I'm New Here. Halp Plz. :p

Help Me

7 replies to this topic

#1 Leviathan Lucas

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationAbilene, Tx, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hi, I'm fairly new to MechWarrior online. I'm a noob, I'll be the first to say that. What I was wondering is just basic play style and how to customize my mechs and which mechs are good. Basically, if it's common knowledge, I don't know it, and you should help me because you're nice.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Here's a list of guides, this will cover pretty much everything http://mwomercs.com/...uidestutorials/

You can't customize any mechs until you've bought one; in the mean time you have a pile of "trial mechs" you can borrow.

Most mechs are pretty good, although they're good at different things. A super fast Jenner with 6 medium lasers is doing a very different job than a Heavy mech kitted to be a sniper.

You'll want to play the trial mechs, see what you like. Save your C-bills. You get a free bonus fro your first 25 matches called a "cadet bonus", after 25 matches you can buy your own mech and start customizing. Choose carefully, although if you make a real stinker of it you can always make a new account and collect the cadet bonus again ;)

Welcome aboard, please feel free to ask any specific questions that come up :)

#3 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

Welcome to MWO, have a seat, there's a lot to learn. I'll make this post assuming that you know the basic movements of piloting a mech, since you chose a faction and are therefore likely to be familiar with the franchise. There's a ton of strategies, but I tired so I'll keep it short and just list two major things.

First, torso-twisting to negate damage. There's a ton on this forum about torso twisting, because it works. The idea is that you spread out damage, especially that from lasers, across your entire chassis, and especially towards any shield arms or deadweight torsos (arms/torso that don't carry weapons or ammo). This is a great way to deal with LRMs as well, as it spreads damage across your chassis rather than having it focus on and destroy a particular component. There's more in this thread that was posted with an accompanying video that was posted recently. Be sure to give them a like for the video :)

http://mwomercs.com/...reading-damage/

The second, and most important can be summarized in a single word.

COMMUNICATION!

A team comprised of twelve average players that are communicating quite well will defeat a team comprised of twelve veteran mutes consistently. There is no weapon, no module, no mech, no meta build, and no amount of dakka, regardless of how excessive it is, that will be more useful to the team than effectively communicating with each other. Teamwork is important in any team-based PvP game, and for obvious reasons, but I can hardly think of any games where it is more important than MWO.

For more general stuff, I'm sure a lot of people will come into here to help. Listen to them, because they know what they're talking about. If they post a video, watch it, because it will help you. Honestly, this is one of the most open and friendly forums I have been a part of, and there's a lot of information to draw from to improve.

Now if you'll excuse me, dream world is calling me - Deedeedee is causing trouble once more.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 05 September 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 05 September 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

COMMUNICATION!

A team comprised of twelve average players that are communicating quite well will defeat a team comprised of twelve veteran mutes consistently. There is no weapon, no module, no mech, no meta build, and no amount of dakka, regardless of how excessive it is, that will be more useful to the team than effectively communicating with each other. Teamwork is important in any team-based PvP game, and for obvious reasons, but I can hardly think of any games where it is more important than MWO.

Seconding this, but with a warning, many people have reported that most PuG players pay little to no attention to the chat.
How do you work around that?
There is a module that helps - the UAV
(40k Cbills or 15mc - the Cbill one catches up to the value of the MC one with GXP use)

The UAV highlights every hostile under it, which is (in my experience at least) one of the best ways to "herd" your PuG.

Edit: as for playstyles I will say this:
Clan mechs (Kit Fox, Adder, Nova, Stormcrow, Sumoner, Timberwolf, Warhawk, and Direwolf) are among the best long range and/or damage over time fighters in the game (downsides, they run hot, and tend to spread damage all over the enemy)

IS chassis (all the rest) are better close range fighters and pinpoint damage users (Clan AC/20 fires 5 bullets, whichs spreads the damage, IS AC20 fires one, putting all it's damage in one spot)
Downsides: shorter range and slower damage (offset by putting more of it in one spot)

So which playstyle you prefer can have an impact on which mechs you want.
More than that and I/we would need more info on how you want to play

Edited by Shar Wolf, 05 September 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

Alright. Last post before I go to bed (early shift and late shift coming up; was doing laundry).

First, welcome to MWO.

Second, trial mechs are essentially permanent loaners that you can't customize. I say permanent because you can't hide them once you have 130+ mechs of your own either. :( And I say loaners because that's the best way to describe them.

Now. Basic weapons:
Laser weapons are hot. They do damage in beams, but the beam has to stay on target to do 'real' damage. Just swinging a laser pointer won't do much, but if you hold it on something long enough you'll do some real damage.
Advantages include:
Even if you 'start' to miss you can still put it on target before it finishes firing.
"Instantly" hits. No matter the range, you're killing things with light!

