What Happened To The Swirling Missiles?

21 replies to this topic

#1 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

I was just curious about what happened to that feature or if it's still there but needs a specific video setting to see them swirl while traveling through the air. Did it eat up too much memory?

Sidenote: Other than that it seems with every adjustment something gets lost from the original setup that seemed to have little to no problem with gameplay. (Though I'm glad the "gyro overload" feature was removed 'cause it'd just be annoying since the mechs would simply be bowling pins. "Hey, bowling ball.. go knock those mechs over so we can pummel them while they're trying to stand back up!"

The famous missilefest example

A few swirling SRM examples in this one

#2 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

I was never impressed by the visuals of SRMs in this game. They look more like an ugly blob of shotgun pellets than a swarm of missiles, almost like a bunch of LBX acs. If anyone played the Virtual World Battletech simulator pods back in the day, they'd remember what missiles are supposed to look like. Basically, more Macross.

#3 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

The Artemis Swirling Missile pattern? Yeah, was patched out because it tended to focus missiles on the Center Torso of the target mechs. That was obviously bad, so had to be gotten rid of in favor of an attack pattern that didn't do that.

#4 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

It was removed due to how at certain ranges the swirling caused all the missiles to converge on a single point, often hitting a single component and dealing disproportionate damage.

#5 Vertigo 1

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

A shame they couldn't work out the missile paths. These look way cooler than they way they look now. -_-

#6 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

A lot of things were cooler before than now...like the heat levels of most sensible builds.

#7 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Mmm.. no.. not with or without artemis.. just the action of the missiles in general. It seems like when it first started, the missiles actually looked like missiles. When I use them now.. it feels like I'm sneezing on my opponent instead of launching missiles.

Your "tended to focus missiles on the Center Torso of the target mechs." seems to be talking about how the streak missiles worked. I'm only talking about LRM/SRM not SSRM 'cause I figure Streak missiles are supposed to shoot straight with no swirl effect to random parts of the targeted mech.

The old missiles still fanned out accordingly to the range of the targeted mech and you'll notice in the first vid with all the LRM Carrying Awesome 'Mechs there were stray missiles that completely missed their target due to the swirl effect.. Now they pretty much just go straight as if they're riding a rail with or without artemis so there's no guessing as to where they're going to hit.

I guess it's just pure visuals since the old style left you guessing where the SRMs were going to hit but now they just fly straight regardless of the angle you launch them at so there's no guessing where they're going to hit if they hit at all.

View PostScratx, on 05 September 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

The Artemis Swirling Missile pattern? Yeah, was patched out because it tended to focus missiles on the Center Torso of the target mechs. That was obviously bad, so had to be gotten rid of in favor of an attack pattern that didn't do that.

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

It also wreaked havoc with the hit detection.

#9 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

I wonder how Missiles would be if they had an even larger minimum range and behavior set. Does anyone remember how they behaved in Mech Assault 1 on the xbox?

I know that game isn't BattleTech by a long shot (was fun on consoles though), but the LRMs in that game tended to arc away from your mech before homing in on their designated targets.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostScratx, on 05 September 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Actually, I had serious problems where I was -- with Artemis -- CONSTANTLY killing mechs by their LEGS, arms, side torsos, and head.

Not sure if I had much in the way of CT hits. I'm really not. Lots of leg kills though.

The huge issue is that they tended to hit buildings.. A lot.
And invisible walls along hillsides.
And teammates. Pretty infamous for tearing through teammates due to the scatter pattern of standard LRMs (non-Artemis).

Lots of LRMs here.

Impacts: LT, RT, Head, no CT on the first set to hit me.
This was 1.8 damage LRM-5s with Artemis! Look at that SCATTER! YAY! So much scatter and such inefficiency at killing things.

Look at all them missiles.

Watch the kills and damages dealt.

Watch the kills and damages dealt.

Now compare to today's missiles.

