, everyone needs to just calm down a bit about this, given that its still nothing but a vague possibility until CW is done. Even with some finger in the air estimation, I don't see how it will even be a thing until 2016 at earliest.

Realistically, I'm going to throw my two cents in and say it won't be until 2017. And that's IF the community keeps supporting this game (as Russ mentioned many times), and IF the game is still good for business and bringing in money.

#7 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

View Postnonnex, on 09 September 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

A very shortsighted an unimaginative view as to what a storyline campaign could be... Well done in regards to that I guess.

There is this thing called coop which is this super new idea no game has ever tried before...

#8 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

So planetary conquest. The general assumption is that factions will battle over a planet, and each victory they get in a game will add +X points to a threshold they need to conquer that planet. If that is the case, then SP and MP games could both contribute to that point total. DCMS wins a 12v12 MP battle on Luthien? +80 conquest points or something. Alternatively, a 4-man DCMS lance drops into a SP PvE match to fight against enemy AI assets. They have to kill a particular enemy 'Mech that represents an enemy general or something. If they succeed, +80 conquest points. Maybe taking certain planets could adjust what level of AI defenses you have. If you conquer a place like Hesperus or Victoria, your AI defenses get bumped up a tier or something or it increases the points required to take a planet. I know a lot of people like having human opponents on the end of their autocannon barrels, but a lot of people also like a bit of immersion in their game (that is indeed the primary reason most people play video games). Most MMOs have a healthy mix of PvP and PvE, I don't see why MW:O should avoid that.

Edited by August Immanuel, 09 September 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#9 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

View Postlartfor, on 09 September 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

A very shortsighted an unimaginative view as to what a storyline campaign could be... Well done in regards to that I guess.

There is this thing called coop which is this super new idea no game has ever tried before...

Could be, could be my friend. But to much imagination and uncontrolled growth of wishes can mislead the view on the origin way in general or making a Mechwarrior "online" game especially.

How ever, this would be just "a nice to have" in my opinion, and also after everything else in the current plan is done. Russ said something like "that a singleplayer version/mode could be possible in the future" in his TownHall.

Edited by nonnex, 10 September 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#10 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:21 AM

I'd rather they do a Co-op PVE type mode where you can choose to play alone, rather than a true offline single player.

#11 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

Would pay for a single player campaign.

#12 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

Building lots of hype from little more than two minutes of fairly general, non-specific musing is only going to end in tears. That's something this community should be well aware of. :P

#13 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

PvE missioning is inevitable if MWO lasts long enough. Some MMOs never end, they just keep growing so we will hope for a living breathing Inner Sphere and Clan universe with Outreach and player owned dropships and invasion assets. Planetary conquest and defend with AI and player factions hiring Mercs when their own forces are too thin or unavailable. Some NPC Faction missions could be vs AI controlled Mechs in PvE tiered missions.

Of course I would love a stand-alone or merged dedicated Singleplayer MechWarrior game.

#14 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Will bots be used to fill the public queue?

#15 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 10 September 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

I'd rather they do a Co-op PVE type mode where you can choose to play alone, rather than a true offline single player.

I can't see a single player online PVE mode being implemented without the addition of fees. It costs money every time a match is launched on the servers. Providing a match to single player is much less efficient and much more expensive in resources than providing it to 24. A single player offline mode would be much more cost effective to play.

In addition, a single player off-line mode would require the AI to only run locally ... it would not require server resources.

On the other hand, online PVE co-op would require both server processes and AI to run on the servers. Depending on the number of players participating in the server session this would probably be the most resource intensive option ... and thus would probably also require some sort of payment to activate (even if it is (at a minimum) active premium time).

#16 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

I think there are a million and one things that could do and/or need to focus on with the multiplayer version rather than wasting resources on a single player version.

Seriously a boat load of map, adding realistic scenario type battles, adding multiplayer RPG elements, hell adding a full multiplayer game to the game where you have avatars that can get out of their mech and walk around, perform missions, etc would be huge. Basically I would rather them turn this game into a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER experience instead of an arena shooter with a single play campaign.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users