56 replies to this topic

#21 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostEgomane, on 03 September 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

I do not know if it was a "good part", but it was a "noisy part". I feel for those who really had a problem with this. I do not believe that it is half the player base, like it appeared to be.

We had reticle shake all the while the mech was in the air and a few people started complaining that they get motion sick from it, while moving with jumpjets. It is my believe (and I can not prove it in any way), that this caused the ones, who didn't want their toys to be taken away, to use it as a valid complaint to get PGI to make a compromise (though I guess they wanted it removed completly). The forum literally exploded with users who were unable to play the game, because they became motion sick.

so that's PGI's backhand then? People didn't like their "extra clever" gimmick of a ****** up reticle, and so they **** up the jumpjets? They could have just as easily changed the accuracy or the damage stats of fire during jets. I'm completely willing to believe that a shaky mech's arms and chest mounted weaponry would vibrato where a digital crosshairs on my digital HUD would not. But no lets punish the lads and kekekeke behind their backs when we take away their air mobility. Only people who used jumpjets were poptarters anyway, right?! Christ on a crumpet!

View Postnonnex, on 03 September 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

Some tips on this:

Watch your consumption of foods, drinks, and alcohol before and during playing MWO.
Avoid excessive alcohol and foods or liquids that "do not agree with you" or make you feel unusually full. Heavy, spicy, or fat-rich foods may worsen motion sickness in some people.
Avoiding strong food odors may also help prevent nausea.
Try to choose a seat where you will experience the least motion. On a Mech, those in lower level Parts near the center of a Mech generally experience less motion than Pilots in higher or outer cockpitss.
Do not sit facing backwards from your direction of travel.
Sit in the front seat of a Mech.
Do not read while piloting if you are prone to motion sickness.
When piloting a Mech, it can sometimes help to keep your gaze fixed on the horizon or on a fixed point.
Open a vent or source of fresh air if possible.
Isolate yourself from others who may be suffering from motion sickness. Hearing others talk about motion sickness or seeing others becoming ill can sometimes make you feel ill yourself.
Ask a doctor if you repeatedly develop severe motion sickness.

These tips are for free but you can donate tenbux if you feel better after using them.

you forgot "do not operate a moving mech if you are a dog"

#22 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

Well count me as one that LIKES the JJ nerf because it neutered the absurd amount of Jump sniping that was dominating gameplay.

On the other hand, I would have been happy if they kept them the same or similar in power and re-instituted the JJ shake because it was working against the snipers just fine until a bunch of people complained about motion sickness.

Those that complained about it were the abusers and it was a handy mantra to effect change, and now because of them we have this instead.

They should have just, maybe, possibly learned to use mechs that run along the ground.

#23 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 03 September 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Those that complained about it were the abusers and it was a handy mantra to effect change, and now because of them we have this instead.

proove it or else this is just accusatory bullshit.
really frakkin easy to demonize the poptarters who still poptarted after the changes so far as I saw.

It takes my eyes time to get used to playing the game regularly without needing to look away, and I have pretty good (only slightly degraded)vision normally. I complained but oh I must have been lying through my teeth about the headaches and discomfort I got from shaky screens and reticles popping all over the place. Sure it looked cool, but it was annoying as complete **** when all I want to do is jump behind your assault mech and blow its ass off. But hey we have our scapegoat so lets put all negative changes on them. Nothing else could be done, no one could have predicted... yeah right :rolleyes:

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 03 September 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#24 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 03 September 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

really frakkin easy to demonize the poptarters who still poptarted after the changes so far as I saw.

It takes my eyes time to get used to playing the game regularly without needing to look away, and I have pretty good (only slightly degraded)vision normally. I complained but oh I must have been lying through my teeth about the headaches and discomfort I got from shaky screens and reticles popping all over the place. Sure it looked cool, but it was annoying as complete **** when all I want to do is jump behind your assault mech and blow its ass off. But hey we have our scapegoat so lets put all negative changes on them. Nothing else could be done, no one could have predicted... yeah right :rolleyes:

You nailed it, I am making accusatory bullshit. I'm sure some people did get nauseous with JJ shake, but as I said they could rectify the problem by not using JJs anymore. That or quit the game, something that's been said to me many times when i complain about, well, all the stuff PGI gives me to complain about.