Machine guns, if you use them, behave like lasers. They travel instantly. Ignore the particle effect. They aren't terribly useful on their own, but they are cold and they run great.

You should avoid Flamers. Until collision registration is fixed, they haven't got much use (they go 'through' enemies. Yes they still do damage, but there's no way to justify their existence when they can't blind enemies as it is by far the most useless thing you can use for a weapon).

PPCs or Particle Projection Canon behaves like an energy-based cannon. They are also obscenely hot.

Missiles were apparently supplied by Costco at wholesale prices. You'll find lots of them and individually they are about as effective as 8 to 16 machine gun bullets. But in larger numbers you'll hate to be on the receiving end.

Autocannons are obscenely heavy weapon systems that can put the hurt on your enemies. Unless you're in a Clan mech, in which case your ammunition is supplied by a beanie-bag manufacturer. Just be careful. Being hit by 20 beanie bags in less than 0.6 seconds can still hurt.

-----

Battlemechs. Every mech in MWO (not BT, just MWO) has exactly two targeting reticules. The + (torso) and the o (arms). On the Clan mechs the torso is represented by an X instead. With armlock turned off you can attack in two different directions at once if you really wanted to. You also get a larger range of motion.

Weapon groups are set with the Arrow Keys and the Right CTRL key. You can also set them in the mechlab.

Throttle Decay is a training wheel that gives you the driving ability of my great grand mother who only knew two speeds. "Faster than the speeding limit" and "screeching stop." You can use the numberpad to set your cruise control, or turn off Throttle Decay to put cruise control under W and S. (X for full stop).

-------------------

Your "Radar" only works in the forward direction. It would be more accurate to call these sensors. They have a range of 850 meters. You can boost this. However most people use other team mates to get locks beyond their own ability. Press R to get a target acquisition. Hold the crosshairs on it to lock if your weapons (Streaks or LRMs) use locks.

ECM can cause mechs to disappear from your sensors. "Low Signal" on your minimap is also a bad sign that someone might be behind you (or simply near you) with ECM.

--------------

Once you start shooting somewhere, keep at it!
To get a kill in MWO you can't just generally shoot them. Every body part has its own armor and health values. It is possible for a battlemech to lose both arms, both side torsos as well as one leg and still keep coming at you (ZOMG ZOMBIE MECHS!). So keep that in mind. Just to mention it, no one can survive losing both legs. Just keep track of which leg you destroyed or you'll waste your time shooting a broken leg that no longer matters.

---------

General gameplay: There are many common 'roles' that you might see, from the brawler to the support mech to the tanker to the nuisance. I'm sure you'll find your niche.

Unfortunately, right now objectives beyond kill the other team do not pay enough to be worth attempting. On assault, capturing the base for a new player is far more dangerous than trying to kill all 12 players by yourself. It may be better staying near someone big and slow and remembering that they can serve as portable cover.

Much like this big guy. (I would be the big dude [the Atlas]. Though there are many voices, any voice besides mine [and the unrecorded voice of the little 'camera' you are seeing it through] are not in the same match.)

Through much of this video, the little Commando that you see everything from is not only filming the Atlas but also tries to use the Atlas for cover and protection and, in turn, provides similar protection from smaller and faster threats.

For a lance-size example of the above.. long range

Or close quarters

Working a team whenever possible is great. When playing by yourself however, remember so is all 23 of the other players in the fight with you. Talk to them with Y (your entire team) or U (your squad, the teal-colored blips). Never know, they might help you stay alive and vice versa.

There's plenty more, but it's late.
Good luck!

#6 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostLeviathan Lucas, on 05 September 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

Hi, I'm fairly new to MechWarrior online. I'm a noob, I'll be the first to say that. What I was wondering is just basic play style and how to customize my mechs and which mechs are good. Basically, if it's common knowledge, I don't know it, and you should help me because you're nice.

it's a lot of things, reading the guides as some posted are great, as well as some of the tips they listed.

Now, IMO, it's redundant, I would advise meeting up a good set of players and talking to them on coms/ts3 for tips.

#7 BullFrogOnNet

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

In game ask for help and if you tag behind some other players and learn from them. Since the Unit patch was in start to get to know what Units are good and watch them if you die for pointers. Don't always quit after you die watch good players in spectator mode.

#8 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

I would also suggest that you watch some of the more experienced players like Koniving, or some of the guys from ngngtv on youtube or twitch. You can learn a lot about positioning and movement just from watching, and the vids can be highly entertaining. Oh, and I must also mention TheB33f...

Edited by Sword of Morning, 08 September 2014 - 01:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users