Diy Controller - Wii Nunchuck + Arduino, One-Handed!

No replies to this topic

#1 Andilar

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

If anyone is interested, I'm willing to take a shot at adapting the custom MWO controller code I wrote for the Arduino Esplora last winter to a Wii Nunchuck connected to an Arduino Micro. The big advantage is that the Wii Nunchuck is designed to be held in one hand. It has a small thumb joystick, a pair of buttons, and a three-axis accelerometer.

So... It would be possible to pilot (joystick), aim (accelerometer), and have two frequently-used keys (buttons) available one-handed, and also have access to the keyboard with that hand at the same time.

If you are aiming and firing with a mouse, you can have a Wii Nunchuck with piloting controls and two extra keys (say, jump jets and zoom toggle) and while you are using them also tap keys on the keyboard.

If you are one-handed, you can use the set-up to pilot, aim, and fire with one button, and have the other button disable the mouse pointer movement so you can tip over the Nunchuck and type without putting it down.

More generally, the set-up can be used as a one-handed mouse that you can hold onto while hunt-and-peck typing. It can substitute for keyboard-and-mouse game controls. It can also substitute for joystick-and-mouse or double-joystick game controls insofar as there is an option for mapping joystick or double-joystick outputs to keystroke commands.

Anyway, if MWO community members would to see more of this project, please post here. I haven't been in-game for a while since my low-end laptop had a disagreement with an update, but I would be happy to develop and share the code.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users