It's all part of PGI's trend of making this game more instant-death oriented and as ugly as feasibly possible.
Compare this...

to this. Cockpit movement. The environment. Everything. It just downgraded. Hugely downgraded.

#11 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

Eventually one day they might add Short Range Missiles instead of Short Range Rockets.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 05 September 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Eventually one day they might add Short Range Missiles instead of Short Range Rockets.

On that day, "made by PGI" will say made by "Gaijin Entertainment."

....and Liao will be overpowered as it's the closest to Russian you're gonna get.

#13 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

Koniving, it's rather amusing how your LRM 90 catapult 'mech in the Alpine Peaks map didn't have artemis yet the grouping of the missiles were just as tight as if they were. Or is it just because the armpods for the catapult force the missiles to be grouped so tightly?

EDIT: I agree with you with the downgrade of video performance from then and now. Seems the game is putting too much of a burden on the servers for "Higher Quality Graphics" unless there's something else going on that's causing the gameplay to suffer.

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 06 September 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#14 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Good to know but did they say why it was patched out? I guess I didn't join until after the 12 vs 12 teams came around.

View PostMechwarrior Mousse, on 05 September 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

It was patched out a while ago. Q4 last year I think.

#15 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostMechwarrior Mousse, on 05 September 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

It was patched out a while ago. Q4 last year I think.

Sounds about right. I believe the stated reason was that it looked unrealistic, which it did. It's a shame though, I liked it when my LRMs scattered all over the place when I lost lock, at least when they were like that you'd usually still hit something. I must have killed tens of thousands of civilians on River City back then...
Eh, there's more where they came from. :P

#16 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

The missiles would break from their group and just go off in all sorts of directions instead of just flying straight into the ground? Must've been amusing watching the death blossom effect happen fanning out like that.
1:28 short range (streak?) missiles and 3:39 would be the long range missiles. with how they worked then in MW:O and the part at the end 4:20 is pretty much how the LRMs work now.

As for them not looking realistic.. when we launch them now it's rather boring just seeing them riding invisible rails to their target.

View PostSatan n stuff, on 19 September 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Sounds about right. I believe the stated reason was that it looked unrealistic, which it did. It's a shame though, I liked it when my LRMs scattered all over the place when I lost lock, at least when they were like that you'd usually still hit something. I must have killed tens of thousands of civilians on River City back then...

#17 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

Who the heck cares it looks unrealistic, giant mechs are unrealistic. It looked so sweet.
Indeed i stopped using my Catapult rather soon after i realized the effect was gone (and when i realized how ugly CPTL-C4 looked due to those ******* extra missile tubes it got after the visual overhaul).
I'd imagine the hit location issue could be fixed while keeping the effect.

#18 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 19 September 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

I thought the reason was because they were focusing on CT too much or something to do with HSR.

#19 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

If you watched Koniving's vids about how the swirling missiles worked you would see that the missiles didn't concentrate on the CT as often as some players say. Then there's the x4 LRM 20 Awesome missile fest vid I posted in the first. There were plenty of missiles that completely missed their target because of the swirling.

View PostLyoto Machida, on 19 September 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I thought the reason was because they were focusing on CT too much or something to do with HSR.

#20 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 06 September 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

Koniving, it's rather amusing how your LRM 90 catapult 'mech in the Alpine Peaks map didn't have artemis yet the grouping of the missiles were just as tight as if they were. Or is it just because the armpods for the catapult force the missiles to be grouped so tightly?

Artemis only affects missile grouping on fire for SRMs, tightening up the cluster. On LRMs, Artemis purely affects their tracking/turning capabilities (and may or may not function only when the LRM launcher is directly locking their own target... it's not supposed to have effect when you're piggybacking a target lock, but I don't know that PGI has successfully instated that distinction or not. It's hard to tell) and does nothing about the clustering at all. The effect is that of improving the clustering, but that's mostly because each individual missile turns towards the center of the target 'mech as it approaches- which is only really noticeable when they're about to hit anyways, unless your target is moving PDQ.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 19 September 2014 - 05:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users