I'm also sure that PGI did a typical knee-jerk reaction and removed the shake too quickly. Hell, they needed to fix other changes to the game for months and never did a thing, why did they rush this? They could have left it for a month and taken the time to see just how "big a deal" it was to the community. I'm just saying that I think it was overblown and while it did affect some people, like you, the way they claimed, a lot of others used it as an excuse because it affected their gameplay, not their stomachs.

It's unfortunate that this was a real problem for you, but since the game isn't all about Jump sniping, you could have adapted your style and kept playing. Truth is, you were in a minority with this problem and as a whole the game would have carried merrily along if JJ shake had remained, albeit without a few (hundred or so?) people who quit because of it.

PGIs usual heavy-handed touch is at fault here. they could have gone to some middle ground solution, or at least tried it. How about re-introducing a milder form of shake (like just the reticule) along with weakened (but more powerful than is currently available) Jump jets?

#25 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

I am ok with how jumpjets work atm. IS mechs need their mobility nerfs removed (accl., deaccl., twist aso.) and not to be made into gundams.

Edited by Budor, 03 September 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#26 Bacl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUsually between a rock and a Atlas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Jumping is a feature, fine.

Jump sniping, not with perfect convergence, sorry try again.

#27 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 03 September 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

PGIs usual heavy-handed touch is at fault here. they could have gone to some middle ground solution, or at least tried it. How about re-introducing a milder form of shake (like just the reticule) along with weakened (but more powerful than is currently available) Jump jets?

I'll sign on to that. If I had to choose, I'd definitely take stronger jumpjets. Hell that's 40% of why I love Mechwarrior games in the first place. Pinpoint accuracy never did me any favors. They should only allow PPA if you're standing still and have one eye closed.

(I never really minded jumpsnipers. they were the easiest ones to sneak up on because they usually ran in low numbers and stayed in one spot. sniper hunting when tourmaline first came out was some of the greatest fun I had with MWO...jumping up to those high beams to sneak up on someone who thought they were "safe". Or dropping down on someone...god now I'm getting nostalgia. God why is there so much dust in here...getting in my eyes...don't look at me...look away. I'm a mess. Someone give me a handkerchief. This game used to be so much fun)

#28 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

If you believed the community then I'd say the majority are suffering from "motion sickness" in regards to screen shake
(yet playing the game in a jenner while spinning circles at 150/kph was fine)

#29 Bacl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUsually between a rock and a Atlas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 03 September 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

This is something i simply dont get, if your allergic to peanuts, would you really try to eat them? Then if the screen shake is making you sick when you use Jumpjets, WHY USE JUMPJETS??????!!!!!!!!!!!! Because its simply fun or because poptarting is a broken mechanic for "pro players"?

#30 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostSICk Nick, on 02 September 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Jumping is a feature. and I suggest it gets fixed.

That is all

"NOOOOO OMG NOOOO THOSE DAMN JUMP SNIPER META PEOPLE IS UNFAIR. I JUST WANT TO LOG ON AFTER WORK, HAVE A BEER AND HAVE CASUAL FUN!!! DAMN THOSE SJR AND LORDS USING JUMPING TO KILL ME!! ICAN'T DO IT, SO THEY SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO!!! UNFAIR!!!

#31 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostBacl, on 03 September 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

This is something i simply dont get, if your allergic to peanuts, would you really try to eat them? Then if the screen shake is making you sick when you use Jumpjets, WHY USE JUMPJETS??????!!!!!!!!!!!! Because its simply fun or because poptarting is a broken mechanic for "pro players"?

