Images For Map Ideas.

24 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Ok guys I thought it would be fun to have a thread for example images of the kinds of maps you would like to have. Some of the best searches you can do is for concept art and matte painting.

Some ideas..

1. Forest map but on a scale that shows it could only be on an alien planet. Trees would be like huge buildings that dwarfed the mechs. A lot of the foliage would be high above you with the forest for being less complex to make the engine handle it better. The tree trunks would be huge and the canapy above would let in bright sun in some places and creat shadows in other places. The forest floor could also have ancient ruins like angkor wat with its giant faces and tree roots growing over and around buildings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Huge scale alien city. By this a mean a city where the building giant and you are moving and fighting in the confines below them. In this area at the bottom you can do a lot with levels. Train tracks that go through and between buildings. Road ways that go under around and through buildings. This would also be a good map for lots of interesting neo lighting and signs etc.

Posted Image

3. Truelly strange alien landscape. This would be designed to make it very clear you are on a strange alien planet unlike anything you had seen before.

Posted Image

3. A giant space ring style space station.

Posted Image

4. In and around a massive crashed ship.

Posted Image

More to come and please share yours.

#2 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

5. Alien looking underground complex.

Posted Image

6. Edge of huge city.

Posted Image

#3 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

alien won't work with BT lore....

#4 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

Alien as in a planet that is not earth so does not look exactly like earth.

#5 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

As much as I want the community to have input on maps, I don't think it'll ever happen. Plus, there's already a rather large thread on the boards somewhere that had a similar concept.

Having said all that, I'd really love to see how battles would play out on large rolling plains.
Hard cover would be non-existent, but you'd be able to break LOS by finding some of the larger hills. All of the elevation changes would be really interesting to fight on, but unlike Canyon Network there wouldn't be any slopes that our Mechs couldn't walk up.

Posted Image

Ideally this map would be massive, allowing the ability to flank without being noticed (without ECM). Whatever the largest Sensor Range is (including quirks [if any of those affect Sensor Range]. Modules..etc) would be the absolute minimum diameter radius of this map.

With or without trees would be fine. Wouldn't matter if it was on Terra or some bizarro alien world with 10 moons and no atmosphere. The fun would all be in the open rolling hills.

(Sorry for the rather large pic, it was the best rolling hills I could find within 1 second of google searching for it)

Edited by Fut, 03 September 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#6 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Stahp. Saying. Alien. No alienz! :P

If you're using it to mean foreign, just remember that everything's 'alien' in BattleTech.

There are no ruins, becasue that means ancient civilizations that don't exist in BT.

By 'alien city' I'm assuming you just mean really big city.

I don't think there's any ring style stations in BT. I might be wrong, but it sounds awfully Halo-like.

So the ideas are interesting, and would probably work, but I'd rather see more maps that represent more generic locations. We still don't have a Dustbowl map, for example. Maps don't need to be so needlessly complicated as to take half a year to develop.

#7 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Top idea for a map would be a city center with high buildings and broad streets with tighter side streets and alley ways.

Although I always hoped they would add a Dune style map with rolling dunes to use as cover only. Sand storms and massive due to the low demands of this kind of map. Im sure it wouldnt be the most popular but it would add a different element to what we have and it might be a quick one to make.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#8 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

How about an under water map?

#9 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

View Postkeith, on 03 September 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Squawk?

Posted Image

#10 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 September 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Top idea for a map would be a city center with high buildings and broad streets with tighter side streets and alley ways.

Would love this as well.
Bonus points to PGI if they avoid making all roadways Assault Mech size. There should be some roads that only smaller Mechs could fit through, and even smaller alleyways that only Light Mechs could squeeze through.

Think of the brawling on a map like that.

View PostLauLiao, on 03 September 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

How about an under water map?

Would be amazing, as long as PGI actually slowed the Mech movement down.

Edited by Fut, 03 September 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#11 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 03 September 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Squawk?

Posted Image

A playable alien race would be a great pilot option even if many didnt take it. I bet a hawk like race sitting in the pilot seat would be cool.

Also what about UFO's? They could some time far far down the road add some kind of rare alien encounter. :) I mean cmon have some imagination.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 September 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#12 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Only two alien races have been found in battletech. And both were primitives.

We are our own worst enemy.

And speaking of which, why not a military base to fight in. Tanks, aircraft and sundry all over. You know something that WOULD be fought over.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 03 September 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Only two alien races have been found in battletech. And both were primitives.

We are our own worst enemy.

And speaking of which, why not a military base to fight in. Tanks, aircraft and sundry all over. You know something that WOULD be fought over.

just replace the Assault Turrets with Tanks, and I would love this.

#14 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 03 September 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Squawk? Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

How about this one?
Posted Image

#16 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Under water combat should suck! Energy weapons would just attenuate, causing steam and bubbles. Projectiles would either fragment almost immediately after leaving the barrel or just bounce off mechs like pebbles thrown at the side of the house.

Anything but placing the weapon against the target mech's hull should result in basically nothing.

#17 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostFut, on 03 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

As much as I want the community to have input on maps, I don't think it'll ever happen. Plus, there's already a rather large thread on the boards somewhere that had a similar concept.

Having said all that, I'd really love to see how battles would play out on large rolling plains.
Hard cover would be non-existent, but you'd be able to break LOS by finding some of the larger hills. All of the elevation changes would be really interesting to fight on, but unlike Canyon Network there wouldn't be any slopes that our Mechs couldn't walk up.

Posted Image

Ideally this map would be massive, allowing the ability to flank without being noticed (without ECM). Whatever the largest Sensor Range is (including quirks [if any of those affect Sensor Range]. Modules..etc) would be the absolute minimum diameter radius of this map.

With or without trees would be fine. Wouldn't matter if it was on Terra or some bizarro alien world with 10 moons and no atmosphere. The fun would all be in the open rolling hills.

(Sorry for the rather large pic, it was the best rolling hills I could find within 1 second of google searching for it)

I really want a massive Dune Sea map, with LOTS of rolling hills/dunes that can be climbed and hidden behind.

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostFut, on 03 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

MWLL's "Sandblasted" map was exactly this. It was a great map.

View PostBhael Fire, on 03 September 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

I really want a massive Dune Sea map, with LOTS of rolling hills/dunes that can be climbed and hidden behind.

Again, see "Sandblasted". Plus, it had some pyramids.

Edited by Appogee, 03 September 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#19 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 03 September 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yeah, think Alpine, but without snow. People would LOVE the LRM capabilities...

#20 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

View Postverybad, on 04 September 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Yeah, think Alpine, but without snow. People would LOVE the LRM capabilities...

No, not at all like Alpine — aside from maybe the map's size.

It would be like a sea of rolling dunes of similar height so that there are no superior vantage points to get line of sight.

Basically, while hard cover would be virtually non-existent, losing line of sight would be extremely easy on this map. All forms of combat would be viable, especially brawling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users