I understand there are legitimate examples of this, he also needs to understand that, like most things in life, there are many who want to take advantage of his true need and jump on the bandwagon because it made the game easier for them and just used it as an excuse to get it reduced without suffering from that issue

#32 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

yah if it were actually 150kph, you'd have a point. My mouse sensitivity is way down so even if I'm looking from left to right, it's still pretty smooth. And being able to control your direction and predict what kind of visual stimuli you're expecting makes a big difference. I can focus on one part of the screen and know where to move my eyes accordingly. When everything is chaotic, it takes more adjusting and effort on top of discomfort.

I used to play Halo games on Sensitivity 8 . and who knows, maybe most of the community would have eventually adjusted or found some way to live with it. But to me it seems a crappy thing to have to get used to, out of the blue, when everything was working so well before.

#33 ei8ht

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 82 posts
  • Locationobscured by ECM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 02 September 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

...then they changed the way JJs worked, and then they "fixed" them. INow jumping is like Walking+. It's for "increased mobility' only. Meaning you can jump over waist high obstacles, or maybe jump during a brawl and flash your dangly bits in your enemy's face while they fire SRM missiles directly into your crotch. You know, a defensive maneuver. No more jumping over your enemies head and landing behind, no more skilful games of mouse & cat.

I LOLed.

You have so aptly described the feeling I get every time I jump during brawling, so much so that I now hesitate to use them as much as I used to, then again it helps your heat dissipation not jumping when you're red lining.

What hurt the most was not shedding heat anymore when jumping. gimped lights and brawlers, did nothing to tarts.

Edited by ei8ht, 03 September 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#34 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostBacl, on 03 September 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Because if I can't jump I may as well be playing tabletop or megamek. I have been jumping since MW1. I loved that extra part of the 3D dynamic. This isn't peanut brickle, this is a fighting game where you're in a cockpit. if they could have implemented it in a way that didn't agrivate, I'd be fine with it. Let us control our rate of shake while keeping the effects on weapon accuracy static, fine. No one will be accurate but I won't feel like i'm in the planetfall sequence of the original Aliens computer game either.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 03 September 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#35 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Problem is, just like any service, the most disatisfied customers will complain on the phone or in this case, forums.

Thus you get diluted little nooblets running around who's first PC game is MechWarrior Online and they don't understand why they are getting ***** so they blame the weapons and playstyle of the players they last recall ****** them in their tiny cerebrums.

This would be actually fine, so long as PGI consulted the tier 1 competiition teams and modeled the game balance for competition, like CSGO or games like LoL.

Of course, NO, they just apparently sifle through the random posts of Joe Schmo mad about PPCs or gauss or something that jumps (Joe Schmo just heard about CSGO and has the FPS capacity of a rodent). This is what they balance the game off of, the bottom feeder, lowest grade of novice MWO player they can find, raging at the game because it's too FPS like or too arcady.

#36 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 02 September 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Im not sure what people are complaining about but JJ are working fine for me and my mechs, oh but I don't poptart.

I think JJ's are a little bad right now, but not by much. My CPLT-C1 with max JJ's can barely get up a wall in Canyon Network.

PGI should have had shake affect a mech the whole time it is in the air instead of nerfing JJ's imo.

#37 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

@ArchMage: The Alien Dropship com 64 Sound is Epic
@Wolfways: Why to you pilot IS Mechs? Be a Wolf or change your Faction, otherwise its schizophrenic.
@Energy: I'm glad you are here to explain us everything.

Edited by nonnex, 03 September 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#38 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

View Postnonnex, on 03 September 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

@ArchMage: The Alien Dropship com 64 Sound is Epic
@Wolfways: Why to you pilot IS Mechs? Be a Wolf or change your Faction, otherwise its shizophrenic.
@Energy: Good to have you here to explain us everything.

No problem, I'm an infinite source of valuable information.

#39 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

infinite has a heavy weight meaning. in this case I hope you're not imploding, end as a singularity and gain wisdom who has never reached.

Edited by nonnex, 03 September 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#40 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 02 September 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Im not sure what people are complaining about but JJ are working fine for me and my mechs, oh but I don't poptart.

I only use JJ's for extra turning ability or to clear small obstacles and they work just fine for me. True I do have to carry several on my Timby for it to be useful, but it really isn't that much of an issue for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users